Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car + snow stupid question Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuredoc77)

This won't happen to you :nah:.
    Crazy people! They should have tapped the brakes and off while turning and plopped it on the right next to the silver car. If need be give it some boot and hope the fronts claw you in the right direction. Even if it's a slow speed bump and a "controlled crash" better than letting it go down the hill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    +1 what they did was well stupid. It seems british people are scared of snow when it comes to driving.
    Well our driving tests do nothing to prepare people for it, people are also not encouraged how to learn to live with the snow and so are afraid of it.

I don't by any means claim to be a good driver in any conditions but when it snowed I took myself onto a quiet road near my house and tried to give myself some practise, coaxing the car into slides and trying to recover. As fun as it was I think it helped.

Those people only behaved instinctively because they haven't been told any different. If you grow up with several weeks of snow every winter everyone seems to be fine with it, in Lithuania (and I'm sure many countries) it's the law to have winter tyres from something like the first week of November through to the beginning of May.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    They basically did everything they could have done wrong, wrong. If they'd let off the brakes a little so the wheels could still turn they would have been able to at least control the direction they were going in and possibly slow down a little bit more too. Then they bailed. How ****ing stupid was that?! Their ignorance is why the whole country just stops when we have a little bit of snow.
    To be fair to them it looks as if there was so little grip there whether they had the brakes on or off wouldn't have made much difference. Obviously you still need grip to turn and given how easily they slid I'm not sure there was enough to turn in any meaningful way.
    That bailing was a good argument for evolution though!

ReputationRep:
    I think we will hopefully see in this country a move towards more people using winter tyres, from what I have seen they work brilliantly compared to most normal summer road tyres, unfortunately of course the idiots who do things like in the video above will also be the ones who think 'ah I don't need those winter tyres'.

My Colway ctrax on the baja are doing well though, first out of our street which has a 20% gradient no problem and blasted (well relatively speaking, 25mph!) up a big hill in the overtaking lane with not a slip watching endless cars not going anywhere in lane 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Which way is the hill facing? You need to leave it in gear so that if you were to drive you would be going uphill. My car is currently parked facing down the hill so I have left it in reverse gear - if I were to drive like this I would then be going back up the hill. This just gives you a bit of extra security as you can leave it like this without the brakes on and it will stay in the same place.
    I don't understand why you would leave it in reverse?

Are you saying if you got in and drove the car by the time you pressed the clutched and selected reverse the car would start to slide down the hill assuming you left it in 1st gear?

You must live on some big arse hill!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motorsportUK)
    I don't understand why you would leave it in reverse?

Are you saying if you got in and drove the car by the time you pressed the clutched and selected reverse the car would start to slide down the hill assuming you left it in 1st gear?

You must live on some big arse hill!
    No, I'm not saying that at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, I'm not saying that at all.
    So what are you saying? Why not leave it in first gear?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So what are you saying? Why not leave it in first gear?
    You want it to be in the opposite direction to the hill, which is what I was trying to illustrate. So if putting it in reverse gear would enable you to drive up the hill (if you were driving, but you're not as you're leaving it, as that's what the topic is about!) then you want to leave it in reverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You want it to be in the opposite direction to the hill, which is what I was trying to illustrate. So if putting it in reverse gear would enable you to drive up the hill (if you were driving, but you're not as you're leaving it, as that's what the topic is about!) then you want to leave it in reverse.
    Do you have any knowledge on how a car works?

Put a car in first and try and push it back
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any knowledge on how a car works?

Put a car in first and try and push it back
    Of course I know how cars work. There's a petrol fairy that fills it up, an MOT fairy that makes it pass, and a magic car cleaning fairy that makes it all shiny.

I'd rather not; I might break a nail.

ReputationRep:
    What juno said is right, leave it in reverse, the opposite direction. The car is facing down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by efexor)
    What juno said is right, leave it in reverse, the opposite direction. The car is facing down
    Explain why leaving it in reverse makes any difference to leaving it in first gear?

The gear wont turn until the engine is running or the gear is disengaged using the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    Reverse can be a higher ratio than the forward gears which would mean more resistance to beginning to roll. would depend on the make/model afaict though.

fwiw I think either forward or reverse would be alright whichever way you parked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Reverse can be a higher ratio than the forward gears which would mean more resistance to beginning to roll. would depend on the make/model afaict though.

fwiw I think either forward or reverse would be alright whichever way you parked.
    That was my point Just the other person seemed to think you HAD to leave it in reverse :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You want it to be in the opposite direction to the hill, which is what I was trying to illustrate.
    No you don't - you want the lowest possible gear.

lowest gear = higher engine speed in relation to wheel speed during any potential runaway = more energy needed to overcome the engine and continue the runaway = less chance of rolling away for any distance

Which direction the gears would move you on the hill is completely irrelevant - if you are facing downhill and in reverse, reverse won't magically act like some sort of handbrake just because it moves the car in the other direction. What will keep the car steady will be the effect of the engine through the gearbox, and therefore you weant to choose the gear with the lowest ratio (normally 1st is lower than reverse which is usually equal to

ReputationRep:
    When you grow up living in the country, you soon learn how to drive in snow and ice. The key is to pretend the middle pedal is connected to a million volts and drive accordingly. It also helps to drive anticipating a skid: straighten every corner as much as possible. Don't oversteer, don't break and don't accelerate in low gears.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)

lowest gear = higher engine speed in relation to wheel speed during any potential runaway = more energy needed to overcome the engine and continue the runaway = less chance of rolling away for any distance

Which direction the gears would move you on the hill is completely irrelevant - if you are facing downhill and in reverse, reverse won't magically act like some sort of handbrake just because it moves the car in the other direction. What will keep the car steady will be the effect of the engine through the gearbox, and therefore you weant to choose the gear with the lowest ratio (normally 1st is lower than reverse which is usually equal to
    Someone give that man a mars bar!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFatController)

As much as this is true, the Highway code states that you should put it in reverse when pointing downhill and in first when pointing uphill. What you say is very true (although reverse in my car is about the same ratio as first, if not lower) but either can be accepted as good practice. I think we can all agree that not leaving it in gear at all is foolish :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have winter tyres on my car. Best £300 I ever spent.

They are amazing, a revelation not just in the snow, but they work better below 7C in wet, dry, ice, snow, perfect for our winters. I have not tried them in the snow yet as scared of inexperienced people on summer tyres ploughing into me as I stop 10x quicker than they do...

I think winter tyres should be law, especially in the North.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    That was my point Just the other person seemed to think you HAD to leave it in reverse :rolleyes:
    Well, at least I can read

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.