Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Considering getting a PS3 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ps3, if not purely for metal gear solid 4... just amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone hate the playstation controller?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    Guess I'm an idiot then?

Oh wait, best choice I've made in a long time.....
    This. I purchased a PS3 after owning a 360, best choice I technological choice I ever made, besides buying an iPad of course!

PS3 is so much better, the online isn't as good as 360 but apart from that it wins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Why does everyone hate the playstation controller?
    Personally, the 360's controller is a much better shape - if you have big hands the PS3 controller seems a little awkward. Plus I prefer the triggers on the 360 one, and the analog sticks are in a better place... that might just be me though.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a good idea to get my boyfriend a ps3 for Christmas?

He loves playing car games on his old playstations. I asked him if he wanted one he said he liked old games, but I can't tell if it's just him being weird about me spending too much money.

ReputationRep:
    The PS3 of course, with its superior graphics and free online play, plus its ease of compatibility and in my opinion better exlusives, gooooo fot it! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Wow just got negged for apparently even considering getting a PS3
    Either it's a 360 fanboy who doesn't think someone having both consoles is allowed, or a PS3 fanboy who thinks I should never have bought a 360 in the first place, or a PC gamer who doesn't realise I also game on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    I briefly owned a PS3 and it seemed that Uncharted was so far and away the best game that it embarassed everything else.

For my tastes, there are only 3 (exclusive) reasons for me to buy a PS3 now: Uncharted 2 , Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet (but I suspect that I would give up on that quickly).
    Ratchet and Clank actually puts me off the PS3 - a derivative platformer that is more about shooting and gimmicks than platforming and that takes ideas from other games like Sonic Adventure 2.

Still not enough reasons to me to buy a console when I compare it to the range of games that I enjoyed on the N64 and Gamecube.

The Xbox360's Kinect does look a lot better than Move. Alan Wake does interest me but I trust reviews that say that it is too repetitive. I like Rare (I enjoyed PDZ , didn't enjoy Kameo so much, Viva Pinata is not my type of game, Nuts and Bolts has a great idea but the execution is too tricky and time consuming).

The Wii - Epic Mickey looks mildly interesting but would have looked a lot better as a dystopian PS3 exclusive. Donkey Kong Returns looks great as does Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. There's Super Paper Mario, New Mario Brothers. With those games alone I think that I forget all the awful games on the console.

This is the most troublesome generation of consoles that there has been. There aren't enough compelling reasons on any side to make them so much better in some aspects than the competition.

ReputationRep:
    PS3 is worth it if youve got the cash.
    Exclusives like Gran turismo 5, god of war 3, infamous, ratchet and clank, uncharted ect all excellent, I love them all.
    PSN is free so dont worry about paying extra subscriptions ect (Unless you want to join PS plus where you get free stuff each month, and discounts off things in the PS store)
    Also if you or your family are interested in watching films on bluray this is perfect.
    Its got a decent internet browser, not the best but a quick way to look stuff up.
    Its reliable so dont worry about anything going wrong.

Only issue is that if your planning on playing online and wanting to speak to people like friends (with voice) youll need a blutooth headset but they're cheap and easy to buy. Also theres no Private chat like on xbox, however in all games online I think you can talk, cant think of an online game without it. But there is a text room chat where you can speak to a group of people in game (using text) but its quick and easy to use, push 1 button, type what you want, send, push button to close, back to playing.

But yeh its a good piece of investment that will keep you satisfied for years
    (I used to have an xbox so I know the pro's and con's ect, im not a biased ps3 fanboy trying to help sony achieve more sales, but just trying to help you )
    Hope ive helped.

ReputationRep:
    Clever guy, the PS3 really is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maudie)
    Is it a good idea to get my boyfriend a ps3 for Christmas?

He loves playing car games on his old playstations. I asked him if he wanted one he said he liked old games, but I can't tell if it's just him being weird about me spending too much money.
    Ive got no idea about whether your boyfriend wants a ps3 or not but I would highly recommend one, and racing games are one of its strong points.
    2 words and a number- Gran Turismo 5, the best racing game made in my opinion. If he likes realism then this is perfect.
    If he prefers more casual, theres:
    Blur - fun online
    Wipout HD - Fun - progressingly hard
    Motorstorm - Very fun, especially when whacking bikers off their motorbikes.
    Burnout Paradise - Very fun and keeps you entertained for hours, especially if playing with friends.
    Modnation racers - Like mariokart, but you can make everything yourself if you want! Own tracks, person ect.
    Need for speed
    list continues....and a lot of them are cheap now anyway

Theres plenty of other non-racing games to choose from aswell but I would recommend a ps3 if he actually wants one

Hope ive helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greek-BBQ)
    PS3 is worth it if youve got the cash.
    Exclusives like Gran turismo 5, god of war 3, infamous, ratchet and clank, uncharted ect all excellent, I love them all.
    PSN is free so dont worry about paying extra subscriptions ect (Unless you want to join PS plus where you get free stuff each month, and discounts off things in the PS store)
    Also if you or your family are interested in watching films on bluray this is perfect.
    Its got a decent internet browser, not the best but a quick way to look stuff up.
    Its reliable so dont worry about anything going wrong.

Only issue is that if your planning on playing online and wanting to speak to people like friends (with voice) youll need a blutooth headset but they're cheap and easy to buy. Also theres no Private chat like on xbox, however in all games online I think you can talk, cant think of an online game without it. But there is a text room chat where you can speak to a group of people in game (using text) but its quick and easy to use, push 1 button, type what you want, send, push button to close, back to playing.

But yeh its a good piece of investment that will keep you satisfied for years
    (I used to have an xbox so I know the pro's and con's ect, im not a biased ps3 fanboy trying to help sony achieve more sales, but just trying to help you )
    Hope ive helped.
    Thanks for the helpful comments And to everyone else too! I've decided if i can afford it I am fairly certain that i want to buy one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greek-BBQ)
    Ive got no idea about whether your boyfriend wants a ps3 or not but I would highly recommend one, and racing games are one of its strong points.
    2 words and a number- Gran Turismo 5, the best racing game made in my opinion. If he likes realism then this is perfect.
    If he prefers more casual, theres:
    Blur - fun online
    Wipout HD - Fun - progressingly hard
    Motorstorm - Very fun, especially when whacking bikers off their motorbikes.
    Burnout Paradise - Very fun and keeps you entertained for hours, especially if playing with friends.
    Modnation racers - Like mariokart, but you can make everything yourself if you want! Own tracks, person ect.
    Need for speed
    list continues....and a lot of them are cheap now anyway

Theres plenty of other non-racing games to choose from aswell but I would recommend a ps3 if he actually wants one

Hope ive helped
    I think he does want one i saw him looking them up >: )

Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Guess I'm an idiot then?

Oh wait, best choice I've made in a long time.....
    Yeah, you are.

Are you happy because of the instant satisfaction? Maybe you'll be happy for a week, or a month or more? You've made a completely stupid decision by buying a console that's lagging behind this generation, and has a weaker gaming catalogue than the X360.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Yeah, you are.

Are you happy because of the instant satisfaction? Maybe you'll be happy for a week, or a month or more? You've made a completely stupid decision by buying a console that's lagging behind this generation, and has a weaker gaming catalogue than the X360.
    Happy maybe because I have a console that I prefer?

It's all about preferences and opinions, not all of us are follow-the-sheep fanboys.

Having owned both consoles (guess you've never owned a PS3?), I can honestly say the PS3 has better exclusives TO ME. See, OPINIONS. All this fanboy crap is just pointless.

My favourite genre is racing games too, so with GT5 out it's a no brainer.

ReputationRep:
    Happy maybe because I have a console that I prefer?

It's all about preferences and opinions, not all of us are follow-the-sheep fanboys.

Having owned both consoles (guess you've never owned a PS3?), I can honestly say the PS3 has better exclusives TO ME. See, OPINIONS. All this fanboy crap is just pointless.

My favourite genre is racing games too, so with GT5 out it's a no brainer.
    Nice to see you're labelling me as something when, actually, you've never met me.

Played on my mates PS3 numerous times, and loved it. Wanted to buy for Little Big Planet, MGS4, Uncharted and GT5. Didn't. Why? Cost and value for money are far away from what the X360 offers me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.