Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Higher University Fees Will Cause More Women To Become Strippers/Prostitutes Watch

• View Poll Results: Will Higher University Fees Push More Female Students To Become Strippers/Prostitutes
    Possibly
    50.00%
    Unlikely
    50.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    I think we both know that need of money is the only probable reason. However, people do many things when in financial distress- If tuition fees increased a student could move back in with her parents, sell her belongings, quit... It is a personal decision- if you re-read your argument you are proposing that in the basis of one girls story that the number of prostitutes would increase, it is of course a possibility like all things but it is not strong enough to use the word "will" instead of "could"

Also (see bold)
    I don't think most women would be prepared to quit university or sell their belongings when it is not required. If stripping provides a way for a person to keep everythinng they already have and make money then they will do it.

And though I posted only one girl's story there are obviously plenty more out there.
    If some women who are in need of money now have turned to prostitution then what is going to stop more women from doing it now that times are about to get tougher.

ReputationRep:
    Why would this happen? Fees may be getting higher but the loans will still cover it, and I think the threshold for paying back the loans will be higher. It's not going to make it any harder to make ends meet while you're studying, it just means that it'll take longer to pay back your loan. Even after uni, they'll only have to pay back what they can afford, so it still won't be a problem if they can't find a decent graduate job.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown?)
    I don't think most women would be prepared to quit university or sell their belongings when it is not required. If stripping provides a way for a person to keep everythinng they already have and make money then they will do it.

And though I posted only one girl's story there are obviously plenty more out there.
    If some women who are in need of money now have turned to prostitution then what is going to stop more women from doing it now that times are about to get tougher.
    Lol. So you think that women (and men - prev. poster) would happily go into prostitution and all the shame associated with it yet not sell their belongings... rather naive dont you think?

Also tabloids dont exactly publish their hard hitting headlines based on the number of cases involved. Most of them are hunted out to sell papers so your assumption that their must be more is (again) overdrawn. Although feel free to provide more evidence.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=themedicalgeek;28688380]Lol. So you think that women (and men - prev. poster) would happily go into prostitution and all the shame associated with it yet not sell their belongings... rather naive dont you think?QUOTE]

Not all people are the same and though they may not like it would so some, a fair proportion would yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    Of course it is possible - see my later response - but far too weak to propose it will increase...
    He proposed it as a suggestion for us to discuss Obviously most would quit or move to a local uni if they really could not get by and didn't have money for food but that isn't an option for everyone so some may resort to stripping or prostitution as it leads to immediate money.

ReputationRep:
    Is this meant to be a bad thing? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    There is more to becoming a prostitute that just financial problems. There are moral values, addictions, etc. that all play a part.
    I can't say for sure, but I doubt there are a lot of teenagers out there chomping at the bit to become prostitutes, but they just don't feel that they are poor enough to justify it...

ReputationRep:
    Did you use your mum as a case study for this argument?

ReputationRep:
    this is going to sound bad.. and im going to get negged for this

but if i was in her position i would... i wouldnt be happy about it but i wouldnt want to stop going to uni just because i cant afford it..

although i dont think the rise in fees will mean more cases like this necessarily. The issue here was that she hadn't got her loan in time, not that she cant afford to pay for the loan (if that makes sense)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.