Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is car insurance for 18+ drivers so expensive in the UK? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    And fronting is illegal, and you have no cover whatsoever when the insurance company realises you're the one driving the car most.
    Yes but it's actually my mum's car and where I'm at Uni most of them time and I don't bring it up here she does actually do the most driving. Pretty sure she wouldn't do something illegal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    And fronting is illegal, and you have no cover whatsoever when the insurance company realises you're the one driving the car most.
    My friend did it for the first year of driving - there's no way they can prove who drives the car the most. If they had a crash, they'd notify the insurance company, tell them what happened and hey presto, they are covered. They can't prove who drives the car the most. And no, they didn't have any accidents, and still haven't. Touch wood.

Anyway, insurance companies have now clicked on and just charge the same price as if the highest risk driver on the policy is the main driver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moviebuffateer)
    Hmmm, with that attitude why should anyone care what you are been charged.
    Owning a car and driving the car is a LUXURY a PRIVLEDGED.
    You either buy into it or accept its not meant to be and get on with your life.

I passed my test whilst I was still 17 years old and accepted that if I wanted to own and drive a car that I'd just have to foot the bills.
    No one is forcing you to drive.

Stats go against the first 4 years and I was and still am I safe driver. I agree with you that its a rip off and a con but there is nothing you can do so channel your energy into something worth while.
    no why would I calm down? I am not getting ripped off because of other people, I have not got money to waste on paying out car insurance rip offs. look its a luxury that most people enjoy without paying the sort of money young people are asked for im talking about older drivers. to hell with car insurance I will drive without it.

ReputationRep:
    Somebody help me

Need insurance as a named driver as it will be on my mothers car and i will only drive it when i need it

car is an astra 1.4 2002 group 4

quotes are like 2200 thats expensive

im 18 male

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starex)
    Somebody help me

Need insurance as a named driver as it will be on my mothers car and i will only drive it when i need it

car is an astra 1.4 2002 group 4

quotes are like 2200 thats expensive

im 18 male
    you will have to pay about 1600 minimum

ReputationRep:
    Insurance is very reasonable on decent cars. On rubbish it's expensive.
    Casing example; I bought a 1.8 Ford Focus to sell on insurance on that was around £525. (24 year old / 4 years NCB + 6 points - 2x SP30's so nothing exciting )
    Conversely, my daily driver Jag XJ40 only costs around £200 a year fully comp.

So, that's your choice! Pay through the nose for a crappy little hatchback. Or, buy something decent and pay peanuts. I made my decision...

*edit* actually... I hope people keep buying crap like hatchbacks and people carriers - they are easy sellers and the profits are, shall we say, "lucrative".

ReputationRep:
    With the cost of insurance, they might as well give you a free car with it. It would be like having a mobile phone on contract.

ReputationRep:
    yer 1600 i dont mind but where ????????????

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.