Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think starting TOO soon can also be detrimental.

Id say xmas hols.

ReputationRep:
    Going to be honest, I've pretty much finished and that's cuz I've worked since the beginning of the first term. I've already done all revision, notes, past papers but I only have two exams in January

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryan051991)
    You see my problem is when i have no motivation at home
    If you use Firefox, and are spending too much time online, I would go and find yourself LeechBlock. Essentially you can block whatever sites distract you between certain hours of the day, set break times when you want etc. It massively boosted my productivity during revision time in May and June. No more reddit/facebook/TSR whoring from 10-12 and 1-5.30 was my schedule, but you can do as much or as little as you want/think you need.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...nuclear%20powe

People spare 10 sec of you lives and make a vote! For and Against Nuclear Power in UK. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jing_jing)
    Yep, just did a past paper and it was all find and dandy so just need to remember to actually read the questions this time round and not panic like I did last time!

I remember doing that M3 chapter without it too... over the internet through distance learning. Good times :p: I've used those C4 integration rules so much over the last couple of months that I just know them now, should result in some good C4 lessons in future though! I'm lucky in that I'm the only student in the school taking further maths so it wasn't confusing when my teacher gave me the rules in my further maths class.
    Yeah one exam i panics on was C1 when i was taking it a year early. Such a mistake! Compared to GCSE i was so baffled by the language used haha

And yea, C4 should be nice now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    If you use Firefox, and are spending too much time online, I would go and find yourself LeechBlock. Essentially you can block whatever sites distract you between certain hours of the day, set break times when you want etc. It massively boosted my productivity during revision time in May and June. No more reddit/facebook/TSR whoring from 10-12 and 1-5.30 was my schedule, but you can do as much or as little as you want/think you need.
    Thanks for that mate :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonasdb)
    Yeah one exam i panics on was C1 when i was taking it a year early. Such a mistake! Compared to GCSE i was so baffled by the language used haha

And yea, C4 should be nice now
    I guess staying calm is easier said than done! I guess I'll just be more experienced this year and try and go in with a more postivie attitude, went into that M1 exam thinking that I was going to fail and consequently panicked and totally lost my head and I bet I made a whole load of silly mistakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    Ahaaha I had the same 5 min "blitz" on C3-C4 xD. According to my further maths teacher (she is from FM support network) FP2 is harder than FP3 and the reason for it is quite simple. FP3 is straight forward questions when you know the stuff but FP2 is "spot the trick or lose a mark". However FP3 is hellalot of calculus but it's brilliant .
    We are skipping FP2 and do FP4 instead.
    Ooh, are you doing the whole of further maths with the FM support network? I'm doing M3 with them as there's nobody in school who can teach me ^^ What do you think of it? Learning online is so much slower than when my tutor can come to me and teach me in person but I think it's going alright. There's a topic that I just totally don't understand though so might ask him to just go over it again when we've finished the module.

I look forwards to FP3 then! Some of the topics in FP2 I'm really not enjoying like iteration and series and intergrals =/
    Ooh, different exam board from me then! There isn't an FP4 on OCR, wish there was, then I may not have to do M3 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    This year with C1 C2 and S1 I've been doing a couple past papers a week since the start of November...I'll move that up to probably 4 per week and some practice questions come December, but I'm doing a bunch of other stuff on my gap year so Christmas break isn't as open to revision as it will be for A2 year people.

It really depends on how intensive a revision schedule you want or can handle. For my final A2 exams I did 7+ hours per day for the last month and managed 96%+ for all of them. For three exams in January, (so probably closer to what you'll be able to do) I started in early November doing a couple hours every few days, just rewriting my notes in the best format for exam revision. Then by Christmas holidays mostly I was able to just relax and read my notes, do a bunch of past paper questions etc.

Hi, I'm kinda struggling with Econ unit 3(edexcel), just wondering what is the foundation I need to be able to do well on this unit?

ReputationRep:
    I guess staying calm is easier said than done! I guess I'll just be more experienced this year and try and go in with a more postivie attitude, went into that M1 exam thinking that I was going to fail and consequently panicked and totally lost my head and I bet I made a whole load of silly mistakes!
    taking a look at your academic life, I am impressed! so close to full marks, must take a lot of work! And chinese, it's cool that you had that option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonasdb)
    taking a look at your academic life, I am impressed! so close to full marks, must take a lot of work! And chinese, it's cool that you had that option
    Thanks, ironically I did worst in Maths despite that being the subject I want to pursue! The Chinese isn't that impressive at all, it was a kind of last minute thing because both my parents are Chinese and decided they wanted me to do the AS :rolleyes: I've talked them out of making me take the A2 though as you have to write an essay *horror*

Your academics are impressive too! Which universities have you gone for?

ReputationRep:
    Last year i started a week before, this year however, tomorrow

A2 is quite a bit harder :/

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what works for you

ReputationRep:
    2nd Jan.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Already started (started since beginning of October)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, ironically I did worst in Maths despite that being the subject I want to pursue! The Chinese isn't that impressive at all, it was a kind of last minute thing because both my parents are Chinese and decided they wanted me to do the AS :rolleyes: I've talked them out of making me take the A2 though as you have to write an essay *horror*

Your academics are impressive too! Which universities have you gone for?
    Thank you!
    take a look at my signature: oxford is top of the list, followed by birmingham. I visited Imperial a few weeks back durring my interivew and it didn't look very fun, especialy the people there seemed kind of dull

The physics dept is so unattractive too, compared to birmingham which has such a nice vibe to it when yo uget in tot the campusy bit

ReputationRep:
    Well it varies, I do some weeks where I revise for maybe 10-15 hours at least, then some when I'll only do 5 or something. Depends on the subject, I just crammed C2 maths & biology unit 2 the day before, both went ok but could have gone better. Definitely not cramming this year.. trying to balance it out. Both confident & nervous for January.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, are you doing the whole of further maths with the FM support network? I'm doing M3 with them as there's nobody in school who can teach me ^^ What do you think of it? Learning online is so much slower than when my tutor can come to me and teach me in person but I think it's going alright. There's a topic that I just totally don't understand though so might ask him to just go over it again when we've finished the module.

I look forwards to FP3 then! Some of the topics in FP2 I'm really not enjoying like iteration and series and intergrals =/
    Ooh, different exam board from me then! There isn't an FP4 on OCR, wish there was, then I may not have to do M3 :rolleyes:
    I did my AS FM just using the website online and now for A2 we have a teacher from FM support network :cool:
    gonna grind that FP3 now. BTW our exam is on the same day as C3

spare 10 sec of you life and make a vote! For and Against Nuclear Power in UK. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaosu_souzousha)
    I did my AS FM just using the website online and now for A2 we have a teacher from FM support network :cool:
    gonna grind that FP3 now. BTW our exam is on the same day as C3

spare 10 sec of you life and make a vote! For and Against Nuclear Power in UK. :cool:
    ... Eugh, that's horrible. C3 and FP3, althought to be fair, C3 isn't that hard really especially compared to FP3! Really really wish I could take C3 in Jan D8

Voted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    Ignore all advice here about when to start due to personal experiences or whatever. I used to wonder the same, but it varies way too much for me to go "well I do it in this amount of time" and thus somehow you should do the same.

Also, don't forget the A/A* aim isn't about quanity of revision but quality. The most useful things to revise are often not directly the things on the course: for arts/humanities subjects, look at mark schemes, ways of improving your writing (often a nifty quote in the introduction does the trick), that kinda thing. For sciencey ones I don't know too much, sorry OP.

In terms of methods, again it's whatever helps you. But don't revise so early that the first stuff you'll forget. This method may help you or may not, but generally I have about two weeks give or take a bit to fill up an empty notebook with notes and stuff (it might be a condensed history of everything that happened in Britain 1951-2007, with colour coordinated bits and quotes and things like that). If your exam is on January 30th, do you really want to be doing that in November/early December? No.

But like I said it's a case of working out what NEEDS doing, then working from there, and ignore other people's advice. My revision was a lot less than some of my friends, and it was a lot more than some of my others, and I did well enough to know that what I did was fine.

Good luck all

EDIT: And also...

Yes you can. Believe me, it happened to me - I did Maths AS two years ago, Maths wasn't my thing so I struggled and thought revising the hell out of it would sort me out - nope, screwed me over far worse, barely got a D. Retook it, with less revision, in the summer and got a B, which for me was really good.

It's easy to tell when you've done too much, your brain gets fried, you get sick of even hearing the name of your subject etc. etc. at that point, go on Facebook, go on iPlayer and watch some crap, whatever, just go and have some fun and come back the next day. Or if the exam's the next day, stop revising!
    Ah yes, very true and I know what you mean What I actually meant was it's better to do say a few hours a day for a month or so rather than just the day/week before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.