The Student Room Group

Need help with A-Level options?

Scroll to see replies

what the point in doing 6 alevels when you only need to do 4 AS levels.
Only a handful of people in my school did 5 AS levels and they had NO frees. This isn't like GCSE where you can get away with working in your lunch break etc- frees are so important, and by doing 5 subjects you will have no frees. On top of this, if you have no frees you will have to do 100% of your work at home, which means, realistically, you won't have time to 'self-study'.

Be sensible, it sounds great saying ' i do 6 Alevels' but it's not worth it. don't think by doing 6 AS levels you will look better for Oxbridge, because they don't care- they ask for 3 A2's and want good grades in those. Especially when you get to your final year at school and your trying to sort out UCAS, it's stressful enough without having a million essays to worry about.

If you want to do a wider selection of subjects do the IB. Those my only suggsetion really.
Reply 21
My subject combination = Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History

In my experience so far, Econ (did at GCSE) and History haven't been too hard. Although the amount of essays is starting to take their toll. Let me tell you now, A-level is very different to GCSE. You may think you can handle 6 but it would be 1. Unadvisable 2. not very advantageous. If you're really good at Maths i reckon 5 would be the limit but if not 4 would be best. You don't really need more, you just need to absolutely smash the 3 or 4 you have.

P.S. You haven't mentioned what you want to study. If it's anything to do with medicine, Maths or the other sciences English wouldn't really be recommended. It just adds a lot to your workload, if you can get A* for English (lit and lang) at GCSE you should be fine on the essay front.
Reply 22
Original post by zxh800
My subject combination = Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History

In my experience so far, Econ (did at GCSE) and History haven't been too hard. Although the amount of essays is starting to take their toll. Let me tell you now, A-level is very different to GCSE. You may think you can handle 6 but it would be 1. Unadvisable 2. not very advantageous. If you're really good at Maths i reckon 5 would be the limit but if not 4 would be best. You don't really need more, you just need to absolutely smash the 3 or 4 you have.

P.S. You haven't mentioned what you want to study. If it's anything to do with medicine, Maths or the other sciences English wouldn't really be recommended. It just adds a lot to your workload, if you can get A* for English (lit and lang) at GCSE you should be fine on the essay front.

Is Economics regarded as a tough subject to take as an AS/A2 Level?
Reply 23
Original post by aliakhtar
Is Economics regarded as a tough subject to take as an AS/A2 Level?

It's certainly a very respected subject. As for how hard it is, as i've taken it at GCSE it's quite easy for me (for AS, A2 is very different). AS Economics is generally alright, not too hard not too easy. Some cope better than others, but if you can grasp the concepts it's quite easy.
Reply 24
Original post by zxh800
It's certainly a very respected subject. As for how hard it is, as i've taken it at GCSE it's quite easy for me (for AS, A2 is very different). AS Economics is generally alright, not too hard not too easy. Some cope better than others, but if you can grasp the concepts it's quite easy.

I'm predicted A* at it GCSE and from the AQA Board I scored 95 % in Unit 11. Is it a big step from GCSE to A-Level in Economics?

Quick Reply

Latest