Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indoor rock climbing (questions from a beginner) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I'm doing a maths degree, suffice to say my life doesn't lack any mental stimulation.

Do what you want to do, personally I go climbing more because I enjoy it but each to their own.
    i used to do a maths degree, lol...dropped out though...****ing hated it! :P.

to the douche that said i sound like a pretentious tool i say: you're probing my hobbies too much - it'd not sound tooly if u just drop it and stop being stalkerish! I was merely saying doing something else other than just climb climb climb would be better cos u're body gets time to recover. Climbing is really intensive and giving a few days between sessions allows muscles to recover and reduces the risk of injury. Hopefully we're cool? I'm state comper if that helps!

ReputationRep:
    OP - whatever kind of climbing you do, it's extremely stressful on your body (at least initially) so take it easy or you risk injury. It takes time especially for your fingers/hands to toughen up, so don't try to test your limits at the beginning, just enjoy yourself. And it's usually far more satisfying to complete a route or bouldering problem even if it wasn't that hard, than to keep failing at one that can't realistically achieve.

Also when I climbed I preferred several hours at least, since you can then take it a bit slower and rest between efforts, and it's a lot more fun. Climbing all afternoon is great. Take some food and water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harvey121)
    Not long been going the the big rock centre in Milton Keynes myself for bouldering. Its a great workout. 1-2 hours 3 or 4 times a week is plenty and you will see great improvements in your general climb.

Try to draw tips from more experienced climbers when your there for better technique.
    I go there occasionlsaly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I go climbing a lot, usually 3-4 times a week for 4-5 hour sessions. I would say you can get a lot done in 1 hour but I would recommend bouldering as oppose to leading or top roping. If your doing either of those styles of climbing you'll only get a few routes done in an hour. Whenever I'm leading, I always feel as though I've done nothing in comparison to what I would do in a bouldering session.

Bouldering is a more intense workout, your biceps, fingers and forearms will be put under a lot more pressure. At the start the first thing you will notice is the skin coming off on all your hands. Don't be alarmed, this is normal and a requirement to build callouses and improve grip. This should mostly stop after about a month, although you will get the occasional callous tear, especially on dynos. It's unlikely your fingers will hurt too much because the holds you use at the start are quite big (jugs) and don't require a great deal of finger strength (which is lucky as you don't have it yet!).

Don't use any of the equipment for training, ie fingerboards and the like - you will injure yourself. The climbing itself is more than enough to workout your body.

Personally the most visible change for me (I haven't been climbing that long, perhaps 4 months) are my biceps - they've got a great deal bigger. Other than that my body looks basically the same as it did at the start. Climbing isn't much of a cardiovascular exercise but it does help build muscle strength - I can do a hell of a lot more chin ups now than I could before, indeed I can campus up the climbing wall now on easy routes.

I would suggest starting easy. Don't try anything too hard. You need to build up finger strength at the start, and your hands will hurt from the skin coming off. Buy tape, lots of it, and cover any areas of raw skin. Don't wear shoes which are too small for you. The shoes I have now hurt my feat a lot, and are very technical, but this can be a disaster for a beginner and completely put you off the sport. Wear shoes which fit well, but are comfortable.

Finally I think you should try go two hours a day four days a week as you will get more done. I find two hours is a good amount, after that you start getting tired anyway. If you go four days a week try and break it up. I go mon/weds/fri/sat, you should do the same or go tues/thurs/sat/sun etc
    I never really noticed his biceps, but a guy I used to know was a bouldering fanatic, and had massive forearms! He was in really good shape, but his forearms were really impressive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.