Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

V334 - Prisoner Franchise Bill Watch

• View Poll Results: The question is: Should ths bill be passed into Law?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    52.27%
    On the contrary, No
    38.64%
    Abstain
    9.09%

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simontinsley)
    Why? We extend the vote to those non citizens who live in the country and aren't prisoners, why not those who are prisoners?
    Currently, we only extend the vote to Irish and Commonwealth citizens. This bill extends the vote to ALL foreign prisoners, regardless of citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaran-j)
    Currently, we only extend the vote to Irish and Commonwealth citizens. This bill extends the vote to ALL foreign prisoners, regardless of citizenship.
    B333 disregarded the citizenship issue, and as such it's not this Bill that extends it, since B333 is law.

I'd like to see resident non-citizens given full rights to vote (no taxation without representation, after all), but that's not the intention, it's just an oversight - and it's one that already exists in our law.

ReputationRep:
    You were born with the ability to one day be able to vote, no one can take away your vote and voice. Prison is not about taking everything away but confinement for reflection on the offence they committed to society.

What is so wrong with letting people to continue to vote, its not going to skew or change anything. Prisoners like all people have different views and ideas.

Massive AYE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misterxninja)
    You were born with the ability to one day be able to vote, no one can take away your vote and voice. Prison is not about taking everything away but confinement for reflection on the offence they committed to society.

What is so wrong with letting people to continue to vote, its not going to skew or change anything. Prisoners like all people have different views and ideas.

Massive AYE
    So the guy who raped and murdered 6 women should be allowed to vote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Absolutely.

Unless you think an act (of murder or rape or otherwise) makes an opinion (on education, healthcare or otherwise) invalid.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely.

Unless you think an act (of murder or rape or otherwise) makes an opinion (on education, healthcare or otherwise) invalid.
    A strong and good way of looking at it, and this is the way the EU thinks I believe. In truth my opinion on the subject needs forming. It used to be parallel with yours. Perhaps I've slipped too far.

ReputationRep:
    ****. I just realised I forgot that line on devolution.

Apologies to the house.
    With the possible exception of the thing about party political broadcasts in prisons, there's nothing that is a devolved competence in this Bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    With the possible exception of the thing about party political broadcasts in prisons, there's nothing that is a devolved competence in this Bill.
    I presumed that granting the right to vote in Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament & NI Assembly would be devolved?

ReputationRep:
    I presumed that granting the right to vote in Welsh Assembly, Scottish Parliament & NI Assembly would be devolved?
    Elections to the devolved legislatures are reserved matters (eg, Sch 5, s. B3 Scot Act 1998), as odd as that sounds. Basically they are run by the Secretaries of State for Scotland, Wales or NI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Why shouldn't he have the vote he was born into acquiring at the age of 18, not why shouldn't he be able to vote.

So what, he committed a crime, it does not take his means to exercise a natural vote. His right to vote has nothing to do with what he committed.

Votes are universal, since when should we start banning certain groups of people from voting... You may aswell ban people who take drugs next or ethnic groups, if you follow the same line of thought suggested by this person.

Last time I checked Discrimination was bad in the UK, stop discriminating criminals they are people, like anyone else.

Universal Liberty not Authoritarianism, rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Elections to the devolved legislatures are reserved matters (eg, Sch 5, s. B3 Scot Act 1998), as odd as that sounds. Basically they are run by the Secretaries of State for Scotland, Wales or NI.
    Excellent, a relief I haven't actually cocked it up as first thought.

ReputationRep:
    Next vote will tell us whether this bill passes or not. All 6 remaining MPs left to vote would have to oppose it for this to fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-bang-theory)
    Next vote will tell us whether this bill passes or not. All 6 remaining MPs left to vote would have to oppose it for this to fail
    I highly doubt we'll get 50 MP turnout, I have never seen it.

Still, we shall see. Chickens, counting and hatching and that phrase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misterxninja)
    Universal Liberty not Authoritarianism, rest my case.
    Generally people put a decent case forwards before saying "rest my case" but whatever.

That said, I kind of agree, having thought about it.

ReputationRep:
    The aye's have it! The aye's have it!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.