Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

get yourselves to TRAFALGAR SQUARE for 12:00 this tuesday Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not I wont because Im not retarded! And because I wouldnt break the whole house so my mum could give me money so it's the same principle here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    that is completely unrelated to education cuts
    in fact, if there were no education cuts, there would probably be higher welfare cuts to make up for it

the money has to come from somewhere, and there are several good reasons for it coming from raising the cap on uni fees

and no, i'm not a tory. it just scares me that a massive proportion of the protesters don't actually know what they're on about
    Are you suggesting i'm ignorant of the causes of a protest on Education fees?
    You can't disregard welfare and say that the poorest won't be affected! It infuriates me that you think that there is no connection between education and social circumstances.

Dear God, not another fees protest.

I've rung the bell, Jeeves should be here in a moment with champagne and fresh popcorn so I can watch the carnage unfold.

ReputationRep:
      Shall I bring my supersplash water gun ???

ReputationRep:
      Note to self: avoid Trafalgar Square next Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Low Profile)
      Desperate times, desparate measures...
      It's alright for the students who have ponies in their gardens but this is the real world and it's our duty to see to our rights.
      If you believe you have a right to education at the expense of others then you have a vacuous and virtually meaningless conception of the term "right".

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bax-man)
      If you believe you have a right to education at the expense of others then you have a vacuous and virtually meaningless conception of the term "right".
      I did not state at the "expense of others", perhaps you have disregarded the opportunity. you have an equal "right" to that!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
      no?
      Why? I'm probably gonna go.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Low Profile)
      I did not state at the "expense of others", perhaps you have disregarded the opportunity. you have an equal "right" to that!
      Education is funded through taxation, revenue from which is extorted from every individual by force with the threat to remove their liberty if they fail to comply. If I am taxed five percent of my income, I have five percent less to spend. You receive your public services at the expense of me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spazman21)
      Good muisc taste, Sir!
      Why thank you

ReputationRep:
      Education is funded through taxation, revenue from which is extorted from every individual by force with the threat to remove their liberty if they fail to comply. If I am taxed five percent of my income, I have five percent less to spend. You receive your public services at the expense of me.
      typical Tory way of thinking. Only the priviledged have the right to higher education? Public services are not an expense! To ensure stability and a progressive society, public services are essential. The common good of society is established from the greatest asset this nation has to offer; education. If you hinder the prospects of the common person to education then you defeat the purpose of a sustainable way of living.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by hamijack)
      Why? I'm probably gonna go.
      I wasn't expecting anything less from you

ReputationRep:
      Great. It's always at a time I can't do.

Got a lab class this Tuesday that cannot be missed. Meh.

ReputationRep:
      What do we do if we actually don't mind there being fee increases?

inb4 OMG U DON'T CARE CUS U ARE GOIN 2011!!!11

ReputationRep:
      The students on this forum have, as usual, shown themselves to be pretty pathetic. Yeah, it's totally cool to jump on the cynical, protesters-are-lame bandwagon- people who have never actively been involved in a cause or a protest because they're glued to their computers and because not caring about things is sooo cool. GOOD ONE GUYS.

David Mitchell:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ion-fees-clegg

"Student "unrest" is embarrassing for the coalition because even its slavish supporters in the press can't resist talking up a bit of pushing as if it heralds revolution. A few short clips of jerkily televised vandalism make the government look like it's failing to govern. The fact that more damage gets done to public property every day by people turning round quickly while holding something hot is irrelevant. A photo of broken glass is a thousand times more politically threatening than a kid with an unwise haircut whining about his allowance.

Another reason to support the fisticuffs is that Nick Clegg doesn't like it at all. Before last Wednesday's demonstrations, he appealed for people to "examine our proposals before taking to the streets. Listen and look before you march and shout". Sounds like a protesters' green cross code."

ReputationRep:

Right, so the same should go for healthcare, yeah? Primary and secondary education? The police?

ReputationRep:
      nah, it wont affect me so i aint bovvered

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by katyness)
      Not I wont because Im not retarded! And because I wouldnt break the whole house so my mum could give me money so it's the same principle here!
      Er, no, it really isn't.

ReputationRep:
      Cuts are good for the economy
      90% of students dont actually realise it wont affect them that much.
      Live with it and get over it, jesus.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by spazman21)
      Why should the hard-working plumber take more tax cuts to fund your education?
      I bet the poor plumber is livid at the thought. "Not more tax cuts!" he must come home and tell his wife everyday.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.