Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

any smokers in the house? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I do smoke... haven't had one since last Wednesday. I understand how people find them addictive but I am confident if I wanted to give up I could, I have one every 2 - 3 days... not exactly heavy.
    :teehee: I was going to say.

I don't actually know whether I could give up or not. There are several factors:
    A) Laziness
    B) No reason why to do so (aside from the two obvious ones of "money" and "health", neither of which I value too highly anyway given that I get cheap baccy and we all die some day)
    C) I like it.
    D) Work would be hell without it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Firstly: Good choice of uni with Sussex

Secondly: The absolute best way to stop smoking is to just man up, and not smoke at all.

This is probably better to do when you're not under any stress. I personally found that not going out drinking for about 2 weeks or so really helped.

Some people say it's best to cut down (I would occasionally smoke half a cigarette), though I read somewhere it takes around 6 weeks to get over cravings altogether and every cig you have resets the whole process.

Good luck

(All this talk of smoking has given me a huge craving... ><)
    Me too :|
    i'm stopping for a bit though cause its too cold and it freezes my fingers to smoke outside lol, but i can't smoke indoors cause it stinks up my bedroom :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilzyy)
    Me too :|
    i'm stopping for a bit though cause its too cold and it freezes my fingers to smoke outside lol, but i can't smoke indoors cause it stinks up my bedroom :/

Smoke with the window open = profit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredCassman)
    So...is anyone a smoker? I am 19 years old and really trying to quit smoking... I am just about to apply for sussex uni and UCAS and everything is really stressing me out, smoking is the thing that can calm me down but i really hate it at the same time.

I'm really considering buying an electronic cigarette. I'm just reading up about them and they seem pretty cool. has anyone heard of them, is anyone else trying to quit?
    None in the house, they must all be out the house smoking it up.

ReputationRep:
    Smoke with the window open = profit
    Then it gets colddd, due to the unfortunate placement of my radiator under my window LOL
    stop trying to tempt me anyway!! :P

ReputationRep:
    Then it gets colddd, due to the unfortunate placement of my radiator under my window LOL
    stop trying to tempt me anyway!! :P
    Put on a hoody and man up

Sorry for tempting I'd love a cig right now. But I promised myself I wouldn't have any for a while ><

ReputationRep:
    I ain't trying to stop. I know its kills you, but if you die you die and there is nothin to be done about that cos your only gonna go some other way. I enjoy it, so I aim to do it while I can.

ReputationRep:
    Put on a hoody and man up

Sorry for tempting I'd love a cig right now. But I promised myself I wouldn't have any for a while ><
    Lol, me too, for the duration of winter..(yeah right)
    how's that going though ?

Yeah but I find having a cigarette and a coffee helps me concentrate therefore more likely to study better, at the end of the day its up to whether you wana smoke or not. Good luck if your trying to quit though!!

Kitchen is your friend

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Rich_183)
        Kitchen is your friend
        Why lol?
        Wouldn't it just be the same as smoking in my bedroom..

ReputationRep:
        Meh, not too bad. Just gets hard when my mates offer me a cig... and I get cravings the next day >< (as I do now... really should stop going on this topic :l). Seeing as a pack of 20s are 6-7 quid in the UK though, I can't see myself being tempted to buy them

ReputationRep:
        Meh, not too bad. Just gets hard when my mates offer me a cig... and I get cravings the next day >< (as I do now... really should stop going on this topic :l). Seeing as a pack of 20s are 6-7 quid in the UK though, I can't see myself being tempted to buy them
        Wow you're strong if you're able to deny a free one lool.. i get cravings everytime I smell it in the air, or ill randomly be sitting here and the smell is in my nose even though I know there's no smoke anywhere.
        ah but packs of 10 cost £3 and under ..think Mayfairs Lol xD

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AprilMay88)
        Try a book called, The Easyway to stop smoking by a man named Alan Carr. It worked for me x
        I have read this book - very interesting! And now my thought processes have completely changed... for instance I read the OP's post and instantly thought 'you're not addicted to smoking, what an absurd statement!' but that's just the mentality that comes from reading good old Mr Carr's book!

ReputationRep:
        I gave up around 3 months ago. It's worth it. Just stopped - no gum or anything. It's hard - took 20 odd attempts - one of which lasted 6 months, the others about a week.

www.whyquit.com

^ that's the site I used to quit. I was at uni and found it impossible to stop smoking and going on nights out and that site really helped. Loads of great articles without being condescending/overly dramatic like most places seem to be. I'm coming up on 6 months now without a fag from a good 4-5 years smoking.

For me, I found going new bars I didn't associate with smoking and drinking different beverages helped (e.g. vod + redbull instantly made me wanna fag for reasons unknown so I cut that out). Tried the patches, felt like they did nothing. Tried the inhaler, that only reminded of smoking and prolonged the addiction with nicotine. Although my dad who'd been smoking for 30+ years 20 a day style quit using an electronic cigerette so they'd be my alternate recommendation if cold turkey aint working for you.

As for Alan Carr, that would only make me want to smoke more so I could kill myself quicker, which I'd have to do if I got to the point I was taking that moron's advice.

ReputationRep:
        I quit smoking a couple of months ago. I had a couple of jittery days, nearly vomited on public transport on the fourth day, then hit my stride and have been pretty much fine ever since.

Just stop. I actually had set a quit date of mid-2011, but one evening I was smoking and decided it would be my last cigarette.

Why lol?
          Wouldn't it just be the same as smoking in my bedroom..
          Extractor fan and more windows for better air flow

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by smilee172)
          I have read this book - very interesting! And now my thought processes have completely changed... for instance I read the OP's post and instantly thought 'you're not addicted to smoking, what an absurd statement!' but that's just the mentality that comes from reading good old Mr Carr's book!
          I used his audio book to help me quit for a few months then for some reason I just started again. Trying to quit the past week, and Im considering using his book again just dont seem to have the time to listen to it. I would recommend the easy way to anybody that asked me about stopping smoking.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Anonymous)
          www.whyquit.com

^ that's the site I used to quit. I was at uni and found it impossible to stop smoking and going on nights out and that site really helped. Loads of great articles without being condescending/overly dramatic like most places seem to be. I'm coming up on 6 months now without a fag from a good 4-5 years smoking.

For me, I found going new bars I didn't associate with smoking and drinking different beverages helped (e.g. vod + redbull instantly made me wanna fag for reasons unknown so I cut that out). Tried the patches, felt like they did nothing. Tried the inhaler, that only reminded of smoking and prolonged the addiction with nicotine. Although my dad who'd been smoking for 30+ years 20 a day style quit using an electronic cigerette so they'd be my alternate recommendation if cold turkey aint working for you.

As for Alan Carr, that would only make me want to smoke more so I could kill myself quicker, which I'd have to do if I got to the point I was taking that moron's advice.
          I think you are confusing Allen Carr with Alan Carr.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.