Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Parents went on my facebook... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, it's because they care. it's because they're worried about you and it's all normal. I don't know that there will be a huge amount of people on here who haven't been through something similar. It does suck, but I expect they only did it as they already had concerns about you. Whether they have a basis in those concerns, I don't know, but that's more than likely what made them do it. If you want them to stop, tell them you appreciate they are only looking out for you but that you need the privacy and don't want them to look through your personal stuff. My parents used to drive me mad when they went through a stage of being just like it. Then again, i was drinking all the time, doing drugs and sleeping around, so you know, it's not really surprising they were worried!
    It's their job, if you're not doing anything for them to be worried about, let them get on with it but let them know you don't like it. if you're doing something for them to worry about, maybe their not going about it the right way, but they are just trying to find out what's going on and trying to be good parents.

ReputationRep:
    When you say they went on your facebook , do you mean as in they're friends with you and just looked on your profile? Or did they "hack" it ?

If they're mates with you , you could block them from seeing some parts of your profile e.g wall , photos etc

Or if they hacked it , make sure they don't know your passwords ( facebook and email ) so they can't change it and access your profile and also make sure your passwords aren't obviously so they can't guess them. Also ,don't click the "remember me " box as they won't need your password to access your profile !!!

ReputationRep:
    I meant the "keep me signed in " box !!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand people who have their parents on facebook (and then complain about it). Just tell them it's part of your own private world? Just because it's online doesn't make it okay for them to interfere, they wouldn't invite themselves along to a party, would they?
    Luckily I have parents who would never join facebook.

As for the OP, I hope they've really learned their lesson. How did they get access to your account in the first place? I don't understand how that happens to people. Have they spied on you typing your password?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LW5x01)
    You know, you can just limit what your mum sees on your facebook, so she wouldn't be able to see what you're writing and so on, you just need to fiddle around with the privacy settings and stuff.
    oh rly? so you can do that for individual people? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    you're 18, you're an adult, you can do as you please tbh.

sounds like they have you on lock :/

but i understand why they got a bit "paranoid" - your friend picking up weed and all...

ReputationRep:
    Parents are parents, and will always do stuff that gets on your nerves. I moved out over a year ago and my mum still manages to nag me from home! Move out and try to get some independence, but they will never stop pissing you off.

I'm on your Facebook right now, Ms Newton.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they've been smoking so much weed and that's why they are so paranoid?

I don't know. But everyone that says it's justified because they're 'only worrying' :lolwut: My parents worry, all parents do yes, but most respect their childs privacy!

ReputationRep:
    Delete them.

ReputationRep:
    Your 18 years old, tell them to mind their own business and let you lead your own life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahthegemini)
    Maybe they've been smoking so much weed and that's why they are so paranoid?

I don't know. But everyone that says it's justified because they're 'only worrying' :lolwut: My parents worry, all parents do yes, but most respect their childs privacy!
    I think it's more to do with understanding why they did it. I mean if they were just being nosey for the hell of it, it's totally wrong. There again, if you had kids and you genuinely thought something was wrong with them or they were doing something you were worried about, would you not want to find out what it was? Honestly? I know I would, although I wouldn't like abusing their privacy, if I was worried about my child I'd want to know what was going on and if they wouldn't open up to me, I'd snoop.

Having said all that, if you're 18, they should back off a bit. I didn't read the bit that said you were 18,l i thought you were at school still

ReputationRep:
    Hehe you sound so whiney whilst trying to pretend you're grown up.

ReputationRep:
    move out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newton4)
    Im so so so angry and upset , because my parents are so paranoid about what i do in my life. I was going out with some friends tonight for a bit , and i get a phonecall suggesting i come home immediately. Turns out just cos a friend of mine mentioned himself picking up weed from someone they go SICK at me .

I mean never mind the result of the argument cos i made them realise what they did was wrong , but i dont know what to do . I feel violated and they dont trust me ! What can i do to stop them being so paranoid about what i do , Im 18 and i go and meet friends sometimes in the evenings ... thats it. My parents are boxing me in at home and i didnt move away to uni , but they are making me seriously think about moving out .

I've always been close to my mum , but i dont understand how they feel the need to check on me all the time, especially by invading my privacy .

All my passwords have been changed also before people mention it
    Any advice would be appreciated thanks
    Speak to them about how you feel. Tell them you are an adult now and they should start treating you more like one. And tell them that they are being too paranoid and should let you have a bit of space. They have a right to worry about you and want to know where you are etc, especially as you are living at their house but going on your facebook was a bit too far. And if they think you are taking weed or something then tell them you arent.

ReputationRep:
    Just try and see their side too. Then let your actions(not words) convince them that they have a really cool daughter who can handle herself. After all you still see them as parents, not people so you need to think about this too. Time for both sides to move on and upwards and move on from parent child to adult adult relationships.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo_01)
    When you say they went on your facebook , do you mean as in they're friends with you and just looked on your profile? Or did they "hack" it ?

If they're mates with you , you could block them from seeing some parts of your profile e.g wall , photos etc

Or if they hacked it , make sure they don't know your passwords ( facebook and email ) so they can't change it and access your profile and also make sure your passwords aren't obviously so they can't guess them. Also ,don't click the "remember me " box as they won't need your password to access your profile !!!

no they arent a 'friend ' on facebook , they dont even have facebook . They worked out my password and went on it

ReputationRep:
    Tell them what you think. What you've said here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    If you live in their house, I think it is fair for them to set the rules.
    If you don't like it, then move out.
    so you think that its ok for them to go onto my area on the computer , then figure out my password on facebook and hack into my account ?

What ever happened to privacy ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newton4)
    so you think that its ok for them to go onto my area on the computer , then figure out my password on facebook and hack into my account ?

What ever happened to privacy ?!
    Is your password your name? Or are your parents hackers?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.