Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you know you are ready for the test? (had 100 hours of lessons with BSM!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)
    Be careful because this is exactly what happened to me. After 20 hours instructor told me I was ready and to book my test. 2 weeks before test, he told me to change the test date because I was still making mistakes. Same thing happened about 3 times.
    Well I've yet to pass my theory, so can't book my test until then anyway! I just keep making silly mistakes on it

My instructor is a family friend so I like to think she wouldn't string me along- and I wouldn't have a problem asking her about it if I thought she was, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Find another instructor, get evaluated and take a test

you should have had one after 40 hours just to see what the hell was going on

failing a test is no big deal.

ReputationRep:
    *****, you been played like a fiddle.

ReputationRep:
    Your instructer is clearly ripping you off.

ReputationRep:
    I normally agree with instructors who give honest advice that someone isn't ready, providing an action plan is agreed at the time with a realistic future schedule of tuition indicating a timescale of test readiness which includes a progress report.

To keep "dangling the carrot" by saying you're ready, then changing his mind at the 11th hour so many times sounds extremely suspicious.

BSM = Book Some More

ReputationRep:
    I bet the instructor can't believe he's got this much money out of you

ReputationRep:
    You've been ripped and ripped again.
    B$M must stand for Bring Some Money!!!!

Their current offer says you will pass your test with 29 hours of lessons
    http://www.bsm.co.uk/offers?refid=bs...FYS-zAodUWbTYg

Must be lies!!

100 hours of lessons probably means you can drive better than instructor. He is likely to be a trainee with a PINK badge in the window. Means not fully qualified until green badge is displayed.

Ditch B$M and go to an independant instructor. You will be better off.

OMG I can't believe how you have been ripped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)
    Long story short - I just had my 100th hour of lessons with BSM today. :eek: I simply cannot afford any more lessons. I've spend almost £2000 on lessons!

Instructor says I'm not ready yet! I've had to move the test date so many times! It annoys me because one second he says I'm ready and tells me to book the test, then 1 week before the test he tells me I'm not ready yet!

I still make minor mistakes during the lesson (usually towards the end of the 2 hour lessons when I lose concentration).

My instructor says I'll be ready when I stop making mistakes.

I guess my question is - how do you know when you are ready for the test?? When you are not making any mistakes at all?
    Well considering the average is 40 hours or so you must be really crap to be more than double that! I would book your test and see how you get on I mean you are allowed something like 14 minors if they are in different categories. So if your making 14 in 2 hours technically you will make under 7 in the 40 mins of the test!

ReputationRep:
    OP; My brother had the same problem as you, only he was with a private instructor who literally said the exact same thing and took around £1000 from him, he moved over to a new instructor and had around 5 lessons with him and was classed as test ready.

I myself did my driving in an Auto (which I'm sure I will get stick for) but I did 20 hours and passed first time (Thank the lord).

I was even making mistakes 1 hour before my test, but my examiner was a good chap, proper laugh and just talked most of the test, and the rest is history.

I was with 17+ before, but then moved to BSM with my instructor and 2 weeks before my test, he rolled his car with another student, I then had to 3 days before my test move back to 17+ with a new instructor.

ReputationRep:
    You're probably ready, BSM are rip-offs anyway. Go to another instructor and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    As has already been said, if you haven't taken and failed a test yet then you are being seriously ripped off. Find another instructor, then complain to BSM. It might also be worth sending an email to the DSA and the DIA to complain about them.

ReputationRep:
    passed on 3rd test

Its what happens on the day!
    Qualified drivers make mistakes even now

ReputationRep:
    OMg...100 lessons...how could you afford that?? I passed after 9 tho I did drive in Pakistan as a teenager when on holiday.

Change ur instructor...bsm, Aa are rubbish. The cars that they use are not ideal for learning. Go with a local private instructor who preferably has a Yaris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninat)
    Long story short - I just had my 100th hour of lessons with BSM today. :eek: I simply cannot afford any more lessons. I've spend almost £2000 on lessons!

Instructor says I'm not ready yet! I've had to move the test date so many times! It annoys me because one second he says I'm ready and tells me to book the test, then 1 week before the test he tells me I'm not ready yet!

I still make minor mistakes during the lesson (usually towards the end of the 2 hour lessons when I lose concentration).

My instructor says I'll be ready when I stop making mistakes.

I guess my question is - how do you know when you are ready for the test?? When you are not making any mistakes at all?
    hmm i ve had about 120 hours BUT my instructor went on hol for 2 months and i forgot everything, and i never go in cars, and no-one i know drives. she said i was ready at about 50 hours but then kept saying 10 more hours 10 more. tbh im glad for the extra lessons cos i needed the confidence, but could have done the test about 6 mos back cos i havent learned anything extra. i feel more confidenct now but my driving is just as good/bad.
    i also lose concentration at 2 hours, all my lessons 2hrs. bear in mind the test is 40 min, but you might want a 30 min warmup drive beforehand. if he ist doing test routes with you at this stage i say swap to another instructor AND complain to BSM

ReputationRep:
    100 Hours?! You should totally be ready.

I needed 3 hours of official lessons to pass. Everyone is different, but I thought 20+ Hours was excessive. This is ridiculous! They are scamming you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    You'll never get to a point where you make no mistakes at all. After 100 hours of lessons, it sounds like the instructor just wants your money. Most people pass after significantly less than that.

Remember, you don't have to concentrate for two hours in the test, only 40 minutes or so. I'd say book your test as soon as you can.
    I agree. If he gets funny about you going for your test then go with someone else.

ReputationRep:
    dont focus on how many hours youve had in lessons, i was with bsm (loved my instructor, she was fantastic and very encouraging) and had about 80 hours of lessons as i wanted to feel confident driving and passed first time with 7 minors. its just a case of you knowing when you are ready to take it. also i wouldnt do 2 hour lessons, i did for the first couple of months to get comfortable with the car and the basics of driving, and also did a few 2 hour ones for a few weeks before my test to be more prepared but other than that 2 hours didnt seem worth it to me (not to mention stupidly expensive).

you should do a mock test with them as they pounce on every mistake you make and will tell you exactly where you are going wrong (though i failed that because i panicked on a hill a bit) and they mark it harsher than they do in the proper test as well. then just book it and tell your instructor you are taking the test when YOU want to as you dont need their permission to do it so just do it when you feel confident to do it.

ReputationRep:
    You need to take 100 more hours.

ReputationRep:
    BSM = Bring Some Money.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to make a few points:

1) If an instructor says you're ready for test, then even ten lessons later says you're not... there's something wrong. As professionals, they should only be telling you to take the test if you are actually able to pass it.

2) Keep in mind that different people do take different lengths of time to pass. Some people take only about 20 hours, others take 120. Slow progress is not always down to the instructor. They are instructors, not magicians.

3) Don't always believe it when people tell you they only passed with 10 lessons. Some people do, and thats fair enough. However most people that quote such a low number of lessons are missing out some information... such as the length of the lessons (were they double lessons or single lessons?) How much practice they had with friends or relatives (it all counts towards your total amount of hours on the road). Finally.... some people just lie. They want to look good so they exaggerate the truth.

My advice is that in this case you're being taken for a ride, so I'd get an assessment drive with an independent instructor.... personally I wouldn't tell him your situation, but just see what he says before knowing the facts.

At the end of the day, you are paying your instructor for his professional advice, so its important that you don't just get angry and do your own thing. Just because YOU feel ready, doesn't mean you actually are ready. Find another instructor and see what they say.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.