Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain should introduce Sterilization or Birth Control Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP without limiting the population our resources shall continue to be stretched until they cannot sustain us.
    On the other hand it seems damned near impossible to implement birth control on that kind of level. Not only are there criteria issues but also it remains difficult to say that a woman ought to be forced to have an abortion.
    Forcing a child out of its mothers care seems illogical and immoral as well.
    Cutting benefits for that child is unfair, it never asked to be born.
    Perhaps what the government needs to try first is education on world population vs world and state resources.

ReputationRep:
    The population is set to fall soon anyway.

But I think perhaps worldwide intervention is needed to cut the number of births down, perhaps a limit of 1/2 per couple (I'd suggest 2.)

How one would enforce that is difficult to say, I would suggest perhaps sterilization of both parents, but that's rather malevolent. I do know that the estimates of world population in 100 years are insane, and there simply are not enough resources for us to cope with it, so something needs to be done now, whilst the problem hasn't materialised yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    In a free and democratic society we must guarantee the freedoms of the entire population. In this case the freedom to have the children they want.
    You seemed to have mixed up democracy with liberty.
    More than that how much freedom can we have?
    Do you think we should have the freedom to enslave others?
    I know that these are basic points but you don't show any signs that you've considered them.

ReputationRep:
    The OP is an idiot. Eugenics have been tried and failed so why try it again? Sensible people learn from the mistakes of the past, idiots just repeats them.

Perhaps, the OP should not breed so he/she will not pass his/her idiot genes onto the next generation. Using the Daily Mail as an objective reference is just laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Listen, Shakespeare, it was a grammatical mistake. I am assuming your misspelling of FATUOUSLY was mistake too?

If you're going to take the roll of a grammar police officer, at least make sure you're spelling is 100% correct, because you will end looking like a fool. :cool:
    You need to add an "a" between "was" and "mistake".

ReputationRep:
    Listen, Shakespeare, it was a grammatical mistake. I am assuming your misspelling of FATUOUSLY was mistake too?

If you're going to take the roll of a grammar police officer, at least make sure you're spelling is 100% correct, because you will end looking like a fool. :cool:
    Touché my friend, touché!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You need to add an "a" between "was" and "mistake".
    Don't forget the "you're spelling is" instead of "your spelling is" .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The OP is an idiot. Eugenics have been tried and failed so why try it again? Sensible people learn from the mistakes of the past, idiots just repeats them.

Perhaps, the OP should not breed so he/she will not pass his/her idiot genes onto the next generation. Using the Daily Mail as an objective reference is just laughable.
    "idiots just repeats them" Repeats? You're boring, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Birth control and sterilisation are a bit much arn't they? I think the only people to get this idea started were the Nazi's, and they are not held in great favour now are they! (have to say though, without their torturous medical experiments the pill would not have been developed as soon as the 60's. So the problem could have been bigger). Suppose on that philosophy you could skip a step and go straight to Genocide suppose that would solve the benefit problem too!

But seriously I do know where your coming from if not so harshly to remove peoples rights.. But I aggree more with the previous comment of limiting the size of familys via benefits, so that people are more serious as to deciding to have children in this incredibly crowded country.
    But you need to remember the burden this will put on the country in other ways, if the uneducated, lazy, idle, malingering, unemployed continue to reproduce without thought to the consequences, the need for orphanages will arise once more in britain. Due to foster parents are already in short supply!
    My Personal thought on the problem here is the fundamental lack of Discipline. Which is lacking in many aspects of modern British society. you can almost track the demise of it since the abolishment of National Service ( now I am playing the fool mentioning that on here! Ha Ha)

I can go on but I'll stop there..

Hope that has given some educated people here some food for thought!

ReputationRep:
    My fingers are itching to ctrl-c, ctrl-v the contents of Wikipedia's article on China's one child policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balface)
    Individuals who are not familiar with basic grammar should not be allowed to breed.
    /Thread.
    I really don't understand why people do this and you are a nice example, so what if he made a grammatical error, you might have a problem with the content of the post and if you do then post about it! Don't be a smart arse, it's not funny and it won't get you anywhere. Idiot. Oh and the whole '/thread' thing? Grow up.

Lol, op, would sound like a nice idea but what are you gonna do? Round people up and tick them off according to whether you'd let them breed or not?

ReputationRep:
    Umm... no. It didn't work when Doctors were sterilising mentally ill patients in the 70s and it isn't working so well in China either.

ReputationRep:
    We should just teach kids how to have anal sex properly. Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    well i don't necessarily agree with the OP, but I do think that people should only be able to claim child benefits for a maximum of 2 children, and the rest they have to pay for themselves.
    But then I believe that in today's society having loads of children is a lifestyle choice as opposed to a biological right.

But no, I don't agree in forcing people to have sterilisation, it's all about education

ReputationRep:
    Woooow what a ridiculous idea.
    Who gets to decide who is sterilised? Supposing you ended up in a similar situation (because, you know, life doesn't always end up how you think it will) and you are living on benefits. Do you get sterilised then? Or only if you have popped out two kids? What about the people who live on benefits, have two kids and then after a few years decide they need to better themselves, get educated, get a well paid job to support their children, but they can't have any more children because they weren't classed as *worthy" to reproduce anymore in somebody else's opinion. Children are the future, just because somebody starts off in a lower working class environment doesn't mean they may not grow up to become somebody, someone who finds the cure for cancer, for example. But they would have been the 4th born to a mother living in a council estate so they don't exist because their mother was sterilised. Ridiculous.
    I do think the benefits system needs to be addressed, but sterilisation is ridiculous. As for birth control, you can't force someone to use it. Are the lower class a class that you can force to do what you want with? um, no, they are people. If people abuse the system, it's because the government have made it possible to do so. That's what needs to be addressed, not become totally nazi about it. Jeeeeeeeez

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrietta)
    well i don't necessarily agree with the OP, but I do think that people should only be able to claim child benefits for a maximum of 2 children, and the rest they have to pay for themselves.
    But then I believe that in today's society having loads of children is a lifestyle choice as opposed to a biological right.

But no, I don't agree in forcing people to have sterilisation, it's all about education
    I do see what you're saying, but say a woman is happily partnered up for 10 years. Her and her partner have 4 kids together, he has a well paid job which supports the whole family and she stays at home with her kids. They then split up. Does that mean she shouldn't be able to claim benefits for 2 of those children?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ladies/Gents,

I have been really thinking about this issue. If you're a regular reader of Newspaper's, you will see certain articles about families demanding a council house, thuggish teens, lazy people refusing to work, etc. This may sound very harsh and controversial, but people who fit under the category should NOT be allowed to breed.

Here is a scenario: There is a Mother who lives in a small council flat. She is unemployed and has children with different fathers. She is also has a few bad habits - cannabis and alcohol. The child grows up in a scenario where education is nothing, but hanging around on street corners smoking is the norm. Getting a job and working is unheard of, so its straight onto benefits and he/she will follow the Mother's footsteps - This is a cycle that will follow for generations.

Now, if there were a way to control birth rate this would be avoided. Let's say she is allowed a maximum of 2 children - they can be focused upon in terms of education, personal development etc.

What are your thoughts?
    I sigh every single time sterlilization and forced birth control is mentioned. My Dad suggested this to me once about some relative of mine, and I just was shocked when he mentioned it. It's a terrible thing to do, whether you have reasons or not. That's just too far.
    Back in the 1930s, America forced many people to have sterlization inc Black People, Native American etc. The German copied this and applied it to "imbeciles".
    Where do you go? Where is the line, you should not cross? What about civil liberties? This isn't about tution fees, this is about the freedom to breed.
    At the end of the day, laws can be twisted easily. Who are the undesirables in society? You mentioned an example, but what if it is the gypsies next or people with certain jobs like cleaners and other non-professionables, who are next?

You could start the law, but who knows who the undesirables might be in the future.

It should not be allowed, look at our moral compasses, we should not force natural selection to go a way it may not want to go.

ReputationRep:
    So, because we don't approve of someone and their educational/economic status then we should ban them from having kids. Right. I'll tell you what I don't approve of pirvate schooling or Conservatism so lets stop rich, conservatives from breeding as well. It'd be as justified and subjective as this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibobs)
    I do see what you're saying, but say a woman is happily partnered up for 10 years. Her and her partner have 4 kids together, he has a well paid job which supports the whole family and she stays at home with her kids. They then split up. Does that mean she shouldn't be able to claim benefits for 2 of those children?
    She should get a job, he should help pay for them.
    Done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    We should just teach kids how to have anal sex properly. Problem solved.
    I can see this being a thorny issue for the CRB check.

How do you vet who can and who can't teach kids how to have anal sex.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.