Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The fees rise and degrees with foundation years. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Willetts)
    The exact regime will depend on the individual university and how integrated your foundation degree is. But I believe you may well count as starting your main degree in 2012 so we expect you will be covered by the new regime. Next the better news. The new regime has some quite valuable features. You will for example find that you do not start repaying your student loan when you earn more than £15k as at present but instead at £21k - monthly repayments will be lower under our new scheme than they are at present.
    Thanks for your reply.

Although it doesn't exactly make up for paying almost three times as much in student fees as I would've done if my degree started a year earlier, it as at least a silver lining that I'll be paying in smaller instalments, and begin repayments when I reach a higher level of income. I wasn't actually aware of this; perhaps you could publicise this fact more to encourage people to go into higher education who might otherwise be put off by paying extra.

ReputationRep:
    I was about to ask the same thing lol. But I heard my uni will charge £8000 for my foundation year (just QMUL BTW) lucky I have other options!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    Thanks for your reply.

Although it doesn't exactly make up for paying almost three times as much in student fees as I would've done if my degree started a year earlier, it as at least a silver lining that I'll be paying in smaller instalments, and begin repayments when I reach a higher level of income. I wasn't actually aware of this; perhaps you could publicise this fact more to encourage people to go into higher education who might otherwise be put off by paying extra.
    If you go back and reread his post, this moron has has confused Foundation degrees with degrees with an integrated foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    The exact regime will depend on the individual university and how integrated your foundation degree is. But I believe you may well count as starting your main degree in 2012 so we expect you will be covered by the new regime. Next the better news. The new regime has some quite valuable features. You will for example find that you do not start repaying your student loan when you earn more than £15k as at present but instead at £21k - monthly repayments will be lower under our new scheme than they are at present.
    He wasn't asking about a foundation degree you imbecile, he was asking about a BA/Bsc with an integrated foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's just great isn't it everyone? We don't have to start paying back until we get a quite average graduate salary eh?! Nah, there hasn't been such a thing as inflation in the last 10 years.... Hmmm wow! :eek: £21k! I'll never earn that nevermind in 4 years!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.