Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Certainly I do, because my parents do not earn very much money either. But the point is, anyobdy that doesn't check the facts and ask for advice on the subject of fees before saying "well there's no way I can afford that, I'm not going to apply." clearly doesn't have the initiative required to study at a higher level anyway.

I would personally advocate the government spending some money on a system through which college students can ask for professional advice regarding fees, though.

I do not think that "x seems like a lot of money" is even a logical argument against a fee rise, though, I must say.
    Do you think a system would be better that totally did away with the idea of an upfront cost associated with your course which you pay afterwards so people didn't think there was a direct cost associated, but where instead people paid an amount after the graduated based on what they earned?

Even if you don't agree with such a system, do you think it would have benefits in that it wouldn't make people afraid of debt, wouldn't put people off going to university over the fear of the cost and wouldn't lead people to making choices on universities and courses based on the cost but allow them to pick the best course for them anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    Do you think a system would be better that totally did away with the idea of an upfront cost associated with your course which you pay afterwards so people didn't think there was a direct cost associated, but where instead people paid an amount after the graduated based on what they earned?

Even if you don't agree with such a system, do you think it would have benefits in that it wouldn't make people afraid of debt, wouldn't put people off going to university over the fear of the cost and wouldn't lead people to making choices on universities and courses based on the cost but allow them to pick the best course for them anywhere?
    The proposed system would do pretty much what you described above. Those who earn high salaries after graduation pay back more, and vice versa.

This "fear of debt" myth is simply a non-entity... it is a debt that is paid back slowly and proportionally to your income. The "worst" that can happen is that you end up unemployed after graduation, in which case you don't have to pay it back. If you earn a low amount, you pay little or nothing. What is there to fear?

What I would say is generating this "fear of debt" is as much the NUS dramatising and exaggerating it, just as much as the actual figures. I admit when I first heard about the fee rise, which I am due to be affected by, I was pretty nervous. But then I read what the actual proposition is - a feat which I bet half of the student protesters have not accomplished - and realised that I don't have too much to worry about, even though I come from a fairly low-income household.

Do you advocate a graduate tax system or similar, then?

ReputationRep:
    It is a privilege that we as a society should help to provide for everyone through a fair and just system in order to educate and better our way of life. And also to create a more equal and classless society. For this is the way of the jedi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David Willetts)
    Speaking as one anti-marxist to another I do not believe that everyone can gain from going to university - it remains a competitive process. I do not believe in artificial targets for the number of people who should go. But I do observe that there is strong trend around the Western world for more people to go.
    huh?

not that I expect a reply, but can you not understand the grievances of people who are spun the whole "HE is not a right" as a justification for fees when these same people enjoyed free education and generous grants when they were the same age?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.