Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

US Senators call for Wikileaks to face criminal charges Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lying, self-serving, hypocritical, c***s!

Politicians. Oh yeah the people who have no respect for the publics privacy, constantly monitor us through mass surveillance, and spread our private details amongst other authorititative bodies, and then have the nerve to throw a hissy fit when someone does it to them.

Threat to national security? Might i remind you that its crap government foreign policies that have made other nations into enemies, and provoked extremists into attacking us in the first place.

This is why i dont vote. Politics in its current form is just so wrong on so many levels. It creates more problems than it solves.

ReputationRep:
    The US government spends its time unjustly spying on its citizens (Patriot Act, anyone?) and then wants to class WikiLeaks as a terrorist organisation when they give some back? ****ing hypocrites, all politicians are. Got no problem with spying on the people but are very unwilling to provide transparency themselves. What are you trying to hide, America?

ReputationRep:
    "we can find out where this is coming from and go after them with the force of law". She added that "the people who do these document leaks need to do a gut check about their patriotism"

I lol'd. Didn't they "go after them with the 'force of law'" by paying some Swedish bird to make a rape claim against the founder of Wikileaks? Because, y'know, it's legal to do that... obviously. Government who go against the laws they create are just... there is no word I know of to describe them (probably is in a dictionary though ).

ReputationRep:
    I have to admit, whilst I agree that there is some information that governments would like kept secret but their public would like to know, I am sure there must be a better way to do it than Wikileaks. Wikileaks seems to have become an extreme at the opposite end to governments, publishing any information they can acquire without any thought for consequence. Certainly these leaks are mostly just amusing, but when they released the information about people working undercover in war zones they were releasing information that could benefit the public in no way, but that put the soldiers' lives at risk. They did it just because they had the information, rather than considering whether it was information that needed releasing.

That said, the USA is a democracy, and I can't help but get the feeling more than 50% of its citizens are quite enjoying the spectacle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Lying, self-serving, hypocritical, c***s!

Politicians. Oh yeah the people who have no respect for the publics privacy, constantly monitor us through mass surveillance, and spread our private details amongst other authorititative bodies, and then have the nerve to throw a hissy fit when someone does it to them.

Threat to national security? Might i remind you that its crap government foreign policies that have made other nations into enemies, and provoked extremists into attacking us in the first place.

This is why i dont vote. Politics in its current form is just so wrong on so many levels. It creates more problems than it solves.
    I have to agree, voting is for mugs really, we're just pawns in the politician's game. It's not worth the trip to the voting booth or playing along either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.