The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

So apparently I'm not Warwick University material!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Leoleanne
Applied for Drama with English PGCE at Warwick and unfortunately:

200+ hours independent teaching of drama,
100+ hours independent teaching of English,
A-levels in English Language
A-levels in Drama
A-levels in Performing Arts
A degree in Drama
Numerous enrichment activities related to the dramatic arts
3 Years working full time in a secondary school
And an obvious passion for teaching/learning

is not adequate experience for this University. They assume the course will be too challenging for me!

Maybe they should have given me a chance first! However, not even an interview offered!

Thanks alot! :angry:

Can anyone be more helpful and tell me where I am going wrong?

Quit your bitching, Warwich is a damn prestegious uni with tons of applicants per course, just because you (barely) meet the minimum required does not guarantee a placement, there were better applicants, deal with it.
Lesson in life.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Just because you satisfy the minimum entry requirements it doesn't guarantee you a place unfortunately. If it did, there wouldn't be half as many re-applicants this year. Competition is fiercer than ever, what with the tuition fees and re-applicants from last year. PGCEs are very competitive.

Good luck with any other applications you have made if you can apply to more than one uni for a PGCE course.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Applying for a PGCE is drama.

Thanks for the advice to the people who weren't trying to abuse me, ha.

I think I will write to them, my next plan obviously is to get some more experience since it would be too late and expensive to go back to University to get better grades, plus I wouldn't want to deprive a new undergraduate of a place since the government have cut so many places already at University.

:smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Dawson2010
Quit your bitching, Warwich is a damn prestegious uni with tons of applicants per course, just because you (barely) meet the minimum required does not guarantee a placement, there were better applicants, deal with it.
Lesson in life.

Warwich? I'm applying for Warwick.
Reply 24
Applying for a PGCE is drama.

Thanks for the advice to the people who weren't trying to abuse me, ha.

I think I will write to them, my next plan obviously is to get some more experience since it would be too late and expensive to go back to University to get better grades, plus I wouldn't want to deprive a new undergraduate of a place since the government have cut so many places already at University.

:smile:

Just because you didn't get into one uni doesn't mean you wont get into others for a PGCE so I would definitely apply to other unis if its what you want to do.
Warwich? I'm applying for Warwick.

Not any more you're not.

Think about it. If there were 100 places on offer and 150 applicants had achieved 2:1s or 1sts at degree level, why would they consider you?
If you wanted to teach English as well, maybe they wanted a Literature A-Level?

Ask them for feedback.
Warwick is foul anyway. On the other hand a degree in "Drama"? Pfft.
Reply 28
Original post by TheCount.
Entry requirements stipulate the minimum qualifications a candidate should have acquired. Just because you satisfy these (barely!), does not guarantee you a place. Cambridge has entry requirements of A*AA+ but countless applicants with those grades are turned away. Competition for university places is fierce. Clearly there were stronger candidates than you.

This
Grades at A-level were all Cs and at degree level 2:2, which is the correct entry requirements for this University and the course I was applying for, if this is inadequate, maybe they should change their entry requirements and I wouldn't waste my time in the future.

I know my grades aren't top level but that does not mean to say that I am poor at teaching. I have a job in teaching, if I weren't doing the job correctly, I'm assuming disciplinary procedures would have been taken.

It just seems unfair if solely grades are being taken into consideration rather than experience. Just because somebody came straight out of University at 21 years old with a first degree and had one week observing in a classroom does not mean to say that they can successfully deliver and facilitate lesson! I know I can do that so why aren't Warwick giving me a chance?:frown:

Even if you do meet the minimum requirements, if there are numerous applicants with much better grades, they will be more likely to get an interview. It's just the way it works because of the huge competition.
(edited 13 years ago)

Lesson in life.

She didn't just 'barely' meet the grade requirements. She met them exactly. So stop being awkward. She obviously did not create this thread for your criticism, so give the girl a break!
Applied for Drama with English PGCE at Warwick and unfortunately:

200+ hours independent teaching of drama,
100+ hours independent teaching of English,
A-levels in English Language
A-levels in Drama
A-levels in Performing Arts
A degree in Drama
Numerous enrichment activities related to the dramatic arts
3 Years working full time in a secondary school
And an obvious passion for teaching/learning

is not adequate experience for this University. They assume the course will be too challenging for me!

Maybe they should have given me a chance first! However, not even an interview offered!

Thanks alot! :angry:

Can anyone be more helpful and tell me where I am going wrong?

It is one of the best drama pcge courses in the country and there were probably other applicants with better quals + experience sadly. You will find that a number of Warwick theatre/english students apply for the PGCE and would therefore have higher qualifications on paper (because you needed at least 3 Bs to get in for the undergrad theatre when I applied 5 years ago and hardly anyone gets less than a 2:1) and no doubt lots of other candidates with 2:1 and higher degrees.

I know experience should and probably does count too. Maybe you were just unlucky and everyone else had loads of experience too? I know on my drama course a lot of people had a good amount of teaching experience and youth theatre leader experience as well.

Do you only want to go to Warwick or have you applied elsewhere?
(edited 13 years ago)
A lot of people being nasty on here, but what they are more or less saying is correct. There is as you know, a lot of competition for courses and Warwick is obviously a good uni. Definitely worth writing to them though.
I know I can do that so why aren't Warwick giving me a chance?:frown:

Probably the bellend factor outweighing everything else you were going on about.
Original post by alibobs
Sooo are you applying for a degree in drama on top of the drama degree you already have?
I don't understand what you're applying for, I'm a bit slow tonight.

A PGCE is a post graduate degree... its a teaching qualification which you need on top of your degree :smile:
email/write to them, ask why they rejected you. Every applicant has the right to ask why and be told the truth
Original post by justiceisjust
She didn't just 'barely' meet the grade requirements. She met them exactly. So stop being awkward. She obviously did not create this thread for your criticism, so give the girl a break!

I didn't park my car in Tesco for a bird to **** all over it, but it still happened.
Original post by TheCount.
I didn't park my car in Tesco for a bird to **** all over it, but it still happened.

One of the best anecdotes I have ever read on TSR.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
One of the best anecdotes I have ever read on TSR.

I'm flattered.
Reply 39
"Definitely worth writing to them though" - Why the hell is it worth doing anything more? Their decision has been made, simple.

Quick Reply

Latest