Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats Your view on marriage? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Shocking though it is to some, I never want to get married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    I don't plan to get married. £15,000 for a piece of paper. Worst of all 40% of them end in divorce anyway.

I would consider it if I was going to have kids because it's a stable upbringing for them and ensures neither parent can run out on them.

Other than that I don't see why I would. Unless my wife was set on it and we had been together for ages and knew we weren't going to split up.
    I'm in favour of marriage however I'd have to have been with my partner for a good long time because divorce does happen, and I'd want to be certain I can live with that person for the rest of my life. Once I get married I want that to be it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really see the point. Never cared about weddings or marriage. But that's just my personal opinion. Whatever floats your boat,

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I don't think it's that important. My parents have been together for 20 years and they're not married.

My aunty was married and divorced after 3 years.

Marriage doesn't make the couple, the couple makes the marriage. These people who act like children who are in a married family behave better than those brought up by a cohabiting family make me laugh.

TBH I would like to get married for the ceremony hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I imagine i'll resist marrying for as long as possible and eventually change my mind for the stability of any children i might have... at this moment in time i am hugely against the changing of a womens last name, it's just wrong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Weddings cause drama, hassle and horrid arguments and, if you really love someone, I think a small modest ceremony would be more romantic and intimate.
    Words of wisdom

Marriage is obviously everyones own, personal choice, and OP, no one can fault you in not wanting to get married. Personally, I really do hope that I will marry, once I get my career sorted out and find a guy that loves me for who I am and is a committed and honest person. Nothing I want to rush into yet though tbh

But yeah, when the time comes, I would definitely prefer a small, intimate wedding rather than splash the cash on an extravagant wedding that just gives ppl more to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    Words of wisdom

Marriage is obviously everyones own, personal choice, and OP, no one can fault you in not wanting to get married. Personally, I really do hope that I will marry, once I get my career sorted out and find a guy that loves me for who I am and is a committed and honest person. Nothing I want to rush into yet though tbh

But yeah, when the time comes, I would definitely prefer a small, intimate wedding rather than splash the cash on an extravagant wedding that just gives ppl more to talk about.
    Yeah. I don't really believe in marriage, but if I got married, it would be very small, cosy and not very expensive. I don't care about all that. As an Atheist, I wouldn't get married in a church either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSadReaper)
    you mean girlfriend right?:confused:
    Well yeah aha. sorry

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure how I feel about it. Ideally, I would want it but I dont think I'll have time for that

ReputationRep:
    I'm married. We've both had really good experiences of marriage, neither of our parents/grandparents/aunties etc are divorced so it's always been a positive for us, and a natural progression in our relationship. However when we got married we only had 12 people there (including us!). I'm not into the whole big white wedding thing. We just wanted to be married and that was that.

ReputationRep:
    I really love the idea of marriage and being married.. It's probably a long way off for me though, sadly. I can't see anyone proposing to me any time soon!!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, I'm quite conflicted. I think just I like the idea of having a husband. Saying "yeah, my husband" rather than "partner" or "boyfriend" obviously has stronger social connotations. But on the other hand, I personally haven't been around a good experience of marriage, and think it can sometimes put more pressure and a 'label' on the relationship. Not the case for all, of course.

But I do have respect for unmarried couples who have been together for many years. My boyfriend's best mates are getting married next summer which I have noticed has made him act a bit uncharacteristically anxious (!) Both of his friends are young though IMO (early twenties) and if I were to get married I wouldn't for a quite few years yet.

ReputationRep:
    Never. Not in a million years. As a man it's basically social suicide because the laws favour women, so I can understand why women want to get married. Knowing that you can completely screw a man over both emotionally and financially must be too much of a temptation for women.

ReputationRep:
    Not getting married is so much more common nowadays. When you have things like a house, kids, a car, joint bank account etc etc with someone, it does kinda seem pointless to get married. You're already tied to them so what's the point of paying extra to have a certificate too? Having said that, I do still wanna get married lol

ReputationRep:
    It's not that bad to not want to get married. Nor is it bad to want to get married. People want different things out of life, some feel marriage is great, others just aren't bothered, and some are even against the whole concept, I guess.

Personally, I fall into the not bothered category. I'm not ready to get married, nor can I see myself being ready for the foreseeable future, but I'm not saying never. It's not part of a life plan or anything, but who knows.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.