Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lewisham Town Hall protest broken up by riot police Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    It's not even that, it's the fact that they're going to have to realise that they depend on us so that they can actually carry out this stuff, and if we're all creating havoc then they're going to have to rethink.

No, I'm not a huge advocate of direct action, but it's better than sitting back and letting them slowly screw us over.
    So your solution to an economic crisis and economic downturn is to vandalise town halls? Essentially what you are promoting is fascism. We are not being "screwed over". A carefully planned economic programme has been put in place by two parties that formed a coalition representing 58% of the electorate, to best get us out of this mess.

"Havoc" will get you nowhere. You are wasting your time and your approach to this is moronic (and that's putting it lightly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    So your solution to an economic crisis and economic downturn is to vandalise town halls? Essentially what you are promoting is fascism. We are not being "screwed over". A carefully planned economic programme has been put in place by parties that represented 58% of the electorate, to best get us out of this mess.
    So, thousands of people losing their jobs (something that could actually be stopped, and there's opportunity for it to be reversed), but then also cutting any ways for people to get back into education (EMA, cutting of level 2 qualification provision for mature students, cutting university teaching budgets etc), and then cutting benefits isn't screwing us over?

This isn't carefully planned - it's a bloody travesty. I know that cuts have to be made, and there's so much that should be cut, but they're taking the piss with some of the stuff they've chosen.

You're twisting my words - I'm not saying we should all go and smash up our town halls, and I'd rather people protested peacefully, but it's important they're actually looking and listening to us. Also, 58% isn't actually true, is it? It's 58% of the 65.1% who actually went and voted, and doesn't include those who didn't, or those who can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    So, thousands of people losing their jobs
    Is a necessity. We do not have the money to pay for public sector workers that aren't vital, and it isn't simply as a case of 'we can work and just pay ourselves' as your incompetence leads me to think you believe.

(something that could actually be stopped, and there's opportunity for it to be reversed),

Our right to protest is one that I cherish. That does not however guarantee anything. Like I said, we do not live in a fascist state whereby the loudest and most powerful voice dominates our political spectrum.

but then also cutting any ways for people to get back into education (EMA, cutting of level 2 qualification provision for mature students, cutting university teaching budgets etc), and then cutting benefits isn't screwing us over?
    EMA should be scrapped. It is inefficient, unfair, unsuccessful and a waste of taxpayer money. The government are committed on providing support to families on low incomes in other forms, which go directly to the households as opposed to the bureaucratic and immeasurably bad way of providing finance to underprivileged families that you endorse. If you want to help those people, there are better ways of doing it. Cutting the rest of those things are necessities. It has nothing to do with your ideological idiocy of 'screwing us over'. I just hope to dear God the rest of the public aren't as economically incompetent as you.

This isn't carefully planned - it's a bloody travesty.

It's a tragedy, not a travesty. However, we must push onwards. It is a difficult truth to accept.

I know that cuts have to be made, and there's so much that should be cut, but they're taking the piss with some of the stuff they've chosen.

Even with every cut that's been made, we still haven't covered our income:spenditure deficit. These cuts aren't made to personally vindicate your friends and family. As I keep saying and as you keep failing to grasp. They are a necessity.

You're twisting my words - I'm not saying we should all go and smash up our town halls,

Good.

and I'd rather people protested peacefully,

So why are you glorifying the fact that money, time and effort had to be spent in the form of riot police to control your so called 'peaceful protest'? You're aware that that is money that could have been spent on a hospital?

but it's important they're actually looking and listening to us.

I agree. But like I said 'us' refers to 62,000,000 people. Not simply those who choose to protest. What about the people who agree with the measures? Are they to be ignored simply because you have a penchant for fascism and intolerance?

Also, 58% isn't actually true, is it? It's 58% of the 65.1% who actually went and voted, and doesn't include those who didn't, or those who can't.

32% Conservative.
    22% Liberal Democrat

I made a slight miscalculation in saying 58%, however 54% is still a wide majority. Those who choose not to vote forfeit their democratic voice when it comes to an election and choose to be a voiceless section of the electorate.

As for those who 'can't', there are more than enough opportunities and ways of voting, including getting someone else to vote on your behalf, and by post.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.