Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer first time round and then didn't get the grades. I think devastated was a bit of an understatement for how I felt at the time. Now I'm reapplying to do something where I'm still working with people in a healthcare setting, and then I can still do graduate entry medicine if I want to . Don't just put a science degree as a backup if you can't see yourself doing it for the foreseeable future...

ReputationRep:
    I think one has to be realistic. If u have been rejected, sit and think hard if u can improve the factors that led to a rejection. I am a reapplicant, got interviews but screwed all of them. I Actually laugh when i look back at how naive i was. I think i have a better chance this time around BUT my hopes arent that high coz if i dont get in Medicine, I can do any other science based degree (prefer pharmacy or neuroscience) and then med grad. Or, poland and Romania

Being rejected really hurts like hell esp the first time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    Hi there guys!

I want to do medicine...and I really can't imagine doing anything else with my life other than it..so i was just wondering if anyone really wanted to do medicine like me, applied and didn't get in and if you gave up?

I don't have the best grades...they're ok for medicine i think but obviously i stand a chance of not getting in, (3A* 7A GCSE + AABC AS)
    if i got rejected i would obviously reapply next year but if i kept getting rejected i might have to give up..has anyone did this and could have actually done medicine?
    Actually only 29% of those rejected continue trying. However this is according to my careers advisor at 6th form who also told me I could get in without chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevina)
    I think one has to be realistic. If u have been rejected, sit and think hard if u can improve the factors that led to a rejection. I am a reapplicant, got interviews but screwed all of them. I Actually laugh when i look back at how naive i was. I think i have a better chance this time around BUT my hopes arent that high coz if i dont get in Medicine, I can do any other science based degree (prefer pharmacy or neuroscience) and then med grad. Or, poland and Romania

Being rejected really hurts like hell esp the first time.

Could I ask what sort of thing went wrong at your interviews? and what advice would you give a first time applicant for interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaroberts20)
    Could I ask what sort of thing went wrong at your interviews? and what advice would you give a first time applicant for interviews?
    i had interviews from all of my choices on my first application and i think above everything else you have to be yourself. if u believe you are right for medicine and can get this through to the admissions dept you should have no worries. i've always believed that getting the interview is the hardest part because once you are in the room the odds are significantly more favourable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    Actually only 29% of those rejected continue trying. However this is according to my careers advisor at 6th form who also told me I could get in without chemistry
    that stat seems about right. you can get in without chem - just only 1 med school will consider you though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rj0804)
    i had interviews from all of my choices on my first application and i think above everything else you have to be yourself. if u believe you are right for medicine and can get this through to the admissions dept you should have no worries. i've always believed that getting the interview is the hardest part because once you are in the room the odds are significantly more favourable
    Thanks for the tip :-) Did you get any feedback from your interviews afterwards on what the problem was? It must have been quite difficult to have all the interviews and not get an offer, that is quite scary :-(

ReputationRep:
    Me after a disasterous UKCAT this year (620) im doing a placement year in biomed which im actually loving, however also looking at GDL (grad law) as a possible other career (medical malpractice lawyer). I missed my original medicine offer aswell

After only a few weeks of seeing how stressed the junior doctors are im seriously considering if its something i want to get myself into

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Me after a disasterous UKCAT this year (620) im doing a placement year in biomed which im actually loving, however also looking at GDL (grad law) as a possible other career (medical malpractice lawyer). I missed my original medicine offer aswell

After only a few weeks of seeing how stressed the junior doctors are im seriously considering if its something i want to get myself into

Your UKCAT is not that bad! You could have still tried with non-ukcat unis or those that place little emphasis on the ukcat such as Aberdeen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rj0804)
    that stat seems about right. you can get in without chem - just only 1 med school will consider you though
    Haha I guess I over doubted my careers adviser then. Which med school is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jfgwills5)
    thanks for your help

what does "acknowledged" mean?

and what will you do this year if you don't get in?
    Acknowledged just means the uni sends you an email to say they received your application. Some do it, but not all do.

EDIT: sorry forgot to answer your other question.. If I get the grades (which i fully intend to) I'm going to reapply and start working full time, hopefully as a HCA if I can find one. Travel a bit, gain some more experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annaroberts20)
    Like someone wrote, Be yourself!! Its okej to be nervous but dont let the nerves eat ur words up. What went wrong was the fact that i had not done my revision before the interviews, I advise u to know about the uni/program u are havin an interview for. Most pple would go "ofcourse u should know that", but it aint that easy.

If they ask u a qstn, and you dont know the answer? Just say you dont know and dont try to get ur way around it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    This is exactly what I think - I can imagine that determination to go for GEP does dwindle for most people. GEP itself sounds dreadful in terms of competition, which is enough to put anyone off.

I hope you manage to get your offers this year, it sounds like you've seen it all through this process. Good luck!
    I don't know how many people are aware but there are so many post grad students around in the A100 course...so even if you've done a degree and you feel the GEP competition etc is too tough for you or whatever, you can still quite easily apply and succeed in normal entry medicine. this shocked me to say the least because there are people in our groups who have really big clever degrees and obviousl have a head start in terms of knowledge and experience, especially if they did science related degrees (which they normally would have). and bottom line, school leavers can feel quite intimidated. but my point is that if you don't get in, don't get grades, do another degree and still want to do medicine but don't like the sound of GEP, just apply to the normal A100 and you have more than a fighting chance. I personally know so many post grads who did this.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smile-always)
    I don't know how many people are aware but there are so many post grad students around in the A100 course.
    The only problem with that is that it's hella expensive. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I must say, my thinking on the matter was:

Get an offer, get the grades = GREAT
    Don't get an offer, get the grades = reapply
    Don't get an offer, don't get the grades = Pharmacy insurance
    Don't get the grades for Pharmacy = wasn't considered

And if I had got the grades for Pharmacy but not medicine, I would have stuck with Pharmacy and not done grad entry or what not. Not because I'm not committed, but I'm a bit of a Que Sera Sera person, so would have just accepted the fact that I didn't get in to medicine and left it at that.
    Pretty much exactly what I was going to do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.