Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How important is University rep for Engineering? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    Mmm, but a lot of people at the "top" unis have various engineering internships, raw talent and strong ECs. I dont want to start an argument here but a lot of the more popular companies have a preferred 5/6 unis, which will usually offer their internships to, and internships are about as good as it gets.
    I agree that popular companies have preferred unis, they have to if they want to whittle the thousands of applicants down.

Don't agree that internships are as good as it gets, in terms of what? I was successful in industry without one. Most professionals I spoke to were very understanding that there are only so many places for internships and not all good students will get one. Also having spoken to many people who did internships they didn't sound very interesting or fulfilling. They are an asset on a CV though, not gonna argue with that.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it is not so much university reputation but a clustering effect due to recruiting based on "what you know" or are familiar with. I mean recruiting staff is an expensive and time consuming business, if you get it wrong it can be a real pain in the back side, so it is not surprising if some companies do have their favourites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    I agree that popular companies have preferred unis, they have to if they want to whittle the thousands of applicants down.

Don't agree that internships are as good as it gets, in terms of what? I was successful in industry without one. Most professionals I spoke to were very understanding that there are only so many places for internships and not all good students will get one. Also having spoken to many people who did internships they didn't sound very interesting or fulfilling. They are an asset on a CV though, not gonna argue with that.
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely know there amazing things to be done outside of internships! But as this thread is about employers, i don't think you can do better (in that context) than interning with the company you want to work for. For example, of Laing O Rourkes graduate intake last year, about 95/110 were students who had previously interned with them. That's huge! The point I was making is that internships are the best way to get a job with a company, and university rep plays a role in getting these internships as a) undergraduate applications generally have little between them and b) the company may well have a preference for some unis. So I'd argue that uni rep does help early on, although as you pointed out there are a number of other ways of breaking in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely know there amazing things to be done outside of internships! But as this thread is about employers, i don't think you can do better (in that context) than interning with the company you want to work for. For example, of Laing O Rourkes graduate intake last year, about 95/110 were students who had previously interned with them. That's huge! The point I was making is that internships are the best way to get a job with a company, and university rep plays a role in getting these internships as a) undergraduate applications generally have little between them and b) the company may well have a preference for some unis. So I'd argue that uni rep does help early on, although as you pointed out there are a number of other ways of breaking in
    Agreed. I just haven't met many grad engineers who interned anywhere though. A lot of people from Oxbridge, Imperial etc. get obsessed with the big companies but there are literally hundreds of thousands of other, smaller companies out there too.

I'm just trying to spread the love.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. I just haven't met many grad engineers who interned anywhere though. A lot of people from Oxbridge, Imperial etc. get obsessed with the big companies but there are literally hundreds of thousands of other, smaller companies out there too.
    I don't know about now but these were also the companies who used to be the most aggressive with their marketing when I was an undergrad at Cambridge so it is kind of swings and roundabouts.

ReputationRep:

I'm just trying to spread the love.
    Sorry if I came across the wrong way, really didn't mean to. I just wanted to provide a more balanced view about uni rep as people might make decisions based on info given in these boards.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Peel)
    i don't think you can do better (in that context) than interning with the company you want to work for.
    Yes, you be awarded a scholarship from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes, you be awarded a scholarship from them.
    I'd agree but only for scholarships/sponsorships that include internships. A scholarship/sponsorship without them is nice, but you dont get any experience and as you've mentioned before, companies are interested in what you done and what you can do.

Ps. Sorry OP for derailing the thread!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Peel)
    I'd agree but only for scholarships/sponsorships that include internships. A scholarship/sponsorship without them is nice, but you dont get any experience and as you've mentioned before, companies are interested in what you done and what you can do.

Ps. Sorry OP for derailing the thread!
    I think they all include internships. The ones at my university guarantee one each summer. I don't see why a company would pay thousands of pounds to someone but then not give them any experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I think they all include internships. The ones at my university guarantee one each summer. I don't see why a company would pay thousands of pounds to someone but then not give them any experience.
    Yep you're right most do include them, but some, particularly those from institutions like ICE, IMechE, or other places like RAE often don't include internships.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Peel)
    Yep you're right most do include them, but some, particularly those from institutions like ICE, IMechE, or other places like RAE often don't include internships.
    Oh, okay, I forgot about their scholarships.

ReputationRep:
    I guess uni with better rep has better connections with industries so you will have less problems finding one that suits you. Other that that as long as it's accredited I don't see any difference.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.