Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most used words in British English? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Pants = trousers (whenever they say on american tv "I'M NOT WEARING ANY PANTS," means totally different thing. I still get confused)
    Panties = knickers (i absolutely HATE HATE HATE the word panties, you know there are words that really get under your skin? Halfway through a stephen king book he says it and I just winced)
    Mom = mum (mom looks stupid to me)
    College = University (college in BE = what you do after GCSES, i.e. like the equivilant of junior and senior year)
    Courgette = Zucchini (i've NEVER understood that one)

init, izit, aite, pussy, tw*t, *******s (or is that just 'cos I'm from Essaaaax?)

In Hazza P's american version they tried to put things like "crikey" in so it would feel more british but an american would understand it... like, no one says crikey really.

I have a tendency to say "trufaxblud" but that may be just me

side note - I hate it when americans say "OH MA GOD I LAAARV THE BRITISH ACCENT" when there's so many accents all over the uk (to name but a few just in england: scouse, mancunian, brum, cornish, geordie let alone all the welsh, scottish and northern irish ones - well, not many of the latter) and what americans REALLY mean is "omg I love the received pronunciation accent." jussayin'.

ReputationRep:
    Simples

ReputationRep:
    'Chav' and 'royal'.

ReputationRep:
    alright mate.

ReputationRep:
    Rather? :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    ''Yeah'' and ''I''

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about the english language but the most used words on tsr seem to be
    student
    tories
    political correctness
    racist
    muslims
    money
    boyfriend
    girlfriend
    sex
    virgin
    university
    chav
    ZOMGZ I GOTS SO MANY A*
    oxbridge
    pussy
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I, and, yh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.