Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    That would be a good point if England had an English parliament.

Its not fair that a Scottish or Welch MP can vote on an issue that will have no relevance to their constituency. Its also not fair that if my brother was born 12 miles to the west he would get a substantially cheaper education.
    I agree, Welsh and Scottish MPs shouldn't be allowed to vote on issues that only affect the English. There should be four devolved assemblies for each of the home nations and Westminster should only be for issues that affect every county. Btw it's not about where you're born, it's about where you live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    They had to do it region by region, if one rejected it there was no point in holding more as it can't work if certain regions say no.
    The vote wasnt even on an English parliament. It was on regional assemblies who would probably have very little power. I would have voted no. If there was a referendum on an English parliament then I would vote yes.

Do you think we should just have parliamentary elections in certain areas as well?

ReputationRep:
    Not really, look into the politics first. England voted conservative, Wales voted Labour. Why should Wales not have reduced fees if our assembly, elected by us has chosen to protect them?

Can you tell me a single person who will be directly affected by these measures (increasing tuition fees) that voted in the general election. It is hardly fair to pass on 80% cuts to the people who cannot vote and in comparison meagre cuts to people who can vote.

ReputationRep:
    Good for them, it shouldn't be about taking their subsidised education away - it should be about asking why English and Northern Irish students won't have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    No, of course they deserve it! I think you misconstrued what I meant. I think English students should be outraged about how the fees are rising, just not bitter towards the Welsh about it. Sorry if I worded it badly.
    While it's obviously horrible for the English, politically it's perfectly fair that Welsh students will pay lower.
    Ok well I totally agree with you. I'm happy for the Welsh, just disappointed that it doesn't happen here as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovedubstep)
    Can you tell me a single person who will be directly affected by these measures (increasing tuition fees) that voted in the general election. It is hardly fair to pass on 80% cuts to the people who cannot vote and in comparison meagre cuts to people who can vote.
    Mature students.:erm:
    But yes, I think that's what's most awful about these increases in fees. The vast majority affected were powerless to resist the proposals politically. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    Mature students.:erm:
    But yes, I think that's what's most awful about these increases in fees. The vast majority affected were powerless to resist the proposals politically. Grr.
    Oh yeah forgot about them...

ReputationRep:
    Woah. Well I'm Welsh, so this is bloody brilliant! But I completely understand those English people who feel upset about it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, Welsh and Scottish MPs shouldn't be allowed to vote on issues that only affect the English. There should be four devolved assemblies for each of the home nations and Westminster should only be for issues that affect every county. Btw it's not about where you're born, it's about where you live
    Yeah as far as Im aware its where you have been living for 3years prior to starting university...so in theory when the child gets to GCSE stage they could move them to wales to get lower fees, unlikely but possible - I was fuming that my parents moved me at 14 and moved 6 miles away from the border of Wales, a tiny bit further and I too would have had subsidised fees

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Yeah as far as Im aware its where you have been living for 3years prior to starting university...so in theory when the child gets to GCSE stage they could move them to wales to get lower fees, unlikely but possible - I was fuming that my parents moved me at 14 and moved 6 miles away from the border of Wales, a tiny bit further and I too would have had subsidised fees
    Ouch. yeah, it's unfortunate for the poor souls that live in towns right on the border between Wales and England.

I hope anyone that moves here because of this bothers to learn at least a bit of Welsh though. Welsh people already complain enough about the 'mewnlifiad Seisnig' and English people with holiday homes here. I don't think this will improve the situation much.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. yeah, it's unfortunate for the poor souls that live in towns right on the border between Wales and England.

I hope anyone that moves here because of this bothers to learn at least a bit of Welsh though. Welsh people already complain enough about the 'mewnlifiad Seisnig' and English people with holiday homes here. I don't think this will improve the situation much.
    Its daft really, My OH is welsh, born and bred but he only lived a few miles into wales - infact he went to an English school and Sixth Form...I lived just a few miles the other side but theres a 50% difference between us in what we paid for uni even though we both went to the same one....I understand it but its silly in a way when you think about it...

Id love to learn welsh but too complicated from me, Ive picked up Arraf and Ysgol and thats about it haha....apparently I sound Welsh now tho Certainly wont be moving back to England any time soon. Whereabouts are you Dusty?

ReputationRep:
    I'm Welsh and think it's awful.

I'm lucky, very lucky but well, I don't agree with it at all.

However I agree with the tuition fee rise, so there we go.

If I was English I'd be absolutely outraged.

ReputationRep:
    It would take more than £9000 a year in my pocket to get me to live in Wales!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    Its daft really, My OH is welsh, born and bred but he only lived a few miles into wales - infact he went to an English school and Sixth Form...I live just a few miles the other side but theres a 50% difference between us in what we paid for uni even though we both went to the same one....I understand it but its silly in a way when you think about it...

Id love to learn welsh but too complicated from me, Ive picked up Arraf and Ysgol and thats about it haha....apparently I sound Welsh now tho
    Yeah, technically it makes sense, but in cases like yours it just seems really unfair. =S

Ah, go on, try to learn a bit of it. Although, I can see how it would be a daunting prospect if you're from England.

Another interesting point is that Welsh people also voted the current government in. It is really fair that they're immune from the consequences of this government then? I'm not complaining though, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, technically it makes sense, but in cases like yours it just seems really unfair. =S

Ah, go on, try to learn a bit of it. Although, I can see how it would be a daunting prospect if you're from England.

Another interesting point is that Welsh people also voted the current government in. It is really fair that they're immune from the consequences of this government then? I'm not complaining though, of course.:$
    Yeah thats what I dont really get, if we're devolved and have our own government it seems weird to vote for another government....At least the WAG's (haha makes me chuckle) have seen sense

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.