Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gleek#1)
    They give out offers ranging from AAB-ABB they specifiy you need A in chem and A and B in another science and a third non-science A-level.
    Is the AB in a science and non-science either way round? Or A in the science and B in the non science? You need to be sure of that. If it's the latter, they've given you the upper end of their standard offer.

In any case, you could always send a friendly e-mail and ask what would happen if you missed the A in Bio, since you're predicted a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics Enemy)
    Is the AB in a science and non-science either way round? Or A in the science and B in the non science? You need to be sure of that. If it's the latter, they've given you the upper end of their standard offer.

In any case, you could always send a friendly e-mail and ask what would happen if you missed the A in Bio, since you're predicted a B.
    That's the thing they don't actually state on their website which way round the want you to to get the AB. But I'm certain of this they didnt specify on their website which way round they wanted the AB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    If you're desperate, you can try calling them up to negotiate the offer, but I've rarely heard of that working.

I really don't grasp your indignity at this whole situation. You weren't cheated of anything. Universities don't owe you anything. You are asking for a place at their university among other applicants, so they can offer you anything they want. If Aston decided to offer you A*A*A* that would be well within their rights, regardless of your own predictions and offers they gave to other applicants. We don't know why other Aston Pharmacy applicants got offers of ABB/BBB, maybe their PSes were better, maybe their AS grades were of a higher standard, we don't know. What's done is done.

Of course there's no guarantee you'll get an A, but if you really want it, do your best. And if that doesn't work, you'll be relying on an insurance choice I guess.
    At the same time though I think you can appreciate the very frustrating position that the OP is in. These are life changing offers, where you go to university will affect who lecturers you, if you're in a place you feel comfortable in or not, your prospects after uni, in most cases what the course content is.

So to want to go somewhere and feel like they've rejected you isn't the easiest thing to deal with. And when you feel the offer is unattainable, what else can you feel about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    At the same time though I think you can appreciate the very frustrating position that the OP is in. These are life changing offers, where you go to university will affect who lecturers you, if you're in a place you feel comfortable in or not, your prospects after uni, in most cases what the course content is.

So to want to go somewhere and feel like they've rejected you isn't the easiest thing to deal with. And when you feel the offer is unattainable, what else can you feel about it?
    I'm so pleased that amid the negativity that there are people like you who are so supportive and empathetic towards others. I thank you and if nothing at all I feel a little better now that I have posted on TSR.

ReputationRep:

I appreciate that it's upsetting for the OP, but applicants need to be aware that the application process is unpredictable and universities can do some pretty surprising things. We could all be warm and cuddly and tell the OP that this is all so unfair and give her cyber-hugs... but that's not painting a realistic picture for the other applicants and future applicants on here reading this thread. You have to go into the application process prepared for the worst. I think the OP should feel a bit grateful that they've at least given her a chance rather than just flat-out rejecting her.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing they don't actually state on their website which way round the want you to to get the AB. But I'm certain of this they didnt specify on their website which way round they wanted the AB.
    If they say 'A in another science and B in a non-science' that means A in Chem, A in another Science and B in a non-science.

Else, they'd just say AAB with A in Chem and including another science, or phrase it as A in Chem and AB in a science and non-science either way round.

ReputationRep:
    They'll give you a higher offer to see if you really want it and are willing to be a hardworking student. If you're not willing to re-take modules, work hard and have a positive outake, more than likely, they don't want you. You're fighting for a position, they've offered you one. However, competition may be higher this year for the course you want to do meaning that you will have to work harder for that place.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so pleased that amid the negativity that there are people like you who are so supportive and empathetic towards others. I thank you and if nothing at all I feel a little better now that I have posted on TSR.
    I think it's good to vent. Set your self some time to feel bad about ****. Get rid of your frustrations. But after a small amount of time (which you've pre-set) stop doing that, take a few deep breaths in through the nose, into the stomach (not the chest) and out through the mouth. Concentrate on your work and when you're not working, concentrate on de-stressing . Remember to be happy as well.

I appreciate that it's upsetting for the OP, but applicants need to be aware that the application process is unpredictable and universities can do some pretty surprising things. You have to go into the application process prepared for the worst. I think she should feel a bit grateful that they've at least given her a chance rather than just flat-out rejecting her.
    True but I think the OP is probably fairly aware of it, what with them giving her a fairly "**** you" sounding offer :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hg345)
    They'll give you a higher offer to see if you really want it and are willing to be a hardworking student. If you're not willing to re-take modules, work hard and have a positive outake, more than likely, they don't want you. You're fighting for a position, they've offered you one. However, competition may be higher this year for the course you want to do meaning that you will have to work harder for that place.
    Thats all and well in fairy-land but in the real world they have a hidden agenda. I believe that they give higher offers than the predicted grades to make it extra difficult for applicants like me to get in, simply because they need some method for combating the increase in student numbers. I mean last year their offer grades were BBB standard no fuss no complications.

ReputationRep:
    True but I think the OP is probably fairly aware of it, what with them giving her a fairly "**** you" sounding offer :P.
    I really don't understand what you want us to say to her. :confused: I could agree with the OP that this offer is unfair, and make her feel better, but that would be wrong. Many of us (myself included) have had to deal with offers higher than expected with the fierce competition this year, that's just the way it happens. We can't stop to garnish sympathy upon anyone this happens to, this has been and is going to be a very hard application cycle for lots of people, we have to keep going.

ReputationRep:
    Thats all and well in fairy-land but in the real world they have a hidden agenda. I believe that they give higher offers than the predicted grades to make it extra difficult for applicants like me to get in, simply because they need some method for combating the increase in student numbers. I mean last year their offer grades were BBB standard no fuss no complications.

It's not extra difficult for "people like you" it's extra difficult for everyone. No one automatically gets high grades. Unfortunately when courses get higher in demand the grades needed to get on those courses increase to (like you said) limit the number of students getting on. They don't need people dropping out if they had people willing to work to fill the spaces. It's unfair but it's the way unis work.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand what you want us to say to her. :confused: I could agree with the OP that this offer is unfair, and make her feel better, but that would be wrong. Many of us (myself included) have had to deal with offers higher than expected with the fierce competition this year, that's just the way it happens. We can't stop to garnish sympathy upon anyone this happens to, this has been and is going to be a very hard application cycle for lots of people, we have to keep going.
    You make it sound as if by dropping in positive words of support that you're going to somehow be at a disadvantage. If you're stopping to post in the first place surely it's better to post something that might help, rather than something the OP seems to understand. It sounds very much like they're just very stressed.

ReputationRep:
    That is NOT a hidden agenda at all! They have to keep student numbers down, you do realise that universities get fined a LOT of money if they take students above their government assigned-quota? You were naive to expect the entry requirements to stay at BBB, uni has been getting more and more competitive every year recently, LOADS of uni entry requirements went up this year, and plenty of people (myself included) have experienced that.

Look my sympathies go out to you (and my apparent lack of empathy is just because there are other applicants and future applicants reading this thread, so I need to be quite blunt with the truth)... but you have to stop with this- this isn't a healthy way of dealing with the situation. If you vent and get frustrated about the situation, nothing good will come of it. You have an offer that many students won't have even received in the first place. It's up to you what you do with it.

ReputationRep:
    You make it sound as if by dropping in positive words of support that you're going to somehow be at a disadvantage. If you're stopping to post in the first place surely it's better to post something that might help, rather than something the OP seems to understand. It sounds very much like they're just very stressed.
    I'll put it to you this way: if this was a conversation happening via private messages or a face-to-face conversation, my replies would be drastically different. The fact that this is a public thread, with FAR more people than just the OP reading this dictates my replies.

ReputationRep:
    I think the replied to this post are actually pretty spot on. It is very competitive and they can't let everyone in. If they offered BBB to everyone, whilst the number of potential applicants is rising, they would have an issue. However the offer has gone up fairly significantly in my eyes, which is one of my reasons for sympathising with you. I'm not sure talking about it in this way will continue to help you (at least in this thread).
    I'd feel pretty rotten if I were you. And I know that if I feel pretty rotten I usually don't think about things in the most logical way and I'm much more susceptible to posting things which are a bit detached from reality.
    You know things will probably be a lot easier to deal with when you've had a good nights sleep. You want to get your biology grade up to an A right?
    Maybe you should aim to be a bit more proactive and make a list of the sorts of things you can do to achieve that end. Show it to your biology tutors, or a tutor you feel more comfortable with. And put that list into action. Whether you achieve that end or not that'll sort of discipline, currently practised or not, will probably help you in your future education/career.

ReputationRep:
    You haven't been cheated - they had no obligation to even make you an offer in the first place. Competition is tough, so either get those grades and go to Aston, or don't and go somewhere else...you should be glad that they have made you an offer on any conditions at all considering the number of applicants who will just be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    I'll put it to you this way: if this was a conversation happening via private messages or a face-to-face conversation, my replies would be drastically different. The fact that this is a public thread, with FAR more people than just the OP reading this dictates my replies.
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I just think that it may be more productive to show a little more support, because other readers may be in similar situations and seeing that it's not all bad, reading a few words of encouragement, can all go hand in hand with the general posts you've made.

I know this will sound girly, but there's a lot of meaning in the way we say things.

I think someone else said before "your PS may have been crap" and someone else (maybe you actually) said "other people may have written better PS's" (these aren't word for word quotes). They both basically say the same thing, but the way the first one comes off is very negative.

The reason this sounds girly; "it's not what you said it's the way you said it".

ReputationRep:
    How very constructive and helpful. Really, I think you told the OP some calming advice that they didn't know already.
    Theres nothing constructive to say since OP cant do anything about it.

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I have received an offer from Aston for pharmacy for AAB. At first I was overjoyed as Aston was going to be my firm. Yet to my shock I discovered upon clicking on the offer conditions that they require me to achieve A in biology A in chem and B in my third A-level and B at AS. The problem that I have is that with my current grade in biology which is B at the moment I don't think I can achieve an A grade. My predicted grades are A in chem B in biology and an A in my third A-level which is something I'm working towards.
    So in summary they offered me a place which needs me to get A in biology when they knew that my predicted grade in Biology was B. As I have already eluded to in the title of this thread I feel cheated and somewhat annoyed as they have given me an offer which they strongly believe I cannot attain and I know I cannot attain.
    Advice needed, as I'm at a loss.

PS: don't comment saying try harder because believe me I will, but there are no guarantee that I will be able to get an A as I need to achieve 90% in my A2 year (which is almost impossible).

I know of people who got offered ABB and BBB which is seemingly unfair.
    I went to Bath today (also for pharmacy) and they said if you fell you cannot get your predicted grades please tell us and we will offer you something lower. So maybe try ringing them up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LufcEllandRoad)
    Theres nothing constructive to say since OP cant do anything about it.
    Of course there is, helping them move past this will help them to have a positive mindset, helping them to do better in their work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.