Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nufc7)
    Hey there

I am currently in year 11 choosing my A level options, which believe me, is a lot harder than choosing GCSEs. I noticed your choices are quite similiar to mine, so here are my thoughts...

At my school a language was compulsory plus three other options. Personally I chose French, German, Geography and Music, along with the compulsories of maths, english and triple science. In my opinion, French is definitely the best option that you've suggested here, since I've heard universities highly value languages, and it also gives you a great life skill if you go abroad, so it is understandable why the school made it compulsory. If you are good at French, I'd say go for it - I did a 1 year GCSE course and got an A* at the end of yr 10, and it's given me more time to revise for other subjects this year.

Geography is a good subject to do if you're interested in the subject, and I found it very interesting. You also get to go on many trips which is an added bonus . However, the downfall of geography is that there is tonnes of coursework, which I am currently still working on. I don't know how this compares to A level, which is why I'm pondering continuing it, but if you don't like lots of writing (like me), you will not be too keen on the c/w. I believe it to be a fairly well valued subject though, and if you can nail the coursework, great.

I see you obviously have a great passion for music, so it's definitely a good option if you are good at it. I am grade 7 piano and doing GCSE Music, and I'm one of the top in the class (not being cocky ). So grade 8 piano is amazing! - congrats on that. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a high grade for that one, although the GCSE does involve composing and listening skills too.

I'm afraid I can't help you much with travel and tourism as I wasn't even aware it was a subject, although we did cover the topic of tourism in geography and did a module on it.

The main thing is don't worry about it! I only recently realised how insignificant GCSEs are compared to A levels (don't get me wrong, they're still important) and it doesn't really matter what the subjects are, I think it's mainly the grades the universities look at, but remember not to write off things you might want to pursue and do for A level as some you can't take without a GCSE. So my advice to you is that you pick things you enjoy and think you might want to pursue in the future, such as music, just do well in whatever you choose and you should be off in the right track

Hope this helps, good luck!

P.S. Wow just realised how long that was haha
    Thhankyou so much for you reply it's really helped and yeah, I do know that GCSE's are not as important.. but I like to choose the "right" subjects if you know what I mean Also, I have skipped a load of grades in piano so I'm not as good as someone who has done every grade...
    Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Good choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    Good choices
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaya:))
    Thankyou
    Your welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.