Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are police allowed to punch you in the face? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Yep. I was at Trafalgar Sq. but when I saw a battalion of police officers coming over I already knew what were they going to do, so I got my friends and I told them to head back near the Texas Embassy. Later on, I joined some other group( fairly smaller) which had the dude with the music and we marched miles around Central London..no violence, no swearing, just peaceful walking...and listening to dubstep...people were even cheering for us
    We didn't get kettled straight away, marching around peacefully for about an hour and a bit, went to get some lunch, re-joined a smaller group who were looking for the bigger group and then finding out that they'd been kettled :/

ReputationRep:
    well they are allowed to use "appropriate force when necessary". I mean, if you're a retarded protester who keeps intimidating the police then yes that's what you deservingly get. You shouldn't really shout at them as they're only there to maintain and contain violence in the protest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob'syouruncle)
    Well no, he wasn't being abusive or aggressive, in fact he was actually apologising when he got punched, i was right next to him when it happened and as far as i could tell the only reason they were shoving people and/or punching was because we were walking next to them. If we unintentionally got too close to them they would shove you a couple of metres back
    You should have waited till one of them pushed you back when you were doing nothing wrong and fell on the floor faking a seizure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tikkitak)
    Well from my expert knowledge (ie. watching Coppers 2 last night) they can legally punch you in the face/use other force as long as they can justify why they've done it.
    Perhaps they saw your friend as being threatening for some reason? They cant just punch him in the face if he's done nothing wrong!

Nice! On topic though yes they can, but in the situation you've described no,I get the impression there was a lot more to that than you're giving away.

If an officer feels they need to they can use 'reasonable force' on a person, for obvious reasons they use a punch as a last resort, but really the police are fully within their rights to punch or kick you if they can justify that it was needed to detain you or defend themselves, just like any other member of the public, they just have more of a justification to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    What are you going to do, issue a citizen's arrest on them?
    Actually there is no such thing as a citizens arrest. There is only a common law/normal arrest which can be implemented by anyone providing the circumstances are right. And then there's a special arrest which can only be used by a police constable.
    So what you meant to say was "issue an arrest on the"

ReputationRep:
    Some faces are just screaming for a punch, tbh. Does your friend have this type of face?

ReputationRep:
    If they feel "threatened" then yes. But they all abuse their powers and it seems like thats what happened concerning your incident today.

ReputationRep:
    The police should be allowed to exert their right to self-defense. The state uses the phrase widely all the time. All you have to do is think of terrorism or an Islamic group and observe the state's power in self-defence to do as it pleases often not by just a punch in the face.

ReputationRep:
    ha

ReputationRep:
    They are probably just annoyed that the students are out protesting again. I know if you were peacefully protesting that is fair enough, you have every right to, but they were probably fed up of having to be there to make sure things didn't get ugly. The officer shouldn't have punched your friend if he did nothing wrong; there is nothing illegal about walking or protesting.

File a complaint to the Met and see where it goes from there.

ReputationRep:
    I was in Manchester during the protests last week and saw a copper get punched square in the face, he wasn't doing anything! The guy just ran off, ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I want to become a police officer and just punch people in the face. What a brilliant job, they get paid for this? Dang.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbygreg)
    If they can justify why they did it in a court of law then yes, they are allowed to use appropriate force. This is up for interpretation and there is no book saying what you can and cannot do. But yes if they deem it necessary and can justify it then yes they can punch you in the face.
    Thats not true and it depends if you are using the force of law or law itself.

If you were a solicitor you would be fired.

BANG BANG!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob'syouruncle)
    Today I attended the third day of protest in london, and while we were marching peacefully around london, there was a line of policemen alongside our march (presumably to keep watch and make sure we stayed non-violent). At certain times our path of walking was quite tight because of cars and buses so we had to squeeze through which meant we were quite close to the police and they would simply shove people away and even punched a friend of mine right in the face for simply walking.

So my question is, are they allowed to do this? We noted down the officers number but unfortunately no one filmed it.
    I don't know, but I wish I could punch you.

I'm joking, I just couldn't resist.

Sorry 'hugs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    Nice!
    Hey, its a valid source of information!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    well they are allowed to use "appropriate force when necessary". I mean, if you're a retarded protester who keeps intimidating the police then yes that's what you deservingly get. You shouldn't really shout at them as they're only there to maintain and contain violence in the protest.
    So it's ok for the police to use violence if you get a bit gobby with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    lol they turn violent on you for some reason, I saw a protester saying similar things and every police officer decided to use "necessary force" to "keep order" on him :rofl:
    i'd do it about a foot away, get my mate to film it, and put on my most patronising plummy english voice i can manage - will be quality. bunch of povvos the police are

ReputationRep:
    wonder why the incident of police on horse-back charging into a kettled crowd populated with young school children hasn’t been covered in recent news: http://anticuts.com/2010/11/26/the-i...dia-wont-show/
    yet when a fire extinguisher almost hits a policeman it’s in every paper the following day.

ReputationRep:
    No. But they're allowed to restrain you.

ReputationRep:
    Copperrr punch!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.