Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has immigration made Britain a more homophobic country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Disagree. Bible is not exactly the God's word. It has been written by people, who have added things to their own convenience, therefore totally unreliable.
    Well that's good isn't it. Did the authors leave a note telling the reader which is God's word and which is the writer's meaningless opinion? If not, how do you decide which is which?

I am a Muslim, but even if there are certain commands I don't follow in Islam, that doesn't stop me from being Muslim.
    But it definitely makes you less of a Muslim than someone who does.

Every human has a right to make a reasonable judgement and the way how they interpret things affect what they believe. As I said I don't follow my religion blindly. Homosexuality is condemned in Islam surely, but we don't live in Medieval society anymore and we know that homosexuality is natural - people can't help what they feel and I'm able to empathise with them outside of what my religion says and make my own rational decision.
    Whilst I'm not saying accepting homosexuals is a bad thing, Muslims do (or at least are supposed to) consider the Qur'an to be the literal word of Allah. So, whilst it may be difficult for you to accept that homosexuality is a sin and wrong, this is what Allah wants and you have to go with it. Just because society's values are different now it's doesn't make it any more OK in the eyes of the Lord. Paederasty, for example, was once commonplace in certain societies but I bet, despite this, you would tell me that Allah would condemn it, even when it was acceptable.

My point is, you can't just pick and choose your beliefs from your religion based on popular opinion - God's word is eternal.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. It's all the damn pakis faults. :rolleyes:

Relax, I'm being sarcastic. I'm Bangladeshi

ReputationRep:
    lololol, thread full of undefined and meaningless buzz words. Tolerance, acceptance, understanding!

What?

Really, what does it actually mean. In real world examples, what does it actually mean? No one has ever explained it, I am convinced they're just hollow words that people repeat to look like they're at the cutting edge of 2010 social fashions.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it has.

We shouldn't tolerate homophobia just because the homophobes are migrants.

In Britain we believe in freedom and respect, including for gays.

If these migrants (Primarily Muslim) are offended by this they should piss off to the bigotted, intolerant hellhole they crawled out of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Pray tell, how are they unrelated?
    There's no real trail of logic leading one to the other. It's VERY VERY generalised

ReputationRep:
    no mass immigration to Britain has brought in more tax payers and consumers
    more people paying tax , more people spending money

driving the cost of labour DOWN, driving the cost of goods and services UP

Mass immigration was for Big Business

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it logically, it must be making Britain more homophobic, or at least it means homophobia is declining more slowly than it could be. I think it's fair to say the majority of muslims don't accept homosexuality, and I'd have thought most non-muslim countries where many immigrants come from are generally more homophobic than Britain.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that all immigrants are homophobic; however, a large proportion of Britain's immigration descends from cultures and religions that are extremely homophobic compared with the generally liberal, tolerant outlook on homosexuality from mainstream Christianity in the UK.

And, yes, there are a lot of Britons who are homophobic as well - but that's not the discussion.

So, do you think immigration has increased homophobia in the UK, and set us backwards in terms of tolerance and acceptance?
    :/

You are asking for a discussion on how far foreign influences create a homophobic environment, yet you are banning any mention of the other major factor.

About tolerance. I would have said that mixing people together should in theory create a more tolerant society as you see that your preconceptions about other races, cultures, religions is wrong or out of place. Its like meeting an American for the first time and realising that they arent all fat.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as this, and you have people on both sides who think it is their purpose to go around and create tension to prevent such integration. The fact that there have been numerous cases of people of different cultures living harmoniously in history shows that people can be tolerant of those that are different and live side by side with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    :/

You are asking for a discussion on how far foreign influences create a homophobic environment, yet you are banning any mention of the other major factor.
    Well I don't see how it's particularly relevant. Yes there are plenty of homophobic British people people, but as far as I can see their numbers will only be decreasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Well I don't see how it's particularly relevant. Yes there are plenty of homophobic British people people, but as far as I can see their numbers will only be decreasing.
    discussion:yes/no/to an extent etc

no because there are homophobes already here.

if I was to go down that line of argument it is extremely relevant. may I ask what you are basing your observation on? How are you classing homophobes, people who jump about in the street attacking openly gay men? what about those who vehemently oppose homosexuality but are scared of being labelled a homophobe? what about those who have a slight discomfort around homosexuals? what about those who use the word "gay" in a negative fashion? my uncle says he hates homosexuals but one of his best friends was openly gay and camp, is he a homophobe?

the idea that foreigners hold ill feeling towards homosexuals is something that is said to us by other people or media. what is the difference between the asian working class community in Oldham having a tendency to hate homosexuals compared to the white working class population of Wiltshire?

Its not necessarily a cultural characteristic and sometimes it just feels like people are trying to unload negative behaviour on those whose roots it is easy to manipulate as not many of us know about it.

ReputationRep:
    the idea that foreigners hold ill feeling towards homosexuals is something that is said to us by other people or media. what is the difference between the asian working class community in Oldham having a tendency to hate homosexuals compared to the white working class population of Wiltshire?
    Okay, let's look at this a bit more objectively. It's pretty unquestionable that immigration from people of the Islamic faith has made up one of the largest (if not the largest) proportion of immigration within the past few years.

Now juxtapose that notion with this.

And, the reason why I 'banned' it from the thread, is because this thread is about the topic of immigration and homophobia. You are more than welcome to make a thread stating something along the lines of 'has homophobia within the non-immigrant community increased?'

ReputationRep:
    Okay, let's look at this a bit more objectively. It's pretty unquestionable that immigration from people of the Islamic faith has made up one of the largest (if not the largest) proportion of immigration within the past few years.

Now juxtapose that notion with this.

And, the reason why I 'banned' it from the thread, is because this thread is about the topic of immigration and homophobia. You are more than welcome to make a thread stating something along the lines of 'has homophobia within the non-immigrant community increased?'
    lawl, 500 Muslims were interviewed, how on earth does this relate to every Muslim in the UK? for all you know this could have been undertaken in a community like Luton which is supposedly a hot bed of Islamic extremism.

ReputationRep:
    lawl, 500 Muslims were interviewed, how on earth does this relate to every Muslim in the UK? for all you know this could have been undertaken in a community like Luton which is supposedly a hot bed of Islamic extremism.
    That's what a poll is - to take a representative segment of the group, and to produce an opinion. And, Gallup is relatively reputable, so I doubt they purposefully interviewed an extreme group or we would have seen rebuttals.

I mean, do you really believe the poll is wholly unrepresentative of the views of the Muslim population, notorious for conservative views on homosexuality?

What evidence do you have to support your views?

ReputationRep:
    That's what a poll is - to take a representative segment of the group, and to produce an opinion. And, Gallup is relatively reputable, so I doubt they purposefully interviewed an extreme group or we would have seen rebuttals.

I mean, do you really believe the poll is wholly unrepresentative of the views of the Muslim population, notorious for conservative views on homosexuality?

What evidence do you have to support your views?
    you cant just throw up a single poll and scream "EVIDENCE, NOW U!!!!!". A poll with such a small sample size isnt the most reliable, also elaborate on the idea that "Gallup is relatively reliable".

Where does this idea that Islam is more homophobic then other religions come from? Nearly all religions have something negative to say about homosexuality? Gomorrah was destroyed in the first testament because it had a gay population?!

No, you are right I have no evidence, yet I was not trying to make a counter argument, rather draw upon what I believed to be a flaw in your OP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.