Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK's Problem: Nick Clegg Did a Sociology Degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    UK's problem: Nick Clegg is propping up a Tory government. The man's a c***; forget what degree he did, focus on the aforementioned substance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    [SIZE="4"][SIZE="3"]Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University and was active in the student theatre[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"][SIZE="4"]Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE="6"]
    [SIZE="5"]Clegg studied Social Anthropology[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE="7"]Social Anthropology[/SIZE]

This is why our country is in bad shape, surely what did you expect from someone who did a micky mouse degree.
    AT CAMBRIDGE, ONE OF THE TOP UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD. Anyways what does that have to do with his competence as Deputy PM? Okay, most MPs did the prestigious PPE degree, but Thatcher did Chemistry, Tony Blair did Law, Brown read History and Major didn't go at all!

ReputationRep:
    I would've loved to study anthropology :daydreaming:
    Didn't take any arts a levels though.
    Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    I read in a sociological theory book this week that "the only think worse than a society run by sociologists would be society run by philosophers and lawyers". However, sociology isn't unsuitable for a role in government - it covers areas such as social policy, philosophy and politics. As others have pointed out though, social anthropology isn't sociology. It's a different discipline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Social Anthropology is a respectable subject. Moron OP.
    Its not a science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    I would've loved to study anthropology :daydreaming:
    Didn't take any arts a levels though.
    Ah well.
    And you make that sound like a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    Its not a science.
    Didn't we have this argument in your last thread? I remember you proved oddly quiet when you were proven wrong.

Want a hug?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Didn't we have this argument in your last thread? I remember you proved oddly quiet when you were proven wrong.

Want a hug?
    My point still stands

ReputationRep:
    My point still stands
    Not really, you were shown conclusively in that last thread that Social Sciences are sciences, just in a slightly different way to the Natural Sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Not really, you were shown conclusively in that last thread that Social Sciences are sciences, just in a slightly different way to the Natural Sciences.
    They are worse, imagine if Clegg did a physics degree. We'd be ****ing time traveling and ****

ReputationRep:
    The reason why our country is in bad shape, is because it is filled with silly people like you. mickey mouse degree...what a tool.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a science.
    And therefore is immoral.
    Well done, comrade OP. Your report could topple this regime.

ReputationRep:
    They are worse, imagine if Clegg did a physics degree. We'd be ****ing time traveling and ****
    What? Didn't you ever read Calvin and Hobbes?! All you need is a box and you can time travel:

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I would much rather have someone who studied Anthropology at the head of the government (I know he isn't the head, but he is at the top) than someone who studied physics (I used physics as a particular example for the opposite of a mickey mouse degree, and not maths, or engineering because Germany's chancellor holds a PhD in Physics).

This is taken of wikipedia, but anthropology studies humans - "How do humans behave?", "Why are there variations and differences among different groups of humans?", "How has the evolutionary past of Homo sapiens influenced its social organization and culture?"

Personally, I think someone who knows a little about humans rather than about electromagnetic forces or whatever, is more suited to lead humans.

Just my $0.02, although I may add that I think Clegg is a **** right now. But that has nothing to do with OP's argument, and people should look beyond their personal dislikes for the guy.

ps also, I do not think anthropology is a mickey mouse degree, but that is another issue.

ReputationRep:
    UK's real problem: Stupid threads like this.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you've taken into account the fact that Nick Clegg's main responsibilities are to make David Cameron's tea and tidy up after meetings.

ReputationRep:
    Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University and was active in the student theatre

Clegg studied Social Anthropology at Cambridge University

Clegg studied Social Anthropology

Social Anthropology

This is why our country is in bad shape, surely what did you expect from someone who did a micky mouse degree.
    You hurt me there Ms Coffey, you hurt me deeply.
    I want to study social anthropology -_-
    First of all- anthropology is not sociology
    Second- Anthropology is not a mickey mouse course.
    Third- I agree Clegg, is a douche

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Actually, I would much rather have someone who studied Anthropology at the head of the government (I know he isn't the head, but he is at the top) than someone who studied physics (I used physics as a particular example for the opposite of a mickey mouse degree, and not maths, or engineering because Germany's chancellor holds a PhD in Physics).

This is taken of wikipedia, but anthropology studies humans - "How do humans behave?", "Why are there variations and differences among different groups of humans?", "How has the evolutionary past of Homo sapiens influenced its social organization and culture?"

Personally, I think someone who knows a little about humans rather than about electromagnetic forces or whatever, is more suited to lead humans.

Just my $0.02, although I may add that I think Clegg is a **** right now. But that has nothing to do with OP's argument, and people should look beyond their personal dislikes for the guy.

ps also, I do not think anthropology is a mickey mouse degree, but that is another issue.
    What's wrong with Merkel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    What's wrong with Merkel?
    The same thing as with most leaders.

But the point was that she did what OP would surely call a proper, hard core degree. And yet she is not an amazing leader. So clearly OP's argument that the country is in this state because of the nature of the leaders degree is wrong. Not to mention that Clegg came into power after the country was already in this state.

ReputationRep:
    Pshh, Anthropology is not Sociology! And not a mickey mouse subject!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.