The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, like Alan Carr, can't stand the bloody man.
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Acting camp likely stems from the same "genetic" cause of their attraction to men, it's all part of them being generally feminised.

I'm gay.
So is my boyfriend.

I've been gay for 2 years. Not once have I been asked if I am. Why? I don't speak like a women/dress like a drag queen. Being gay doesn't define me.

He's been gay for 5 years (he's 23... he didn't turn at like 12 lol) and people refuse to believe him when he tells them he's gay.

Clearly you're stuck in the past/narrow minded.
Your opinion.... she is void.
Original post by Norfolkadam
It's still chuffing annoying though. I mean, I'm gay, and it really, really gets on my tits. I wouldn't go up to a camp guy and tell him this to his face but I don't have any camp friends nor would I ever have a camp partner because they annoy me so much. Similarly I don't go to gay bars because they're full of raging homo. Sadly, I'm just a normal guy with a sexual preference for men over women which means it can be hard to find similarly normal gay men.

+1 -_-
Reply 23
Original post by moqo
Whoa, I reckon being gay, you should show more tolerance for others...:cool: Saying such things makes you seem to be somewhat hypocritical :s-smilie: And what about trannies? Do you also find them repulsive?

It is so sad that people who struggle with intolerance are intolerant themselves....

Btw, I'M GAY

I hope thats not you being intolerant of intolerance? :colonhash:

jks.
Original post by moqo
I ain't camp but I don't mind guys who have such manner. It's kind of funny and colourful... :P Well some people might find it hard to put up with all those pansies, but personally, I am so positive person that I enjoy mingling with them. :smile:

Why are some guys camp? Maybe they find it fun? Or maybe they treat it as a means to define themselves (no matter how shallow it may sound)?... Well, you can also ask why punks are punks and why some gay girls are butch and others are lipstick ones?

:lolwut:
That's massively different; there you're taking a whole "scene/stereotype" and applying it to each and every individual of said "scene/stereotype" as if they didn't have personalities of their own.
The whole "camp" thing is an aspect of a personality, it's not a stereotype that you can judge all gay people by. :tongue:
Original post by Revd. Mike
He never said they shouldn't be permitted to be camp, he just said it's annoying. Just like people who have very loud personal phone calls next to me on the bus are annoying, or slipping over in the snow is annoying. Calm yourself down there 'love'.

Aahah, couldn't have said it better myself.
It's my opinion, I didn't say they shouldn't express themselves in that manor, just that it's not to my liking.
I love them camper than a row of tents. :awesome:

How could you find them annoying?
Tbh I don't think they do it on purpose..... I always thought it was like hormonal imbalances... but I don't know
Original post by OceanInTheSky
So? If they find me annoying that's fine...They're still annoying though.

I think we need to define 'camp'. As I am a part of 'they'. You probably couldn't care less whether or not I feel offended, but in presuming that you're a civilised intellect, I think it should be defined.

Please don't misunderstand. I am generally an outwardly happy person, and can occasionally exhibit stereotypically feminine traits, but I don't think this condones my being placed into a box and deemed 'camp'.

Someone above mentioned something along the lines of disliking those who place their sexuality at the forefront of their personality as it if it defined them. Well to be honest, in this world where gays are still massively discriminated against, I'm not surprised that people want to let others know immediately that they're gay - to avoid later disappointment. Although I do still agree with this. I personally never say "Hi my name's x and I'm gay. Now we can get onto the less important things about me/you"
Reply 29
Original post by super.teve
They bring the intolerance on themselves usually, making a show, being loud, prancing around urgh.

I do not struggle at all with intolerance, because I do not make my sexuality an issue, people know, I tell people, but I don't make it an issue.

Well, I was generalizing. I mean, I am surprised that many gay people are actually intolerant (racist, transphobic etc) cause where I live, you can actually and literally get ostracised for being gay.:frown: So yeah, I might possibly be oversensitive when it comes to the tolerance issue.:tongue:
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
Tbh I don't think they do it on purpose..... I always thought it was like hormonal imbalances... but I don't know

Speaking on behalf of myself; I personally don't do it on purpose. In my case you're completely right. However, I'm only one gay and so it's not really wholly representative.
Original post by coolblergh
'Camp' Gays probably find you ****ing 'annoying' too. People should be permitted to be themselves, and not have to worry about people like yourself finding their comportment to be not of YOUR liking. We (or speak for myself, more like: I) couldn't care less, sweetie. As I personally will persist to be camp as I cannot cease doing so. IT IS ME.

Live and let live, my friend.

Being camp is not being yourself. It's conforming to a stereotype.
I have always wondered this too.

I remember Alan Carr saying he never had to "come out", because he was so camp it was obvious. This implies that campness is just a natural trait... as for why it correlates so strongly to homosexuality... I don't know.

It's worth noting that some straight guys have kind of camp voices and mannerisms too. Just throwing that out there.
A boy I know:

Was really gay, so WORE FAKE TAN, WAS REALLY LOUD, ARGUED WITH PEOPLE ON THE STREET POINTLESSLY, WORE TONS OF ORANGE FOUNDATION and so on.

Two weeks later, he wanted to be "straight",

so for three months he had a girl friend, changed the way he spoke, changed his fashion sense, acted differently and so on.

IS THIS NOT EXAMPLE OF IT BEING PUT ON?
He went from being polar opposites in a day, and then back to the same typical gay three months later. It has to be, for most people, a show.
Reply 34
My biological knowledge isn't too hot, but I had a theory about it. As you know, "camp" behaviour tends to be effeminate, and gay men obviously crave sexual relations with other men.

It seems to me like it's female behavioural characteristics and sexual tendencies/preferences, trapped inside a male body somehow. Possibly hormonal, I don't know. This may also explain why girls love camp boys so much; exhibiting a female "aura" means girls subconsciously feel more comfortable? Feck knows... I'm not afraid to admit that I'm absolutely no expert on this subject whatsoever.

If this is true, it might also explain the stereotypical short-haired, butch lesbians that you often see - reverse the roles, and you get a female body with male behavioural characteristics and sexual tendencies/preferences.

I think it's an interesting observation, although I think if this were actually the case it would have been proven unequivocally by professional researchers and scientists years ago.

There are, obviously, camp men that are 100% straight and also butch, short-haired women that are 100% straight so this doesn't feel like real proof.
(edited 13 years ago)
Aahah, couldn't have said it better myself.
It's my opinion, I didn't say they shouldn't express themselves in that manor, just that it's not to my liking.

I apologise. Reading over my post, I realise that I was a tad over-zealous, and assumptive! However, not to be funny, but I reckon maybe we gays should be more supportive of each other; considering we're still discriminated against. There are a lot of self-loathing gays around for the simple fact that people like yourself are negative towards them from within the gay community.

What do you think?
A boy I know:

Was really gay, so WORE FAKE TAN, WAS REALLY LOUD, ARGUED WITH PEOPLE ON THE STREET POINTLESSLY, WORE TONS OF ORANGE FOUNDATION and so on.

Two weeks later, he wanted to be "straight",

so for three months he had a girl friend, changed the way he spoke, changed his fashion sense, acted differently and so on.

IS THIS NOT EXAMPLE OF IT BEING PUT ON?
He went from being polar opposites in a day, and then back to the same typical gay three months later. It has to be, for most people, a show.

That is, indeed.
Original post by Blueflare
I have always wondered this too.

I remember Alan Carr saying he never had to "come out", because he was so camp it was obvious. This implies that campness is just a natural trait... as for why it correlates so strongly to homosexuality... I don't know.

It's worth noting that some straight guys have kind of camp voices and mannerisms too. Just throwing that out there.

Very, very good point!
Original post by Anonymous-
Being camp is not being yourself. It's conforming to a stereotype.

mhm. but the stereotype has to originate from somewhere?
I think that's actually a really blunt way of looking at it, tbh.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by coolblergh
I apologise. Reading over my post, I realise that I was a tad over-zealous, and assumptive! However, not to be funny, but I reckon maybe we gays should be more supportive of each other; considering we're still discriminated against. There are a lot of self-loathing gays around for the simple fact that people like yourself are negative towards them from within the gay community.

What do you think?

No, I agree.
But, there is no collective gay subconsciousness, biological connection or even physical likening, so I see any support as support provided through empathy and sympathy if any person so desires.
I really hate the use of "the gay community" because it just reinforces contempt and societal divide.
I'll help or support someone on personal merit, not on the basis of sexuality.

But yea, idk LOL

I just think that just because two people are gay, does not mean they should inherently help each other.

Latest

Trending

Trending