Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completely suggest one. Although I am on my third... while amazon will replace them pretty much no matter what and they are fantastic at customer service. A word of warning... they don't like it when you step on them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well, that and the actual book... I mean, it isn't just the smell, is it?:erm: The fact that books have a particular weight, a particular format and a particular kind of binding is part of what defines them as books, and there's just no way an e-book reader will be able to emulate that for all books. I'll take your word for it that once you've got used to it, it feels like a book, but I can't really see how it could go any further than that in simulating the physical aspect of reading. I mean, an e-book reader can't feel like a B-format paperback with very crisp pages one minute and a battered little leatherbound octavo with pages that feel quite brittle the next. So you do lose something, no?:dontknow:
    Although, in my defence, the smell thing was intentional hyperbole, I take your point. At least physically, the Kindle is very different to a book. But what is argued (not necessarily by you) is that because it is different, it is less worthy. Even if they are both 'books' as we know them, sheets of paper within covers, isn't the B-format paperback also physically different to the leatherbound octavo? Wouldn't it be better to see the e-book reader as just another format? One which is cool to the touch, responsive. None of them can shapeshift, and none of them are necessarily better than the other. The Kindle will never replace real books entirely, for me, but I can say I don't really mind one or the other. They each have their charms and each provide a different reading experience. I agree it's sad that you feel none of the book's history when you use the kindle, and perhaps that is one intimacy lost, but surely the message of the book or poem or article, that doesn't change. Unless you're reading letters, then I'd want the real deal Otherwise, though, nothing changes in terms of content, just the packaging. Overall, I'd say it's not really a loss, just a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allyelfin)
    [...] I agree it's sad that you feel none of the book's history when you use the kindle, and perhaps that is one intimacy lost, but surely the message of the book or poem or article, that doesn't change. Unless you're reading letters, then I'd want the real deal Otherwise, though, nothing changes in terms of content, just the packaging. Overall, I'd say it's not really a loss, just a difference
    Up until the paperback revolution the packaging (as you call it) influenced the reading experience so it is not just about a difference; you are losing the context in which the text was originally published - it was never about the content itself, so speak. For example, an inexpensive pamphlet in the nineteenth century was inexpensive for a reason; its packaging was meant to keep costs down, because the content (a political or religious treatise, for example) required as much. I am not too sentimental about all this stuff myself, but I do not think you quite understood the point hobnob was making, and I hope my examples make it a little clearer.

I do not think either the article or poem examples are good; if you are a literature student you are almost certainly going to print them off to make notes anyway, thus making the 'Kindle redundant. The only occasion I see where the Kindle is useful is travelling, particularly when you are only allowed to carry so much hand-luggage with you (on a coach or plane, for instance).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I am not too sentimental about all this stuff myself, but I do not think you quite understood the point hobnob was making, and I hope my examples make it a little clearer.
    Misinterpreting or being misunderstood is something I've always been wary of on the internet, so I apologise if that is what I did (hobnob). I confess I didn't know before about what you said, evantej, but I did find it interesting, so thank you. I think, however, and not as an excuse, that the difference lies in the fact that I am only just a to-be-undergrad, and you are (?) a fully fledged postgrad. I feel that in light of that, and the fact that rather than arguing with hobnob (heaven forbid :P) I was simply offering an opinion based on my own experience with the kindle, I can be forgiven for any ignorance (past or ongoing). After all, opinions are not known for being mired in research or fact .
    On my part, I have grown adequately adept at the little keyboard to make notes on texts both in class and in my own time(and the inbuilt dictionary feature is useful too), and get a good deal of reading done besides. However, I can see that it might not be able to make that transition into what will be infinitely harder work in larger quantities. I also realise that by not being a 'second year English lit student' I have kinda sorta made my posts redundant to the OP, but I confess, when I saw the words 'books', 'English Lit' and 'Kindle', I just couldn't resist haha. Still, you have easily made me feel about two inches tall Which is okay because that wasn't your aim, I know. Despite now going to dig myself a very large hole, I still stand by, for me now, the awesomeness that is the Kindle. Sorry, OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allyelfin)
    Misinterpreting or being misunderstood is something I've always been wary of on the internet, so I apologise if that is what I did (hobnob). I confess I didn't know before about what you said, evantej, but I did find it interesting, so thank you. I think, however, and not as an excuse, that the difference lies in the fact that I am only just a to-be-undergrad, and you are (?) a fully fledged postgrad. I feel that in light of that, and the fact that rather than arguing with hobnob (heaven forbid :P) I was simply offering an opinion based on my own experience with the kindle, I can be forgiven for any ignorance (past or ongoing). After all, opinions are not known for being mired in research or fact .
    On my part, I have grown adequately adept at the little keyboard to make notes on texts both in class and in my own time(and the inbuilt dictionary feature is useful too), and get a good deal of reading done besides. However, I can see that it might not be able to make that transition into what will be infinitely harder work in larger quantities. I also realise that by not being a 'second year English lit student' I have kinda sorta made my posts redundant to the OP, but I confess, when I saw the words 'books', 'English Lit' and 'Kindle', I just couldn't resist haha. Still, you have easily made me feel about two inches tall Which is okay because that wasn't your aim, I know. Despite now going to dig myself a very large hole, I still stand by, for me now, the awesomeness that is the Kindle. Sorry, OP!
    Your self-depreciation is cute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Your self-depreciation is cute!
    Haha thank you :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    I turn my laptop sideways, open a PDF, hit (CTRL + L), then (CTRL+SHIFT + =), and hey presto, I've got myself a Kindle.
    Genius!:rolleyes:

I have a ipod as well, I sometimes read on that sideways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.