Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I worked for an organisation using Windows 98SE and IE5 a short time ago. You know you're using outdated technology when Dr. Watson crashes.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who has ever had to do any web development will absolutely hate IE.

(Original post by py0alb)
    Wow, what a completely unbiased source :rolleyes:

Dude, I have google chrome and firefox. Nothing works on them. Web pages won't load, flash freezes, videos fail. With ie, everything works first time of asking. Plus, they're a huge security hazard. It's not merely coincidental that almost every major company on the planet specifically bans their users from downloading google chrome.
    Please god I hope you are being sarcastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Anyone who has ever had to do any web development will absolutely hate IE.

Please god I hope you are being sarcastic.
    Nope. the reason I am using IE right now is not because I prefer it, it's because all other browsers are banned in my company because they're a huge security risk. Computer scientists far more accomplished than you have made this decision, not me.

A far fairer test for the "most functional browser" for the general public would be to get a brand new windows machine, download the various browsers, and ask an unskilled user to perform a variety of tasks on each one, including visiting a variety of old and new websites, use a few forums, watch a few videos, play a few flash games. You and I both know which one would give him the least trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Firefox is the best. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. the reason I am using IE right now is not because I prefer it, it's because all other browsers are banned in my company because they're a huge security risk. Computer scientists far more accomplished than you have made this decision, not me.

A far fairer test for the "most functional browser" for the general public would be to get a brand new windows machine, download the various browsers, and ask an unskilled user to perform a variety of tasks on each one, including visiting a variety of old and new websites, use a few forums, watch a few videos, play a few flash games. You and I both know which one would give him the least trouble.
    The reason why other browsers are banned in companies is not because they are a security risk. They are not. The reason is because in most places people are banned from installing ANY other application.

In my experience, IE would get you the most problems. if you seriously think IE is better then you are deluded.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why other browsers are banned in companies is not because they are a security risk. They are not. The reason is because in most places people are banned from installing ANY other application.

In my experience, IE would get you the most problems. if you seriously think IE is better then you are deluded.
    Ah right, so when discussing it with them they were actually lying to me, and I should trust you instead because you know better than the professionals who have worked in the field for 20 years. Is that right? I'm surprised you haven't already been headhunted as you must be the best computer scientist in the world. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you didn't answer my question: which browser would give the least technical issues to a complete noob using a windows machine?

ReputationRep:

Dude, I have google chrome and firefox. Nothing works on them. Web pages won't load, flash freezes, videos fail. With ie, everything works first time of asking. Plus, they're a huge security hazard. It's not merely coincidental that almost every major company on the planet specifically bans their users from downloading google chrome.
    Except that, i agree with the rest!

ReputationRep:
    Ah right, so when discussing it with them they were actually lying to me, and I should trust you instead because you know better than the professionals who have worked in the field for 20 years. Is that right? I'm surprised you haven't already been headhunted as you must be the best computer scientist in the world. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you didn't answer my question: which browser would give the least technical issues to a complete noob using a windows machine?
    Perhaps if you actually give me some evidence of professionals saying IE is better then I may be inclined to believe you.

And as for your question, I'd say Chrome would be easier. Simply because someone won't have to install Flash (as it comes with its own internal version of flash). If you want to take that out of the equation, then I'd say all of the browsers would be very much the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    They've got us using IE7 in one of the labs at college, and it's really, really awful. I can't believe that people ever used it, or that MS even released it - it took the best part of a minute to load this page!

People need to get a real browser.
    Try IE9, beats the competition.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps if you actually give me some evidence of professionals saying IE is better then I may be inclined to believe you.

And as for your question, I'd say Chrome would be easier. Simply because someone won't have to install Flash (as it comes with its own internal version of flash). If you want to take that out of the equation, then I'd say all of the browsers would be very much the same.
    evidence? This is TSR, not the criminal justice system. I can hardly cut and paste emails can I, there's a little thing called confidentiality. If you don't believe me, I don't really care, but i have no reason to lie, its not like Microsoft are paying me to defend their mediocre browser (I wish).

In my experience, firefox is rubbish in windows, but good on linux (although it still takes a lot of fiddling) google chrome is a good product but also takes a bit of time to sort out the settings, but if all you want to do is basic stuff (ie 95% of the population) then IE is the most user friendly option for those who know nothing about computers. Have only used a mac a handful of times, but safari was slow as **** and kept crashing. Haven't used opera, have never really seen the need.

ReputationRep:

This is fail, IE infact has had some MASSIVE security holes in it that have been well publicised.

The reason Company's limit users too IE is two fold.

1.) they ban users from installing other software (this is to prevent virus installations)
    2.) There internal networks run outdated intranets which only render correctly in IE7

*EDIT*

Chrome for me, No set up involved just install and go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mprules)
    This is fail, IE infact has had some MASSIVE security holes in it that have been well publicised.

1.) they ban users from installing other software (this is to prevent virus installations)
    2.) There internal networks run outdated intranets which only render correctly in IE7
    Right, so you're a professional computer scientist in charge of the IT systems for a large software development company as well are you? We seem to have a lot of you guys on TSR today.

1) is clearly wrong as we're not banned from downloading stuff at all. 2) also doesn't apply here. So go think again. Or, even better, admit that you don't actually know what you're talking about and you just got your opinions from a tech forum/newspaper/whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so you're a professional computer scientist in charge of the IT systems for a large software development company as well are you? We seem to have a lot of you guys on TSR today.

1) is clearly wrong as we're not banned from downloading stuff at all. 2) also doesn't apply here. So go think again. Or, even better, admit that you don't actually know what you're talking about and you just got your opinions from a tech forum/newspaper/whatever.
    Yes because my Opinions/WelshBluebird's are so much less valid than yours?

Are you a professional computer scientist in charge of the IT systems for a large software development company?

If so you will have no problems listing to me the Security flaws with Chrome.

Are you even a developer or are you taking your Sysadmins word as law?

ReputationRep:
    My IE seems to work better than my firefox for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because my Opinions/WelshBluebird's are so much less valid than yours?

Are you a professional computer scientist in charge of the IT systems for a large software development company?

If so you will have no problems listing to me the Security flaws with Chrome.

Are you even a developer or are you taking your Sysadmins word as law?
    It's not that your opinions are less valid than mine, per se, it's because they are (in my opinion) less valid than the guys I work with day in, day out, who have PhDs and 20 years experience, whose opinions I am passing on.

Yes I am a developer. No I am not in charge of the IT systems. I would be on 200 grand a year if I was, and probably wouldn't be wasting time arguing with comp sci students on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    They've got us using IE7 in one of the labs at college, and it's really, really awful. I can't believe that people ever used it, or that MS even released it - it took the best part of a minute to load this page!

People need to get a real browser.
    We know </thread>

I suspect that it's this combined with it being easy to push settings via domain policies.

ReputationRep:

Your point? It's not like other reviews show different results. I haven't found a single survey that puts IE on top, perhaps one exists who knows :indiff:

Well I don't know why you're having these problems, but would guess you're exaggerating a great deal - "Nothing works" :facepalm2: IE is a huge security hazard, it has far more vulnerabilities than other browsers.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that your opinions are less valid than mine, per se, it's because they are (in my opinion) less valid than the guys I work with day in, day out, who have PhDs and 20 years experience, whose opinions I am passing on.

Yes I am a developer. No I am not in charge of the IT systems. I would be on 200 grand a year if I was, and probably wouldn't be wasting time arguing with comp sci students on TSR.
    See this has touched somewhat of a nerve with me, as in my previous job ( i also graduated some time ago) i worked with a team in creating a webkit spin off for a custom browser, so security was a large part of my job at the time. Ill be perfectly honest our spinoff was less secure than all the mainstream browsers with out a doubt but i have done my research in this field.

Perhaps your company has some form of security issue i am not aware of which is very possible if not probable but even in my short stint in MS a few years ago i was installing ffox without complaints by any admins!

ReputationRep:
    I've used a whole range of browsers, and IE seems no less functional than the rest to me. It's just some weird anti Microsoft elitism.
    No it's not my friend. IE - no matter which version - takes a whole lot of time more to load than, for example, Chrome. I'd never switch back to IE at this point, it proved to be so unreliable to me. I run it only when I need to view a website that doesn't work properly in other browsers.

ReputationRep:
    Told the uni IS dept about the constant crashing problems I was having with IE on their machines - they said 'Meh we've all downloaded firefox onto our PCs'

lazy buggers would get fired in the private sector.

I'd be happy to use it if it worked properly but that seems to mean IE plus constant patches (that users can't do for themselves on institution PC's and the IS dept can't quite tear themselves away from firefox for) or something that works properly in the first place.

FWIW My personal PC is slow and old - chrome gobbles less memory and loads pages fastest for me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.