Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the government provide EVERYONE with a winter survival kit? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Great. More evidence for how the people in the UK are getting weaker and weaker with each generation.

I hardly see the need to provide everyone in the UK with a blow torch. Do they even have schemes like this in far colder countries like Canada?
    Blow torch will melt ice. However this can be removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Blow torch will melt ice. However this can be removed.
    Seems like just another excuse to raise taxes. If you want these things, get it yerself yea cheapscapes. :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    It's £1 per month for a number of years. Yes, 250kg is a lot but grit is used daily during bad weather.
    Do you know approximately how much 250kg of grit would cost? And how heavy it would be? It's a lot of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Facemask
    This is western Europe, we don't get arctic winds, your extremeties will not fall off from frostbite on the way to buy milk.

Woolly Hate
    Is that an angry sheep or something?

Blowtorch
    Presumably in case this snow necessitates some amateur metalwork.

goggles
    These are to go over the facemask, right?

a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway
    Brilliant. My driveway shall be 5 parts gravel to 1 part salt.

this has made my day lol

ReputationRep:
    LMAO no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    Seems like just another excuse to raise taxes. If you want these things, get it yerself yea cheapscapes. :shakecane:
    Very well. I said this is OPTIONAL.

(Original post by M_E_X)
    Do you know approximately how much 250kg of grit would cost? And how heavy it would be? It's a lot of salt.
    Tis a lot. Probably should lower it a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlottie93)
    this has made my day lol
    Easily pleased then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    LMAO no.
    Bubbles and squeaks, very blunt answer. Why do you disagree?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I could do with the blow torch and flask (a good flask, mine doesn't keep things warm for even 3 hours, smells no matter how much you wash it or disinfect it and doesn't pour well) but then again its not really extreme weather so I don't think we really need to be supplied with some of that especially the blow torch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabers)
    Oooh, I could do with the blow torch and flask (a good flask, mine doesn't keep things warm for even 3 hours, smells no matter how much you wash it or disinfect it and doesn't pour well) but then again its not really extreme weather so I don't think we really need to be supplied with some of that especially the blow torch.
    Granted, a lot of it will be pointless to some. But I think stuff like the long johns, thermals etc would be of use.

ReputationRep:
    Bubbles and squeaks, very blunt answer. Why do you disagree?
    if people want that stuff they should go buy it.
    not everyone needs it.. yes theres some snow, but in the most part its not that bad.
    Theres snow where i live and im currently not at sixth form.. but its open and i defenitly wouldn't need a blow torch and face mask to get there

ReputationRep:
    You're missing snow shoes. I could have done with those yesterday when I went out in shoes with no grip on the soles. They would be a lot more useful that a blowtorch. I haven't got a job though, so I guess I'd have to manage without.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Scroungers get nothing I'm afraid.
    Youve been reading too much Daily Mail - what about the elderly the vulnerable, children, mentally and bodily disabled, those in hospitals on long term care and those who have been made redundant who are looking for a job.

I like how you want to provide survival kits to those who are the least likely to need it,

will you advocate leaving deformed babies on hillsides next?

And anyway no we dont need them this is hardly Siberia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    You're missing snow shoes. I could have done with those yesterday when I went out in shoes with no grip on the soles. They would be a lot more useful that a blowtorch. I haven't got a job though, so I guess I'd have to manage without.
    I put down boots. Surely that would be better?

ReputationRep:
    No, they don't have enough money to go around as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Wellies!!
    it should be wellies

ReputationRep:
    I'll use the shovel to bury you and your retarded idea if you want?

ReputationRep:
    No you didn't? Unless I really can't read. I checked twice. But I thought the point of this was to be as ridiculous as possible? You don't fall into the snow as much with snow shoes - I've seen people wear them on ski slopes. I think they would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    I'll use the shovel to bury you and your retarded idea if you want?
    Whoa, chill out Papasmurf. Isn't it against the laws of Smurfdom to insult?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    No you didn't? Unless I really can't read. I checked twice. But I thought the point of this was to be as ridiculous as possible? You don't fall into the snow as much with snow shoes - I've seen people wear them on ski slopes. I think they would be better.
    Whoops, my bad. Edited.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.