Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If the Police went on strike during a big protest... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Um...the police must value their proffesional responsibilitys over their own opinions.
    However hypothetically......
    The Mod police NOT military would come and lock it down,other district police from the home office would be sent in and regardless of wether the protest is violent it would be
    dispersed.Officers caught disobeying their orders would be investigated by the IPCC. Muhahahahahahahaha reality comes crashing down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    While they aren't allowed to strike if they were, that is exactly what would happen.

Don't understand why you got negged, but I totally agree with you.
    If that's the case then why do the police bother turning up in the first place? I doubt it's because they look forward to a few hours knocking some sense into angry protesters.

ReputationRep:
    It would not happen in a million years. But if it did the army would probably be involved. We might kettle them perhaps??? :shrug:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJonny)
    It would not happen in a million years. But if it did the army would probably be involved. We might kettle them perhaps??? :shrug:
    I imagine the army would put down a protest much harder than the police do. Think kettling is bad? Try tear gas and water cannons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I imagine the army would put down a protest much harder than the police do. Think kettling is bad? Try tear gas and water cannons
    I know the Police are quite brutish. I have to say some do a fine job sometimes but there are either some real horrible and real crappy police officers out there. I have not had experiencing of kettling and hope I don't but some of the cops can be nasty.....Like the one in the paper who beat a woman till she was bloody and the one who sprayed halon in a guy's face. They still get away with it.

POLICE REFORM PLEASE IF ANY OTHER USELESS GOVT MINISTERS COME ON TSR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yes the Army would be mucccch worse
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I know the Police are quite brutish. I have to say some do a fine job sometimes but there are either some real horrible and real crappy police officers out there. I have not had experiencing of kettling and hope I don't but some of the cops can be nasty.....Like the one in the paper who beat a woman till she was bloody and the one who sprayed halon in a guy's face. They still get away with it.

POLICE REFORM PLEASE IF ANY OTHER USELESS GOVT MINISTERS COME ON TSR
    Problem is the problem is not actually with the police but with the fact that its a massive orginseation and in some cases pricks get attracted to it. Majority of polie will be decent people but you will always find that minority not really sure what you could do to change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Problem is the problem is not actually with the police but with the fact that its a massive orginseation and in some cases pricks get attracted to it. Majority of polie will be decent people but you will always find that minority not really sure what you could do to change it.
    You're right..... It's like I was having a normal convo with a girl on the bus and we were exchanging jokes etc.... I said "Oh **** Off" in a BLATANTLY jocular fashion and this random guy approaches me and says "Oi you!" I said "What" Because what random guy approaches you on the bus saying "Oi you!" (I thought it quite strange at the time) He then tells me he is a police officer and I need to give him my name and what school I go to.

At the time I didn't know that I am not obliged to give him my name. But unaware of this I did. He contacted my school and I were suspended for 4 days by the school for ..... (and get this) I quote the words of the headteacher in the letter "breaching the peace in a public area , possibly causing alarm and distress" It's like ..... What the hell is this crap that she disgraces our letterbox with.????

Only to find out he was Off duty and that means I doubly don't have to give him any details.

The Police's worst enemy is a civillian that knows the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    You say police aren't allowed to strike, but what if they did? I'm not allowed to skip work, but if enough people do it my boss can't touch me. If all the police (or enough of them) went on strike, the government's hardly going to fire all of them and try to train up that many people again in a week.
    Special and reserve police would be called in, the ring-leaders would be imprisoned and decent people would volunteer as auxiliaries as they have during times of crisis in the past.

In reality, a shortage of police in one region would just be dealt with by drafting in police from other territorial constabularies and the national ones like the MOD Police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    If that's the case then why do the police bother turning up in the first place? I doubt it's because they look forward to a few hours knocking some sense into angry protesters.
    Errm...to get paid?

They are afraid of something that wouldn't happen if they weren't there. Chaos.
    Try join a protest, you will see the only thing that motivates the students to run around London is the police lol, otherwise it would be pretty boring.

ReputationRep:
    Retard, they can't go on strike.,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Parliament getting attacked... Millbank getting attacked again, some mindless protestors attacking just about anything around them cos they're just bored

But the army coming instead, the TA?
    Looking at the way some of the protesters behave during the demos I think there would be a lot more damage done to buildings and shops and maybe people. Large numbers of people if not policed properly can stampede like they did in Germany trying to get into a rock concert and lots of kids could die. The guy who threw the fire extinguisher could just have easily hit a protester as a policeman. Also the fires set in the Millbank building could easily get out of control and kill someone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the Army would be mucccch worse
    Thats what the French like to do to their student protesters, did you see how they beat the **** out of them during the strike over adding two years on to the retirement age, like that's a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
    Thats what the French like to do to their student protesters, did you see how they beat the **** out of them during the strike over adding two years on to the retirement age, like that's a big deal.
    Do you mean the genarmes the military civil police. They have a dedicated riot unit that will seriously mess y'all up so much so I forgot their name Lulz.To be fair the French students were blowing up cars.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.