Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how homophobic is it where you are Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a-lot of homosexuals where I live, but I saw a few the other day. One guy was strutting down the road with his handbag and some other guy was holding his cigarette "like this" and I was like :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I thought that my town was not homophobic at all, until plans for a gay cafe were proposed, all hell broke loose.
    So yeah my town is pretty homophobic.

Inverness, Scotland
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    From Surrey. Other than the odd remark I have never really seen any full on homophobia. Then again I do not know anyone who is gay tbh

ReputationRep:
    some homophobia in my area.... but quite liberal... i have two friends who are gay and people in my school know that they are and they seem okay with it...

ReputationRep:
    Last week in my R.E class, in my Christian school, a boy shouted out 'kill all gays' in response to a conversation we were having. The teacher did nothing but smirked, others nodded in agreement.

Needless to say, I was shocked...

But then, I do go to a ****ty school with Christians who advocate the murdering of others.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say there's not a lot in my area. (St Andrews, Fife)
    But tbh, I think it's more the way you're brought up rather than where you're from - but location probably contributes a bit....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I thought that my town was not homophobic at all, until plans for a gay cafe were proposed, all hell broke loose.
    So yeah my town is pretty homophobic.

Inverness, Scotland
    depnds.like if everyone was against it.
    or if younger didnt mind and it was just older people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgold17)
    depnds.like if everyone was against it.
    or if younger didnt mind and it was just older people
    Everyone over the age of 21

ReputationRep:
    Not very homophobic at all (Cambridge).
    Most of my male friends are gay. No-one bats an eyelid, and I've never heard anyone say anything to them.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone over the age of 21
    bit werid i have a gay mate in iverness andhe says its not homophobic lol arwell

ReputationRep:
    bit werid i have a gay mate in iverness andhe says its not homophobic lol arwell
    Well, yeah, it kinda is. You have a friend in Inverness? How random

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah, it kinda is. You have a friend in Inverness? How random
    lol yes it is random.do you mean it is kinda not homophobic or it is kinda homophobic.lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    In my bedroom? Yeah, pretty homophobic in here. Though in every day life, not at all.

ReputationRep:
    hardly any homophobia, Torquay, Devon, England.

I say that because you see gay couples around town and no one really cares. It was having some gay parade thing not long ago, and is trying to become the gay capital for some reason. I always thought Torquay was too **** to hold anything like that but hey.

ReputationRep:
    Very rarely any homophobia and there's openly gay people and even transvestites walking round occasionally. The people who have lived here for a while don't really care but there's always the odd tourist looking puzzled. (Brighton)

ReputationRep:
    lol yes it is random.do you mean it is kinda not homophobic or it is kinda homophobic.lol
    Yeah it is. Imo anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    In my bedroom? Yeah, pretty homophobic in here. Though in every day life, not at all.
    what do you mean lol

ReputationRep:
    Not very. I live in a Conservative stronghold, however the majority of the population here are middle class and church attendance isn't exactly through the roof (I'm not saying that religion = homophobia, though obviously). I imagine that the older generations round here are more homophobic than average, but in terms of younger generations, probably less so.

ReputationRep:
    Not very homophobic at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    Last week in my R.E class, in my Christian school, a boy shouted out 'kill all gays' in response to a conversation we were having. The teacher did nothing but smirked, others nodded in agreement.

Needless to say, I was shocked...

But then, I do go to a ****ty school with Christians who advocate the murdering of others.
    I think the gif in your sig is extremely appropriate for that scenario...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.