Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a punishable offence?! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's fine if nobody is around. The first thing me and my Dad did when it snowed last year was go down to this abandoned barracks that has a big open square and he taught me how to drive on snow and ice, catching the skid, slide correction, and then we finished it off with some fun snow drifting.

So long as you know what you're doing/have someone there to teach you, it's fine.

Edit: Dad was military at the time so we weren't trespassing on army land. I live on a Camp when I'm not in Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    what would be REALLY funny, is if the big empty car park had security cameras
    Not really sure what your problem is tbh. Go take your whining about someone writing off your car somewhere else. Been driving a year now and never come close to a crash. Skidding around on some ice in an empty car park isn't dangerous. If it was, i wouldn't be doing it. Grow up and stop being such a killjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will come of it. When I went to the cinema earlier today there was a few people in cars using the carpark for sliding around in, the carpark security guard didn't particularly give a damn from the looks of things.

So long as you didn't damage anyone's property no one will care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilsea05)
    they don't have any signs up or anything either saying not to
    That made me laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure what your problem is tbh. Go take your whining about someone writing off your car somewhere else. Been driving a year now and never come close to a crash. Skidding around on some ice in an empty car park isn't dangerous. If it was, i wouldn't be doing it. Grow up and stop being such a killjoy.
    Not dangerous, but let's be honest, you weren't in proper control of your vehicle. (Yes... I know, you will argue you were, but you even admitted to hitting the kerb and even bending your back wheel).

I'm sure it's good fun and I'm fully aware that you weren't putting anyone's life at risk or even risking injury. So I hope nothing does come of this, because you don't deserve any form of punishment. But I still think what you did was pretty stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfox)
    Not dangerous, but let's be honest, you weren't in proper control of your vehicle. (Yes... I know, you will argue you were, but you even admitted to hitting the kerb and even bending your back wheel).

I'm sure it's good fun and I'm fully aware that you weren't putting anyone's life at risk or even risking injury. So I hope nothing does come of this, because you don't deserve any form of punishment. But I still think what you did was pretty stupid.
    Well it would be stupid to claim to have been in full control of the car, but that's what makes it fun, really? You can call it stupid if you like, but what more do you expect from a guy who's only just turning 18? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    If you then claim they 'stole' it then yes, if you said you let them drive allowing it to be driven without proper insurance or however the offence is worded.
    But saying someone stole the car is pointless as well. What are you going to say to the police, yeah my car was stolen but I didn't report it missing because the thief felt guilty and decided to bring it back!

ReputationRep:
    OMG a WHOLE YEAR?! jesus. . . sorry, I didn't realise it was that long... You're right, you really know what you're doing.

And yes. It is dangerous, calling me a 'killjoy' really doesn't change that fact.

It's people like you who cause insurance for men to be so high. Well done on screwing over your own gender

ReputationRep:
    Well it would be stupid to claim to have been in full control of the car, but that's what makes it fun, really? You can call it stupid if you like, but what more do you expect from a guy who's only just turning 18? :cool:
    ohh your only just turning 18 are you? well that changes everything, i thought you were 19. I think everyone here should apologise i mean come on he is only just turning 18

ReputationRep:
    OMG a WHOLE YEAR?! jesus. . . sorry, I didn't realise it was that long... You're right, you really know what you're doing.

And yes. It is dangerous, calling me a 'killjoy' really doesn't change that fact.

It's people like you who cause insurance for men to be so high. Well done on screwing over your own gender
    You take life far too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    You take life far too seriously.
    No, when it comes to using what is essentially a lethal weapon, I'm merely sensible.

Edit: I was taught to drive by a police man

ReputationRep:
    No, when it comes to using what is essentially a lethal weapon, I'm merely sensible.

Good for you - just don't whinge at people who are having a laugh because you're bitter about a bad experience. Fair play if you want to be sensible, some people enjoy doing things you might consider a risk - at the end of the day, noone got hurt. I don't believe in God but I don't go whinging at Catholics, nahwahimeen?

ReputationRep:

no it's not? it's the people that speed, crash and drive with void/no insurance that have caused the extortionate insurances prices for young males.

but you sound so sure of yourself. i'm sure insurance companies definately take note and incorporate people messing around in a safe environment without causing any (actual) damage into their insurance pricing.

ReputationRep:
    . at the end of the day, noone got hurt.
    a lot of people drink driving without hurting anyone...should that be legal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    a lot of people drink driving without hurting anyone...should that be legal?
    Obviously not, but that clearly wasn't the point I was making.

ReputationRep:

Em you are 100% right, I've seen "a bit of fun" become lethal, literally. So people this can kill. And sorry to the other guy after a year you are still a learner!

Good for you - just don't whinge at people who are having a laugh because you're bitter about a bad experience. Fair play if you want to be sensible, some people enjoy doing things you might consider a risk - at the end of the day, noone got hurt. I don't believe in God but I don't go whinging at Catholics, nahwahimeen?
    Yes I love a laugh. I track and rally drive and I may also enjoy the odd moment of madness like you do, not that I often drive like a ****. But I understand if I get caught I took the risk and I am totally in the wrong. The fact that he hit something shows there was a huge risk here. And that the op is not a good enough driver to have taken it as far as he did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Em you are 100% right, I've seen "a bit of fun" become lethal, literally. So people this can kill. And sorry to the other guy after a year you are still a learner!

Yes I love a laugh. I track and rally drive and I may also enjoy the odd moment of madness like you do, not that I often drive like a ****. But I understand if I get caught I took the risk and I am totally in the wrong. The fact that he hit something shows there was a huge risk here. And that the op is not a good enough driver to have taken it as far as he did.
    The curb wasn't properly visible, due to the snow

ReputationRep:
    This again proves the point that this was neither harmless nor were you in control. You hit something as you could not see.

ReputationRep:
    You kinda just proved his point. . . :|

ReputationRep:
    It's very hard to say without seeing the car park and the conditions you were in. This morning I took the Moggy down to Tescos car park on my way into college as it still had about 2 inches of snow on it, ungritted. Being rear wheel drive on skinny tyres I could hang the back end out for a good 20 or 30 meters. It was the most fun I've had at 5mph in a looooong time Going so slowly meant that I just had to take my foot off the gas for the rear tyres to bite and regain control. As others here have said, it can be fine but then again it can be very dangerous. Hand brake turns in a FWD car generally mean relatively high speeds, and that's when things can go wrong. The fact that you didn't have the area sussed out and missed the kerb, and then hit it, shows you didn't really take enough responsibility for what you wanted to do to make sure you did it safely.

I'm all for dicking around in a car park at low speeds because it improves your skills in the real world. You have to be responsible enough to do it safely, however. If you never find the limits, you never know where they are. Knowing the limits is something important when driving in snow and ice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.