Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Hello everyone, I'm hoping to study abroad next year as well and my choice of institutions are in my signature. Although some of you may be disappointed at this thread's lack of popularity, I'm somewhat pleased. For a lack of interest in studying abroad among other students increase my chances of being placed at my desired institution (Haverford College...please God!) However, I'm intelligent enough to know that TSR does not necessarily represent 'real life'. Still, one can hope and pray...
    When do you hear if you've got a place? And yeah...I really thought there'd be more of us doing a year abroad.

(Original post by Sam o0o)
    I've been offered a place at UoSydney for next year. I really don't have a clue what to do, all the info on semesters (they're year starts in feb?!) and actual classes is a little vague, and they want a decision by thursday!
    Ooh, that's awesome! Although it does sound confusing...can you go and talk to your uni's international office/the department who organises exchanges?

(Original post by WelshLily)
    I'll be spending the year in the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
    Congratulations You're so lucky you're going to an English speaking country...I'm facing the challenge of learning Danish I guess at least my classes will be in English.

I'll be spending the year in the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana
      Check my sig.

(Original post by >Anna<)
      When do you hear if you've got a place?
      After my exams, which I really should be revising for right now. :sad:

ReputationRep:
      Hey, I am currently studying at Copenhagen Business School and it is amazing! Don't try and think it is second to Vienna, Copenhagen rules! Also, don't worry about speaking Danish, they have an extremely high standard of living and education system, hence everyone can speak fluent English! There are so many things to see and do here and the Danes are absolutely beautiful, I am excited to go back for my second semester, made some great friends who are gutted they aren't returning with me!

ReputationRep:
      After my exams, which I really should be revising for right now. :sad:
      Go go go! :p:
      I understand though...I've done no work this holiday. 2 essays due in on Monday and I have 1,000 word plan and about 120 words of actual essay. Kill me now.

(Original post by s3735)
      Hey, I am currently studying at Copenhagen Business School and it is amazing! Don't try and think it is second to Vienna, Copenhagen rules! Also, don't worry about speaking Danish, they have an extremely high standard of living and education system, hence everyone can speak fluent English! There are so many things to see and do here and the Danes are absolutely beautiful, I am excited to go back for my second semester, made some great friends who are gutted they aren't returning with me!
      Ah, that's so great to know! I may have to quiz you about bank accounts and mobile networks etc, if you don't mind?
      I've heard that the Danes speak English very well, but I want to know at least a bit before I go out of courtesy.
      I think Scandinavians in general are quite :sexface: ...although I've heard relationships in Denmark are weird...guys don't approach girls and one night stands are really common?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
      Ooh, that's awesome! Although it does sound confusing...can you go and talk to your uni's international office/the department who organises exchanges?
      Yeah I'll send them an email today but they obviously won't get back until monday which is annoying! At the moment the cons seem to outweigh the pros (especially losing half of two summers to do other stuff) but everyone seems to think there's no question and I should just go.

ReputationRep:
      Hi,

My best friend is currently in the process of applying to study chemistry in spain. However, we've been trying to find information of funding/key dates etc. and are finding it impossible. So please could you reply with some useful information as her main worry atm is the fact she might not have any money.

ReputationRep:
      Congratulations You're so lucky you're going to an English speaking country...I'm facing the challenge of learning Danish I guess at least my classes will be in English.
      Thank you! Yes, that is one thing I am glad about. I originally wanted to study Spanish or French but was nervous at the idea of having to live in a country with a completely different language and culture as I am not massively confident. However you will still have a great time and although it will be really hard at first, it will force you to become immersed in the culture!

Check my sig.
      awesome do you get to decide where you go or are you placed? Illinois was my third choice in a list of 5.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by pink_cait)
      Hi,

My best friend is currently in the process of applying to study chemistry in spain. However, we've been trying to find information of funding/key dates etc. and are finding it impossible. So please could you reply with some useful information as her main worry atm is the fact she might not have any money.
      Is this to do a year abroad or the whole degree?

If it's an Erasmus year, which it would be if it's the year abroad as it's within Europe, then she's eligible for her normal student loan and there's also an Erasmus grant. The Erasmus grant is currently 225 Euros/month, but I think this changes slightly from year to year. You can find more information about Erasmus funding here. It's also worth noting that you don't pay tuition fees to your host institution, or to your home university if you go for the whole year, whilst on Erasmus

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sam o0o)
      Yeah I'll send them an email today but they obviously won't get back until monday which is annoying! At the moment the cons seem to outweigh the pros (especially losing half of two summers to do other stuff) but everyone seems to think there's no question and I should just go.
      Well, I'd say go with your heart; but if there's any chance you feel you'll regret not going then do it! It's a once in a life time opportunity (unless you plan to do multiple degrees) and it will look great on your CV. Plus everyone who does a year abroad seems to have an amazing time, and Oz seems like a great place to spend that time!

Thank you! Yes, that is one thing I am glad about. I originally wanted to study Spanish or French but was nervous at the idea of having to live in a country with a completely different language and culture as I am not massively confident. However you will still have a great time and although it will be really hard at first, it will force you to become immersed in the culture!

awesome do you get to decide where you go or are you placed? Illinois was my third choice in a list of 5.
      Copenhagen was 3rd on my list of 5 too, behind Vienna and Prague :p: I'm really warming to the idea of spending a year there though, after doing some research.

I'm not particularly confident either - I'm hoping this will force me to feel more independent and confident!

It's my second choice. I think I'll get placed after I receive my exam results. Just out of interest, what were your other choices?

Copenhagen was 3rd on my list of 5 too, behind Vienna and Prague I'm really warming to the idea of spending a year there though, after doing some research.
        And yours?

Spoiler:
        Show
        Sorry, but I'm feeling particularly nosy today.

ReputationRep:
        It's my second choice. I think I'll get placed after I receive my exam results. Just out of interest, what were your other choices?

And yours?

Spoiler:
        Show
        Sorry, but I'm feeling particularly nosy today.
        My order of preference was:
        1. Vienna
        2. Prague
        3. Copenhagen
        4. Amsterdam

Oops, I was wrong...3/4 I'd actually forgotten so I had to find the form :p:

ReputationRep:
        Mine were;
        1. University of Maryland, Baltimore County
        2. Ohio University
        3. University of Illinois, UC
        4. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
        5. University of Tennessee, Knoxville

I kinda had my heart set on my top two but I'm happy now that I'm getting used to the idea. I can't believe Illinois has 40,000 students though, it's gonna seem enormous compared to Swansea!

ReputationRep:
        Hi!
        I've been accepted to do a year abroad at Univeristy of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, studying linguistics I'm really excited, although slightly nervous as what I actually study is English Language, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference!

WelshLily, have you actually heard back from Illinois, or just put forward by your university? I don't mean to sound rude, it's just that my flatmate hasn't heard back yet and she's getting worried!

ReputationRep:
        I'm going to the University of South Australia in Adelaide. It's such an effort getting everything ready - VISAS, accommodation blah blah blah.

I have to get a 2:1 this year to go, is that the same for anyone else? It shouldn't be a problem but it still adds to the pressue of things.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Saskia)
        Hi!
        I've been accepted to do a year abroad at Univeristy of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, studying linguistics I'm really excited, although slightly nervous as what I actually study is English Language, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference!

WelshLily, have you actually heard back from Illinois, or just put forward by your university? I don't mean to sound rude, it's just that my flatmate hasn't heard back yet and she's getting worried!
        Congrats I was interested in North Carolina but they didn't send anyone there this year for some reason!

No, I haven't heard anything directly from them yet. Apparently my acceptance package is on the way but until I get it I can't start applying for the VISA! I'm relieved to hear that someone else is going through the same thing, though. Most of the people on my course going to other American universities have already been accepted and chosen their accommodation and everything!

ReputationRep:
        Hi, I am also doing a year abroad next year. I am going to Kanazawa University in Japan. Is anyone else really nervous or worried about being away from home?!

ReputationRep:
        ^ Yep!

I'm going to the University of Buenos Aires.

ReputationRep:
        I'm going to University of Sheffield in September, but only for a semester. Definitely looking forward to it
        Btw, I'm from Copenhagen - it's a lovely place, you should be very excited. You can always take short weekend trips to Vienna and Prague, plane tickets aren't very expensive and there are also trains and busses. Copenhagen is quite central and we have good links to most of Europe :P All the exchange students I've spoken with have also been to Russia for some reason, so you can look forward to that.

And good luck learning Danish

ReputationRep:
        For anyone who's going to be doing a language year abroad...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1441569

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by CPH<3)
        I'm going to University of Sheffield in September, but only for a semester. Definitely looking forward to it
        Btw, I'm from Copenhagen - it's a lovely place, you should be very excited. You can always take short weekend trips to Vienna and Prague, plane tickets aren't very expensive and there are also trains and busses. Copenhagen is quite central and we have good links to most of Europe :P All the exchange students I've spoken with have also been to Russia for some reason, so you can look forward to that.

And good luck learning Danish
        I am studying in Sheffield at the moment, you have lots to look forward to, I love it. I am almost sorry to be studying in Japan in September!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.