Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maturity)
    Cheers mate, I am trying.
    Next time you notice yourself procrastinating, think of your grade and the benefit you could get from going over that key topic quickly.

I know its difficult because I'm procrastinating by being on here right now

ReputationRep:
    Economics, so I do everything from writing essays to maths to analysis etc. I am asking for feedback my essays are getting a lot better now. Just grrrrrr so frustrating although I have been talking to other people and they seem to be getting 2.2's and very low 2.1's also?
    Just give this term up like only another week after this. Revise hard over xmas and really go for it in the spring term onwards. I mean I don't know just feel a bit lost.

Completely understand mate. A few people in my group feel a bit lost. I'm doing Law, but having done it at A level, I'm already familiar with the research techniques. If the majority of the class are getting similar grades as you, then it isn't too much to worry about, just do that little bit more. Actually ask your teacher what you could do to push your grade up to a high 2:1/1st.

I'm not sure how things are at your uni, but at ours for essays at least - we're allowed to show our tutor an A4 plan which they can give pointers on. Try and take advantage of this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    How Patronising. A 2.2 is NOT good.
    I didn't mean for it to be patronising perhaps I've been ignorant and thought 2.2 was good? oh well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calannra)
    2.2 is brilliant!
    Are you serious? A 2.2 is basically spending three years and a ****load of money to get nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Are you serious? A 2.2 is basically spending three years and a ****load of money to get nothing.
    goodness! I think you'll find we've all found that I have come to realise 2.2 clearly isn't good

ReputationRep:
    2.2 is brilliant!
    The reason you got a reaction saying this s because it's patronising and frankly, offensive. If a young person came to you getting D's and asked you for help. You wouldn't go "D's are Brilliant keep up the good work!" and walk off would you?

ReputationRep:
    Well I am in my first year, first term and I am getting increasingly concerned that all my homework I hand in I keep coming back with a 2.2 bar one I got a low 2.1 on. But I am questioning now if I am actually good enough for university any more?
    Sorry just feel a bit down.
    What subject do you study and where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insoms)
    The reason you got a reaction saying this s because it's patronising and frankly, offensive. If a young person came to you getting D's and asked you for help. You wouldn't go "D's are Brilliant keep up the good work!" and walk off would you?
    I didn't mean for it to be patronising and offensive! Apologies for anyone I have upset.

ReputationRep:
    goodness! I think you'll find we've all found that I have come to realise 2.2 clearly isn't good
    And the award for most stupidly phrased sentence goes to..... calannra

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    And the award for most stupidly phrased sentence goes to..... calannra
    haha it is pretty stupid! anyways, I'll stop posting on this thread and leave people to give the OP some decent advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valh)
    What subject do you study and where?
    Economics, rather not say exactly where but like top 15.

ReputationRep:
    OP don't worry too much it's still really early days, and the fact that you are concerned about it only shows that you want to improve and are willing to look into that, so that's always a good start :cool:

It all depends what subject you are doing. It's quite a big, different step up going to university and the writing styles change quite a lot, which is something my lecturers went on about a lot. Your university may have a study advice service which concentrate on this, they can look through the structuring and look at whether you are answering fully.

If it's content, then look at whether you are answering around the question enough, are you basing your answers solely on the material given or are you looking more indepth and using research material.

Your usually not allowed to get lecturers to look through plans/ drafts (basing this on past experience) but you are well within your rights to get them to go through feedback. Look at your strengths and weaknesses.

Hope this helps, I was in the same boat

OP I remember when I started university, my first assig. mark was 45 - I and many others just about passed that assignment. It was abit of a downer, but I passed which was the main thing. Gradually my marks improved through constructive criticism from lecturers and help from my mum who proof read what I produced and etc. With extra hard work it'll pay off .

ReputationRep:
      Goodness me you're touchy!! 2.2's are good/brilliant/fantastic for the first few months at university! Things can only get better
      I agree with this, at least if you're getting 2.2s and you want to achieve higher you have the opportunity to improve from now on.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tbm)
      I agree with this, at least if you're getting 2.2s and you want to achieve higher you have the opportunity to improve from now on.
      I suppose it is the first time I have come across it and I will get better the more work I do on it in time for the summer exams.

ReputationRep:
      I remember once when I got a warning from my department over my grade in a core language module. I can commiserate OP, not good stuff.

You have three options:

1) Go mental and stab everyone up at the next SU night. You might be a bad student but they'll remember you

2) Languish sadly, procrastinating on TSR etc.

3) Step up your game and annihilate your coursemates. It's a competition you have to win

Basically start by just structuring your days more, that will give an instant improvement.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by The Lyceum)
      I remember once when I got a warning from my department over my grade in a core language module. I can commiserate OP, not good stuff.

You have three options:

1) Go mental and stab everyone up at the next SU night. You might be a bad student but they'll remember you

2) Languish sadly, procrastinating on TSR etc.

3) Step up your game and annihilate your coursemates. It's a competition you have to win

Basically start by just structuring your days more, that will give an instant improvement.
      Holy!
      yeah I will go with point 3 and 2 and structure my day.

ReputationRep:
      Well apart from talking to your tutors and asking for a detailed explaination of how you can approve your work I would talk to some of the other students. Find out how they are doing and what they are currently doing in their assignments and what is different from theirs to yours.

Don't worry about geeting 2.2's at this stage. It's a completley different ball game from Secondary school. The first year is to learn how to do academic work hence why the grades from first year usually don't count. Trust me just keep at it and by the end of the year you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
      I didn't mean for it to be patronising perhaps I've been ignorant and thought 2.2 was good? oh well!
      Well a 2.2 used to be a pretty good grade a few decades ago apparently, but so many graduate jobs now require a 2.1, which is why a 2.2 is viewed as bad now.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
      What are you talking about? It's good (not brilliant now?) because it's not a fail?

Well, suppose I got a D at A level. Is that 'brilliant'? At least it wasn't a U.. :facepalm:
      :rolleyes: it's his first term. Not everyone will get amazing grades first term because they are still finding their feet. Jesus.

What is with the snobbery on TSR? Oh that's right, expected to be perfect first time round on here aren't you, no such thing as practice makes perfect right?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.