Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sick of these demanding students Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
    Not true, only Germany and France said they were thinking about raising it, most are cutting, a few are freezing bugets. Fact is most of Europe is making cuts to their public sector including university funding.
    "In an article for the Guardian, the Russell Group also says, “Nicolas Sarkozy has just announced an investment of 11bn Euros in higher education in France, stating he wants ‘the best universities in the world.’ Germany pumped a total of 18bn Euros into promoting world-class research alongside university education, while Barack Obama ploughed an additional US$21bn into federal science spending.”"

So the other 2 most powerful EU economies (and the US) are increasing their educations budgets. Why are we cutting ours? My point stands - no-one in Europe has cut their HE budgets by 70%+, and the biggest economies are raising theirs massively.

The new scheme is better than the current scheme as nobody pays anything upfront
    I think you'll find thats exactly how the current system works

Other solution is to cut the number of places drastically so that only around 10% of school leavers got the opportunity which I think is more unfair and worse for the economy.
    The other solution is for the government to properly fund education, as a merit good, just like the rest of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physics2011)
    Yes it will great if universities were free like the old days, but guess what, only 5% went so the country could cope with it.

Now over 40% are going to university, mostly thanks to making a levels easy so tom,**** and harry can all go and waste tax payers money, doing mickey mouse degrees and getting drunk and have one night stands.

You student all want a world class universities and yet you don't want to pay for your share.

countries across the world are building billion pound universities while the UK is falling behind due to lack of founds.

The goverment can not build billion pound universities with tax papers money!

University is not a birth right!

I am not rich, but I am happying to pay £9000 a year, its a lot cheaper than USA!
    I hate the way university is done on the cheap in the UK.

Stop complaining and pay for what you use!
    This is ridiculous. Alevels are not easy for a start, not everyone does 'mickey mouse' subjects etc. I agree that there are some people who should do apprenticeships etc rather than a degree, but the rest of your post is pointless and frankly, idiotic. We do not need to build billion dollar universities, we already have some world class ones, we just need to improve on what we have.

Education is not a 'birth right', no, but increasing fees will make it so, because only those born into money will be able to have it eventually. It is a right, though, we have a legal right to education and i think this should extend to higher education for those it would benefit (in terms of career etc).

There's no point comparing to America, the system is completely different.HE is done on a marketplace system there, same as healthcare. This basically means that unless you can afford large fees, or are lucky enough to get a scholarship, you don't get a good degree. This is not a good thing, and I see no way that it ever could be. University is not done on the cheap here, have you actually been somewhere else to compare the quality of education? Do that and then come back and argue that ours is rubbish.

I am not rich, but I am happying to pay £9000 a year, its a lot cheaper than USA!
      No it isn't. :facepalm2:

And before you point to Harvard and Yale, you should remember that they're private institutions. Even then, they still offer scholarships to poorer students of the like which just wouldn't be imaginable in the UK.

The public university in the USA, you know Illinois, North Carolina, Washington, etc. will now be cheaper than UK universities.

ReputationRep:
      I am the one who is doing a physics degree!
      Come back when you can do a real degree you loser!
      Says the person failing their degree:

Hi folks.

I am a 1st year physics student and I have a mid term test coming up on two different moduals, I know I have failed, both, I can not even get 10%.

I was wondering, After reading week, when the test starts and if I do not go in and sit the test, would the university kick me out? Or would they just write a big zero for that modual?
      And let me stay on the course till I have final exams in the summer?

In general what are universities like when it comes to getting zero during the course test?

Thanks
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post28354015

ReputationRep:
      You student all want a world class universities and yet you don't want to pay for your share.

I hate the way university is done on the cheap in the UK.
      Funny... I thought average student debt was around £25,000... Does that not equate to 'paying your share'.

If this legislation passes, people will be expected to pay up to £75,000 overall?

Saying this is better because you pay less monthly is like justifying debt consolidation... Something any self-respecting financial advisor would not advise.

And actually its cheaper for US graduates to go to Uni than over here... It works out at around £1,550 a year in the US.

So..... Average student debt of under £12,000 or £50,000+?

Google brain drain.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by master roflcopter)
      This is ridiculous. Alevels are not easy for a start, not everyone does 'mickey mouse' subjects etc. I agree that there are some people who should do apprenticeships etc rather than a degree, but the rest of your post is pointless and frankly, idiotic. We do not need to build billion dollar universities, we already have some world class ones, we just need to improve on what we have.

Education is not a 'birth right', no, but increasing fees will make it so, because only those born into money will be able to have it eventually. It is a right, though, we have a legal right to education and i think this should extend to higher education for those it would benefit (in terms of career etc).

There's no point comparing to America, the system is completely different.HE is done on a marketplace system there, same as healthcare. This basically means that unless you can afford large fees, or are lucky enough to get a scholarship, you don't get a good degree. This is not a good thing, and I see no way that it ever could be. University is not done on the cheap here, have you actually been somewhere else to compare the quality of education? Do that and then come back and argue that ours is rubbish.
      What you simple?
      We need to compare to USA!
      Why should the great UK universities be 2nd best??
      UK lead the way in university education and we should try and be number one again!

next 10 years people like you will be complaining who UK degrees are not respected as much any more...boo hoo hoo

ReputationRep:
      What you simple?
      We need to compare to USA!
      Why should the great UK universities be 2nd best??
      UK lead the way in university education and we should try and be number one again!

next 10 years people like you will be complaining who UK degrees are not respected as much any more...boo hoo hoo
      I think you are simple more like it.
      One last time is it. WE ARE ACTUALLY CUTTING UNIVERSITY FUNDING.
      Is that clear enough for you?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      Says the person failing their degree:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post28354015
      So..i am suffering from depression!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by WelshBluebird)
      I agree that our unis are not funded enough. Which is why we should be INCREASING their funding, and not decreasing it.
      that would be lovely- though where would you like the money for that to come from?? the government walked into the treasury to a note saying- theres no money left- sorry. hence all the cuts. yes unis are important but its unfair to the average person who wont have gone to uni to say we are going to cut pensions, benefits, the nhs etc just so about 40% of young people can have a good time using your money...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by overtherainbow)
      that would be lovely- though where would you like the money for that to come from?? the government walked into the treasury to a note saying- theres no money left- sorry. hence all the cuts. yes unis are important but its unfair to the average person who wont have gone to uni to say we are going to cut pensions, benefits, the nhs etc just so about 40% of young people can have a good time using your money...
      I agree that its not realistic. But thats what I would like to see.
      My main point against the OP is that he keeps going on about how we need to compete with america, and higher fees will help us do that. But that is BS. Unis will not see any extra money than what they get now.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by overtherainbow)
      I agree.
      Also they is a culture in this country, where people want something for nothing.

I got people living next door to me,who don't work and just play loud music and yet they got a nice flat paid by the goverment.

while my parents had to work their ass off to pay for our flat!

ReputationRep:
      So..i am suffering from depression!
      Yeah I think I would be too if I couldn't even muster 10% on a test.

Seriously, bro. If you're failing your degree, you're in no position to mock the degrees of others.

ReputationRep:
      I agree. Too many people going to University these days.

ReputationRep:
      I agree that its not realistic. But thats what I would like to see.
      My main point against the OP is that he keeps going on about how we need to compete with america, and higher fees will help us do that. But that is BS. Unis will not see any extra money than what they get now.

Yes universites will see more money, because the goverment does not top 6000 for every 3000 we pay! the goverment tops up much less!

so in real terms, the 9000 will make a difference and it will get higher!

and rubbish universities will ask for less money as fees because no one will appply.

supply and demand! let the weak fail!! sick of the goverment paying for weak universities to give out watered down degrees and making the concept of the degree laughable.

ReputationRep:
      I think you are simple more like it.
      One last time is it. WE ARE ACTUALLY CUTTING UNIVERSITY FUNDING.
      Is that clear enough for you?
      Exactly!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      Yeah I think I would be too if I couldn't even muster 10% on a test.

Seriously, bro. If you're failing your degree, you're in no position to mock the degrees of others.
      Yes I can, I am on the degree course because I got the grades need to cope with the degree.
      I am failing because of depression not because of lack of I.Q

Get your facts right.

ReputationRep:
      Yes universites will see more money, because the goverment does not top 6000 for every 3000 we pay! the goverment tops up much less!

so in real terms, the 9000 will make a difference and it will get higher!
      To get the same amount of funding as they have today, every university will have to charge at least £7000 fees for every degree.
      Since everyone is so damn adement that most will charge £6000, then that means they will actually get less money that what they do today.

The government is cutting the funding by 80%. That is a huge figure.

ReputationRep:
      To get the same amount of funding as they have today, every university will have to charge at least £7000 fees for every degree.
      Since everyone is so damn adement that most will charge £6000, then that means they will actually get less money that what they do today.

The government is cutting the funding by 80%. That is a huge figure.
      When universities get money from goverment even when they offer weak courses and run the place like a **** hole it is a waste!!

Let universties charge what they want!! let the weak fail and the best be the best in the world and gain its place as the best in the world....

So, if Imperial want to charge 20,000 a year to be the best in the world.
      LET THEM!!......BUT the goverment must give money to students so they can pay the 20000 and pay it back when they get a job.

better system than the usa and good way to make uk great again

why does the UK always so happy to be 2nd best to the USA?

ReputationRep:
      BUT the goverment must give money to students so they can pay the 20000 and pay it back when they get a job.
      And how do you suggest the government pay for these increased loans while they are cutting pretty much all spending?

ReputationRep:
      Yes I can, I am on the degree course because I got the grades need to cope with the degree.
      I am failing because of depression not because of lack of I.Q

Get your facts right.
      Whatever helps you sleep at night, bro.

But the fact is, if you can't do a 'real degree', you certainly shouldn't be criticising others, because frankly, 10% is utterly pathetic.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.