Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I appreciate all the suggestions guys, and I really welcome more (especially the mac one- that's a good idea) The concept of intimidating him is a bit.... iffy... I'm kinda dealing with a 6.5 foot rugby player- so intimidation's not gonna work. Specially as I'm a 180lb, 5 foot 7 girl With not so many scary friends

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I LOVE JackWoot's idea about the browsing history!!! Try it!

If you are capable of being malicious, there are other things you could try;
    1) Leave another man's underwear in her bedroom. Spray Lynx on her bedding/ clothes.
    2) Constantly talk about how great her and her ex were together.
    3) Flirt with him. She might not spend so much time there then!
    4) Leave poo floating in the toilet and blame him. Eww.
    5) Play loud music they hate at 3am/ whenever they're asleep.
    6) Invite them on a night out, go to the toilet and leave them there. Then go back to your nice quiet flat.
    7) Hide/move/wreck their things. But in a way they won't suspect you or can't prove it's you.
    8) Laugh about them with other people, basically make them paranoid.
    9) Have you got a house phone? Phone it repeatedly to annoy them and hang up. Withhold the number, obviously.
    10) After you've left for Uni in the morning, set your alarm so it goes off constantly. Hopefully this will drive them insane. If they go into your room to turn it off, go MAD! Put something e.g. a lamp in front of your door so you know they've been in there. But pretend it was only there because you're messy.
    11) Leave the kitchen/ bathroom in a TIP.
    12) Insult them about something they're sensitive about but in a jokey way e.g. their big nose.
    13) Have loud sex with someone and bang up against their wall.
    14) Make out like something has gone on between you and him.
    15) Have a shower, and walk around with just a towel on.
    16) Get one of your male friends to phone her, asking her out on a date while he's listening. But someone she doesn't know. He can say he got her number off a dating or sex site.
    17) Get someone to add him on facebook and write on his wall; "Thanks for last ...... " fill in the gap with whatever day/ night he actually wasn't at yours!

Basically, make it so they living with YOU is hell, not the other way round. Not nice, but maybe worth a try?

Brace yourself- they may retaliate!

Also, you & your other flatmate can refuse to pay for the Internet. Say you will just use it at Uni from now on.

Good luck

Edit- Oh and if they do start arguing, and maybe split up, you can be the shoulder to cry on haha! Anything, as long it's peaceful

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm much smaller than you and I would refuse to be intimidated. What exactly is he gonna do? Hit you? I doubt he'd dare.

ReputationRep:
    wow A and her boyfriend sound like right dicks, if that was me id just move everything to my room, get a lock and when his over play loud music. Id just bring back more people to the flat to hang out with that way he'l feel intimidated or at least stay in A room.

Complain to your landlord that A is having her boyfriend way over the permitted tenancy agreement, shes breaking a contract with the landlord so hopefully it'l get her kicked out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmv22)
    Haha, I LOVE JackWoot's idea about the browsing history!!! Try it!

If you are capable of being malicious, there are other things you could try;
    1) Leave another man's underwear in her bedroom. Spray Lynx on her bedding/ clothes.
    2) Constantly talk about how great her and her ex were together.
    3) Flirt with him. She might not spend so much time there then!
    4) Leave poo floating in the toilet and blame him. Eww.
    5) Play loud music they hate at 3am/ whenever they're asleep.
    6) Invite them on a night out, go to the toilet and leave them there. Then go back to your nice quiet flat.
    7) Hide/move/wreck their things. But in a way they won't suspect you or can't prove it's you.
    8) Laugh about them with other people, basically make them paranoid.
    9) Have you got a house phone? Phone it repeatedly to annoy them and hang up. Withhold the number, obviously.
    10) After you've left for Uni in the morning, set your alarm so it goes off constantly. Hopefully this will drive them insane. If they go into your room to turn it off, go MAD! Put something e.g. a lamp in front of your door so you know they've been in there. But pretend it was only there because you're messy.
    11) Leave the kitchen/ bathroom in a TIP.
    12) Insult them about something they're sensitive about but in a jokey way e.g. their big nose.
    13) Have loud sex with someone and bang up against their wall.
    14) Make out like something has gone on between you and him.
    15) Have a shower, and walk around with just a towel on.
    16) Get one of your male friends to phone her, asking her out on a date while he's listening. But someone she doesn't know. He can say he got her number off a dating or sex site.
    17) Get someone to add him on facebook and write on his wall; "Thanks for last ...... " fill in the gap with whatever day/ night he actually wasn't at yours!

Basically, make it so they living with YOU is hell, not the other way round. Not nice, but maybe worth a try?

Brace yourself- they may retaliate!

Also, you & your other flatmate can refuse to pay for the Internet. Say you will just use it at Uni from now on.

Good luck

Edit- Oh and if they do start arguing, and maybe split up, you can be the shoulder to cry on haha! Anything, as long it's peaceful

Ingenious, i love it. :P

ReputationRep:
    Uh, oh. It's gotten worse. Apparently the quite nice chat I had the other day with her hasn't gone down well. They've started blanking me, slamming doors, stomping around, playing music really loud, throwing things about in the kitchen and I'm pretty sure some of my stuff has been moved (not that I know what they've done to it) They woke me up at 4am last night, stomping around and slamming doors. I'm feeling really quite bullied. I don't know how to fix this without resorting to being just as bad as they are, and tbh I don't think I can be like that.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably you are going home for Christmas soon? Hold out until then, and take the PS3 and TV home and leave them there.
    Also, wtf at not having a lock on your room...? :lolwut:

Edit: Just thought, if you did put them in your room, and they came and took them, that would be theft and you could call the cops. It would be hard to prove though. And yeah, Police involvement is a definite sign that you are no longer friends...

I'd move out to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Presumably you are going home for Christmas soon? Hold out until then, and take the PS3 and TV home and leave them there.
    Also, wtf at not having a lock on your room...? :lolwut:

Edit: Just thought, if you did put them in your room, and they came and took them, that would be theft and you could call the cops. It would be hard to prove though. And yeah, Police involvement is a definite sign that you are no longer friends...

I'd move out to be honest.
    Unfortunately I'm kinda familyless (long story- involves violins ) so I'm stuck here 24/7. I don't really have anywhere else to go, short of a hotel or a friends house for a bit. So I'm somewhat stuck in this. I would move out, but I'd forfeit the contract, and I don't really have anywhere to go.

I'm quite scared by the amount of anger I've got back off them- it doesn't seem proportional at all. Nearly 3 years living together and we've never had a crossed word. We still haven't, just me quietly asking her to see if he could lay off playing the PS3 so much, and now I'm getting woken up by slamming doors and loud music. I'm really quite scared about what will happen next....

ReputationRep:
    Firstly i really hope this sorts itself out for you. Having lived in a house with a fair bit of tension and anger during my undergrad degree i know what your going through and how awful it is

I was in a similar situation myself in my third year, living with my then girlfriend and a guy we were both friends with. Anything was going all scrummy until the guy started dating this girl off his course and gradually over about 2 months she essentially became a forth housemate. The guy was lovely and we were really good friends, but he was kinda...well easily influenced and not prepared to stand up for himself, so she essentially wore the trousers in their relationship and seemed to think she could boss me and my girlfriend around as well - clearly she was threatened or uncomfortable with our relationship as in a number of the big rows we had there was quite a bit of homophobic abuse hurled at the two of us :'( But over time the three of us grow steadily apart because of all the crap and lies she spread (I don't really wanna go into stuff as this reply is in danger of being WAY TO LONG! but it eventually resulting in me and my girlfriend breaking up) to the point where there was alot of petty 'prankpulling' for want of a better word by her doing things like swapping fresh and sour milk and just really immature stuff like that, swapping sugar and salt, putting chilli powder in with coffee, just really pathetic stuff tbh (i say pathetic but obviously it was big at the time). I have to admit now that although we had the odd big row neither me nor my girlfriend were the kind of people to openly stand up to it and just put up with the crap. Unfortunately i suffer from a level of incontinence (:-$ TMI i know, but relevent) and only when she started messing around with my stuff for that did i finally have the balls to do something about it.

Fortunately we had really good landlords who managed to get both my housemate and his girlfriend chucked out (i don't know the specifics, im not a law graduate), which although obviously not ideal in the slightest did solve the problem.

All i can advise is staying strong and trying not to let it openly affect you (Easier said that done i know), but also don't let it get the stage where you just give up and accept it and let them win. Was she like this with other guys when you lived with her before? If not it may not entirely be her fault, she could be being influenced by her boyfriend, not saying there is anything dodgy going on between the two of them but you never know quite how much of a say she has in the situation if you get me. If you have a boyfriend who can spend time there it may help (sounds sexist i know, but he's less likely to pick on you with another guy around - just a fact of life alas)? I like the idea about limiting internet access to certain devices, although i guess that may just anger him :-s

I assume you have locks on your bedroom door? Although not ideal at least you can keep valuable stuff in their. I know it doesnt solve the problem of living with a douche and her boyfriend but at the very least it keeps your stuff safe. I'm guessing from what you say you aren't really the type of person to go for all out rows or petty niggly stuff behind their backs so personally i think going down a legal/landlord route is the best option. Not overly sure if it will solve the problem but its a start.

Like i said i really hope things pick up for you as they sound horrendous. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    I lived with people who ended up blanking me last year, and it was HORRIBLE!
    The best thing I did was talk to the student housing office at my university. They're really used to people ringing/going in and saying there's problems with their housemates. I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had some more of issue with housemates.
    Boys are usually quite lucky, they just say 'stop doing that it's pissing me off' and none of them take offence... somehow us girls don't seem to do the same!
    Once you've spoken to the housing people (or if you don't have them your personal tutor, they're meant to help with any problem, not just uni work) take their advice. If it still goes down the pan then you literally have nothing to lose. Tell them to stop slamming the doors. Them they you want your stuff back. You don't need to be polite at that point, and you need to argue your case on everything. My housemates tried to take me for a ride and I ended up having a huuuuge argument with them and literally wouldn't stop until they gave in and I got what I wanted from them (which was to get out of the tenancy agreement for the next year). I usually find it really hard to assert myself like that, but there comes a point where you just have to prepare yourself, suck it up and go in guns blazing. Don't take any crap just keep arguing and eventually they'll give in. Oh, and if they touch you (and I mean touch) walk out and tell your landlord you feel unsafe - escalate it above them and find somewhere else to live!
    Good luck with it all! Hopefully it won't have to come to any of this!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.