Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would it be cheaper to go to University in a different country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayyyy_x)
    I'd start at Uni in 2012 and I've always really wanted to go to St Andrews, Edinburgh or Bath... but now the fees are so expensive I doubt it's going to happen.

Just wondering whether it would be cheaper to study abroad, whether it be Europe, America, Asia or Australia?

... And hopefully an English-Speaking Country could offer this? I hate non English-Speaking countries because the language barrier always makes me feel so cut off.

Thanks!
    The tuition fee really is a non-issue..

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if going abroad just for the money is going to be worthwile, simply because moving to another country is quite an experience on its own; if that's not what you're looking for, I would certainly consider staying in the UK. I assume you will get SF, tuition fee & maintenance loans, hence you're not paying it straight away.

Anyway, depending on how far you'd want to go; I see some people mentioning the Netherlands and there seems to be quite a tendency recently for British students to go over there. I'm Dutch (done the opposite route, moving to the UK for uni) and I can assure you that the language barrier won't be that bad, because all Dutch people (bar some exceptions in small villages in rural areas, of course) have a good command of English and will be happy to converse with you in English.
    Apart from that you could have a look at the 'university colleges' (look at Amsterdam University College, University College Utrecht, Roosevelt Academy, University College Maastricht) which are campus-based colleges, completely English-taught and -spoken, as they have a very large international student population. Hence you'd essentially be living in an English-speaking environment.

ReputationRep:
    um.. tuition in the UK is cheap compared to most english speaking countries worldwide. Minus the cultural changes, travel expenses, and living AWAY from home. Especially if you've never lived in a dorm before, much more actually on your own in another country. I would stick to europe and countries in Scandinavia (their english is probably better than some native speakers.)

ReputationRep:
    Yes! It is much cheaper! Please don't listen to all these other people. I am currently studying in the Netherlands so can speak from experience. I pay 1771 euros per year for my university education at a very good university. Compared to 11000 EUROS in the uk this is a bargain - my living costs are also 9600 euros per year so it really doesn't matter about international travel because in all honesty - your parents pay for that right? Either way the cost when you put living and tuition is still lower either way.

Even if the UK exited the EU the proper no EU fee is still only 8000 something euros, therefore still cheaper. Lectures are perfectly understandable, just make sure to choose a university high up in the global rankings unlike some people who go abroad do. And then you can Learn the language once you're there. Unless you're planning on going to France (which doesn't even have ANY bachelor level courses in English) then you're safe on in language and have the opportunity of a new cultural experience + doing a year abroad as you might do anyway in say China.

And international travel: Ryanair & eurolines. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone mentioned, you should seriously consider South Africa as it easily has the best universities and location in Africa. A very similar university structure to the UK and very possible to transfer credits/courses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.