The Student Room Group

President's Medal Winner

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The film is undeniably very well done and impressive for a Part 2 student to have put together. The message / concept / story is intellectually pretty boring and trite.
Completely agree. An amazing piece of work which I think deserves huge amounts of credit but to win the silver medal I think is very questionable and misinformative to prospective students
Also My main issue with the project isn't the fact that its a dystopian future because I do enjoy looking into to projects like this, they are normally very innovative and create interesting solutions. But with this project I can not see the solution to the issue, it merely highlights the problem. That's my initial thought anyway, I am going to the presentation at RIBA where some of the winners present their projects and hopefully the explanation to the project may change my mind
Original post by Ex Death
Surprise, surprise. This year's winner is yet another dystopian future project only this time it has nothing to do with architecture and lots to do with 3D animation and robots!

http://www.presidentsmedals.com/Project_Details.aspx?id=2939

Better yet, it's a complete rip off of the movie District 9. We can see RIBA's message quite clearly here. They're subliminally telling us to get out of architecture while we still can and go into something like movie production. That's what we should be aspiring to.

At the Pavilion of Protest discussion at RIBA recently this was what Nic Clear was pushing for. It's obvious that undergrad architecture is an artsy spatial design course, but post-grad really should hold onto being making buildings I think. It's making the label of architect quite diluted.
Reply 24
Original post by lwhiteman88
Also My main issue with the project isn't the fact that its a dystopian future because I do enjoy looking into to projects like this, they are normally very innovative and create interesting solutions. But with this project I can not see the solution to the issue, it merely highlights the problem. That's my initial thought anyway, I am going to the presentation at RIBA where some of the winners present their projects and hopefully the explanation to the project may change my mind

Agree. I read the statement - the author seemed to be saying that he'd fulfilled his Part 2 requirement because he'd studied the site, then learned to make films, then modelled the robots in 3D.

A bit like me saying that I chose my site, analysed it, learned how to use SketchUp, and then modelled a door. I always thought there was a requirement under Part 2 to design a certain min structural span, variety of functions, etc.
This is so far removed from the reality of Architecture it seems ridiculous to even use the same label.
Reply 26
I really liked the Northumbria project that got runner up. A far worthier winner in my view.

I believe many of the winners only get chosen because the old ****ers that make the decision view it as some kind of magic because they don't know how to use that big grey/black box sitting under their table .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending