Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliceeeeeeeeee)
    there wasn't a close bracket on the first 'quote' bit!
    so you think it doesn't really matter if i don't take a science or maths?
    I wouldn't think so. Especially if you're doing French. If you had to do a science though, what would you do?

(Personally I'd recommend Physics because it's the one which has the most explicit basis of logic and logical concerns, but that's just me )

ReputationRep:
    there wasn't a close bracket on the first 'quote' bit!
    so you think it doesn't really matter if i don't take a science or maths?
    I think that should work...

I think its good to have a variety of subjects if you want to be primary teacher, but I also think that the science/maths you've done at GCSE is good if you don't want to specialize in science/maths in the future.

And if you're Government and Politics counts as a social science, then its not like you haven't got any science at all. Psychology also counts as a social science, if you were thinking of doing that.

I think for the subjects you want to do, maths or science might be a bit unrelated, but don't just take my word for it, cos I don't take maths or science... you could always look into something like Psychology or Philosophy, because they go well with Eng Lit and History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    (Personally I'd recommend Physics because it's the one which has the most explicit basis of logic and logical concerns, but that's just me )
    Physics is one of the hardest subjects to take though, and if she doesn't want to take a science in Uni, it might be hard work for not much reason

I'd suggest biology or chemistry if you really wanted to do a traditional science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieandjim)
    Physics is one of the hardest subjects to take though, and if she doesn't want to take a science in Uni, it might be hard work for not much reason

I'd suggest biology or chemistry if you really wanted to do a traditional science
    Hmm, true. I just wouldn't take a Science in that position then, because if you haven't got a real preference for them, there's no point.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose, but we're doing Aristotle in Literature so I suppose I can wait.

I'm doing five at the moment: 16th Century History, English Literature, Mathematics, Economics & Politics. Ideally though, I'd like to take three into A2 (probably English Literature, History & Mathematics) just to secure A grades.

I could probably try doing 4 in A2, but I wouldn't want to compromise a grade or grades.

How many are you planning on doing in A2?
    I'm going to take four through I think: Philosophy, English Lit, History and Critical Thinking. Crit Think is only two hours a week and no coursework, so it won't be too much work, I don't think. I'm hoping to take English Literature (maybe combined with Philosophy ) in University.

Do you do Charles and James in your history? European witchcraze etc? Just wondering, every college does a different history course. I'm doing 'early modern' as its classed at mine

ReputationRep:
    i would probably do biology because i got an a* and a b in my year 10 exams. mind you, i bet its a bit different! really, i want to do history, english lit and french for definite and i have a bit of an interest in gov+pol but i could take something else. i was considering sociology at some point, is it even worth it?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, true. I just wouldn't take a Science in that position then, because if you haven't got a real preference for them, there's no point.
    that's what I think too, better off taking something that relates more to the subjects you want to do in Uni

ReputationRep:

Do you do Charles and James in your history? European witchcraze etc? Just wondering, every college does a different history course. I'm doing 'early modern' as its classed at mine
    i'd do that one, early modern!

ReputationRep:
    i would probably do biology because i got an a* and a b in my year 10 exams. mind you, i bet its a bit different! really, i want to do history, english lit and french for definite and i have a bit of an interest in gov+pol but i could take something else. i was considering sociology at some point, is it even worth it?
    I have a friend taking sociology and she loves it. She takes Eng Lit and History (and Philosophy) too, so it'd fit in with all of the subjects you're doing

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to take four through I think: Philosophy, English Lit, History and Critical Thinking. Crit Think is only two hours a week and no coursework, so it won't be too much work, I don't think. I'm hoping to take English Literature (maybe combined with Philosophy ) in University.

That is an excellent combination, I must say. Don't you think 4 at A2 is too much, though?

I tried to get an arts/science combination to give myself a little more diversity (mainly for Oxford's demanding PPE). Do you know any universities that offer English Literature and Philosophy?

Have you started English Literature coursework? If so, what texts are you studying?

For History: we're doing Henry VIII for English history, and then Louis XIV for French history. The philosophical, economic and social concerns involved are just fascinating; I'm so glad I took History A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend taking sociology and she loves it. She takes Eng Lit and History (and Philosophy) too, so it'd fit in with all of the subjects you're doing
    Sociology is meh. Well, according to Cambridge's lists.. Something like Biology would be better.

Biology is very different at A-Level though, you have to be meticulous and remember every little detail.

ReputationRep:
    are you both on the wjec board for english literature?

ReputationRep:
    That is an excellent combination, I must say. Don't you think 4 at A2 is too much, though?

I tried to get an arts/science combination to give myself a little more diversity (mainly for Oxford's demanding PPE). Do you know any universities that offer English Literature and Philosophy?

Have you started English Literature coursework? If so, what texts are you studying?

For History: we're doing Henry VIII for English history, and then Louis XIV for French history. The philosophical, economic and social concerns involved are just fascinating; I'm so glad I took History A-Level.
    You get to do French History? I'm so jealous! I love my course though, so. I love all my courses, and the only one I'd be okay with dropping is Media (to be honest I wish I'd swopped it for psychology or english language, but ah well). And because Critical Thinking is only two hours a week, I think I'll be able to manage next year. I'm going to start with taking all four, and if it's too much I'll drop Crit Thinking

I know Leeds does a combined English Lit and Philosophy degree, which looks really good, but I'm also looking at Edinburgh to do English and Scottish Literature. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge to do English Lit too, but I haven't decided whether I will or not yet, I worried about the competition/fees involved with somewhere like Cambridge

Currently doing the Great Gatsby for English coursework, and hoping to compare it with The Picture of Dorian Gray instead of Catcher in the Rye, but I haven't read either of the last two yet. What are you doing for coursework?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a Welsh board not entirely sure why. That might the WJEC board, I'm not sure?

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a Welsh board not entirely sure why. That might the WJEC board, I'm not sure?
    i think it is do you not do jane eyre and wide sargasso sea for coursework then?

ReputationRep:
    You get to do French History? I'm so jealous! I love my course though, so. I love all my courses, and the only one I'd be okay with dropping is Media (to be honest I wish I'd swopped it for psychology or english language, but ah well). And because Critical Thinking is only two hours a week, I think I'll be able to manage next year. I'm going to start with taking all four, and if it's too much I'll drop Crit Thinking

I know Leeds does a combined English Lit and Philosophy degree, which looks really good, but I'm also looking at Edinburgh to do English and Scottish Literature. I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge to do English Lit too, but I haven't decided whether I will or not yet, I worried about the competition/fees involved with somewhere like Cambridge

Currently doing the Great Gatsby for English coursework, and hoping to compare it with The Picture of Dorian Gray instead of Catcher in the Rye, but I haven't read either of the last two yet. What are you doing for coursework?
    I really was considering doing English Language actually. It's just that it's "less preferred" by Oxbridge that put me off.

They all sound so enthralling. I would certainly love Oxbridge though, it just seems so good. I would like to apply for a scholarship, but the rarity of them seems pretty bad; and with the current competition, it just gets worse. -_-

Ah, that sounds interesting. Currently doing Shakespeare's 'Othello' for coursework, and then 'The Kite Runner' or 'A Streetcar Named Desire' - and likewise, with the last two. I really should start, but my priorities lie with getting a really high grade with the Shakespeare essay first.

ReputationRep:
    i think it is do you not do jane eyre and wide sargasso sea for coursework then?
    No, I do the Great Gatsby and Catcher in the Rye/The picture of Dorian Gray

ReputationRep:
    are you both on the wjec board for english literature?
    Nope, I'm on the AQA one.

ReputationRep:
    hello i'm currently in year 11 and am choosing my a level subjects ready for college. i am applying to 5 colleges but there is one im particularly favouring. i want to become a primary school teacher in the future, preferrably to children aged between 4 and 7 but would like to do a degree in a subject i enjoy first and then teacher training later to keep my options open.
    so far, i have chosen these choices:

english literature (a2), french, history and government and politics.

considering i am currently achieving B's in science and maths, do you think these choices offer enough variety?
    thankyouuu.
    I can't recommend Govt and Politics highly enough. I did it along with science amd maths and it was amazing at AS. Can't speak for A2.
    If you are achieving B's in science and it is not triple science maybe be a bit wary. I got A*s in all my triple sciences and it was still very challenging
    Maths is liked from the perspective of any degree as it show problem solving abilities etc.

My advice is to concentrate on what you want to do your degree in and what you enjoy most. At the end of the day, you ar not going to be teaching A level calculus to primary school children so just do what you are best at and what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I really was considering doing English Language actually. It's just that it's "less preferred" by Oxbridge that put me off.

They all sound so enthralling. I would certainly love Oxbridge though, it just seems so good. I would like to apply for a scholarship, but the rarity of them seems pretty bad; and with the current competition, it just gets worse. -_-

Ah, that sounds interesting. Currently doing Shakespeare's 'Othello' for coursework, and then 'The Kite Runner' or 'A Streetcar Named Desire' - and likewise, with the last two. I really should start, but my priorities lie with getting a really high grade with the Shakespeare essay first.
    I'd absolutely ADORE to go to Oxbridge, so I think I'll probably apply anyway. I really like the look of Edinburgh, so that's my second choice, and then Leeds is third. What other Uni's have you looked at?

And Alice (I don't know why, but I have this feeling that Alice is your name O_o ) do you know what Uni's you're thinking about yet? You don't have to know now, obviously, I'm just curious

You both ought to read A Thousand Splendid Suns, written by the same man who wrote The Kite Runner, it's amazing just throwing that out there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.