Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best £300 Electric Guitar for beginner. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Adding to my previous post, take a look at Ashton guitars. I played one for a good 3 and a half years before I picked up my beautiful Tanglewood.

Ashton guitars are amazing value, the only trouble I had with it was a few unsettled frets, but that was mainly because I let it get slightly damp and didn't look after it well. It look pretty awesome too and has a very good sound.

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt that picking up another new instrument starts with the hippy stages (my 1st guitar was £20 and I learnt to play by youtube vids and copying songs from my ipod) and then progresses up towards the snobby end of things where you only hang out with your music friends and make geeky jokes, etc.
    What if you don't even like playing guitar? Are your hobbies mainly music based already?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neillya1)
    I have a Roland Cube 30, and it's great I think. Good variety of sounds, not as good on the cleans as a Orange Crush (or on a light overdrive setting), but for modelling it's good.

The Orange Crush 15R is great for the price, fantastic cleans and a nice drive sound. Depends what you play really, but I'd try them both out in music shops, they're great value
    Cheers! Do you think I'd be better off getting a Line 6 pocket pod or one of these amps?

ReputationRep:
    IBANEZ

ReputationRep:
    Also, as the price bracket goes up - so does the difference in tone and suitability for certain styles. If you don't currently play guitar, you have no idea what style you will enjoy playing, and certainly no idea what guitar would be best for your needs.

As other people have said, a great amp will make any guitar sound better - but you could have the greatest guitar in the world and if you stick it in a crap amp it will sound crap. This means you would need to pay £300 for a guitar then another £200 at least on a decent amp.

Seriously, just buy a £150 guitar now and trade it in when you want to get a better guitar if you ever feel the need. You could probably sell on a £150 guitar for at least £70 if you kept it in good condition, and that money can go to your £300 guitar in a year or two time.

There is a reason why people aren't suggesting you £300 guitars when you don't even play yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buyingtheticket)
    Cheers! Do you think I'd be better off getting a Line 6 pocket pod or one of these amps?

I'd say Pocket Pod, but that's only because I'm selling mine on Amazon (and really cheaply )

Depends if you use headphones only or not, and what kind of sound you want. Personally I have both, but don't need the heavier drive/distortion sounds of the POD now so I just use the cube.

You're an absolute idiot. If you're so good at excelling at everything you try at, try to excel at Googling and finding out this stuff yourself.

NO. You can't afford an Orange amp (in the very high price range, above Marshall in most cases).
      NO. You can't afford a real Fender, Gibson, or Rickenbacker.

You want to be looking at Strat copies and relatively cheap amps. I've always believed that when starting to learn the guitar you should get the best you can afford, these Argos £100 guitar/amp combos should be stayed away from, but what you're suggesting if just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
      Wowww that is pretty cheap. Is the gizmo itself fully working/ in decent condition?

ReputationRep:
      I still play my Yamaha Pacifica and I've been playing it for 8/9 years and use it for gigs, teaching, everything. Mainly because I can't afford anything else....

ReputationRep:
      Wowww that is pretty cheap. Is the gizmo itself fully working/ in decent condition?
      I'm guessing you're talking to me?

Yup still works fine, just no USB cable to connect it to PC (so you can't make your own sounds in the software suite - I think it takes a normal mini-usb though so easy to find, and it comes with loads of sounds anyway) and it has no DC mains charger (so batteries only) and no box. Mains chargers can be bought for about a fiver anyway.
      It's in good condition too just wanting it to go now that I have no use for it and it's been on Amazon for ages and not sold!

Although it did today!! Did you buy it?

ReputationRep:
      I'm guessing you're talking to me?

Yup still works fine, just no USB cable to connect it to PC (so you can't make your own sounds in the software suite - I think it takes a normal mini-usb though so easy to find, and it comes with loads of sounds anyway) and it has no DC mains charger (so batteries only) and no box. Mains chargers can be bought for about a fiver anyway.
      It's in good condition too just wanting it to go now that I have no use for it and it's been on Amazon for ages and not sold!

Although it did today!! Did you buy it?
      Lol yes I was. And no I was about to buy it just now and then it dissapeared so someone beat me to it D:

ReputationRep:
      Lol yes I was. And no I was about to buy it just now and then it dissapeared so someone beat me to it D:
      Ah unluck! Maybe someone else who saw this thread bought it

ReputationRep:
      Ah unluck! Maybe someone else who saw this thread bought it
      Lol. Arggh man. I should have said " what a rip...and it's in **** condition!". Schoolboy error.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.