Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    I was lucky enough not to get rejected, but it's a common thing to happen, since most medical schools reject about 50% of those interviewed. What went wrong? At a guess I'd say nerves getting to them, saying something stupid, or the interviewers just feeling that the school wasn't for them/the applicant didn't know about the course etc. Advice - make sure you know how the course works. It's quite common to be asked "so what is it about this course that appeals to you," and if you can't answer it then it doesn't look too good :rolleyes: But just be yourself!! Because they will know if you'll fit into the school or not, so if they do reject you for that, they may well be doing you a favour (not that it seems like it at the time!!!) And you can get rejected for both reasons. Just missing out due to tough competition and just having a bad day. But if you are rejected, make sure to ask for feedback so you know what to improve on
    Wow! I didnt know that the percentage rejected after interview was that high! i always thought that if you had an interview it was almost half the work...
    but, babyboo-mind if I asked what sort of questions UEA asked you and what your like academic background stats are?, Ive applied there, really like it and want to rate my chances... also random but at the stations did you shake hands with all the interviewers, heard that in OSCE style interviews that is regarded as a waste of time, is that true? worried about interviews now.....
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazu121)
    i always thought that if you had an interview it was almost half the work...
    It is! Getting the interview is half the work, impressing at the interview is the other half. :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I didnt know that the percentage rejected after interview was that high! i always thought that if you had an interview it was almost half the work...
    but, babyboo-mind if I asked what sort of questions UEA asked you and what your like academic background stats are?, Ive applied there, really like it and want to rate my chances... also random but at the stations did you shake hands with all the interviewers, heard that in OSCE style interviews that is regarded as a waste of time, is that true? worried about interviews now.....
    Well of course it varies between med schools, but Peninsula for my year of entry interviewed a third of all applicants and then gave half offers. For places like Birmingham post itnerview offers are high, but others can be quite brutal.

Errrm as far as questions asked, I don't like to give out the exact questions; and tbf the information that UEA put on the website about the stations is all you really need to know - the subject of the questions, as you'll never know the actual questions yourself.

My academic information is all on my profile if you want to have a look

And hand-shaking was the one thing I was panicking about during my interview :p: Nobody advised me on what to do about it, so I offered my hand at the first couple of stations and they both looked at me a bit funny/it was unexpected so I didn't bother at the other stations, so I was worrying that I should be shaking their hands!! :p: Errrm I wouldn't say it's necessary - I did it for 2/7 stations and managed to get an offer :p:

And yeah, UEA is an awesome med school and I'm really loving it here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colabottles)
    I was rejected from Birmingham after interview - I went into this insane autopilot mode that was the complete opposite of myself and spouted crap for 15 minutes. I was 100% sure I'd be rejected afterwards. :lol:
    What do you mesn by autopilot mode?
    what happened? worried

ReputationRep:
    What do you mesn by autopilot mode?
    what happened? worried
    An odd state of mind where I was completely unaware of and unable to control what I was saying... :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.