Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have Your Degree Choices Changed Since Year 11 to Now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I first started looking at colleges I wanted to be a film director, so was looking at doing Media, Film Studies and Photography, then I realised I was quite good at English, so changed my mind to being an English teacher! That was towards the end of year 11, and since then I've only wanted to do English, with Philosophy being thrown in last year

ReputationRep:
    I've changed my mind a lot, but then realised that I was overthinking things and sort of relaxed about the whole application process and just sort of waited to see how well I did in my subjects. I knew biology was always up there, but wasn't really sure until relatively soon before I applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Yes

at 16 I wanted to do either Computer Forensics or Web Design.

Now I am far more interested in Computer Science. I guess it's because I taught myself web design and got more interested in programming and working things out.
    Wow that is exactly the same as me :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackWoot)
    Wow that is exactly the same as me :eek:
    Cool

So I'm not weird then haha !
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think Year 11 was the point where I finally accepted the inevitable and that I was gonna do a Music degree. Before then I'd been in denial

ReputationRep:
    Quite...when I was 14/15 I always felt that I was going to pursue History (yes, I love history), I actually wanted to do History/Classical Civilisation for a-levels, but then I grew an interest in Biology...now I am fully content on studying Chemistry. Recently I have been having thoughts about becoming a politician after my degree...lol

I forgot to add, when I was young I was obsessed with Harry Potter and so I really wanted to become an actress and specifically an actress in Harry Potter...
    Also when i was even younger I wanted to be a presenter

ReputationRep:
    My degree course choice hasn't changed since year 9/10 ish (and I know have an unconditional to study it).

Edit: Although I did consider ancient history for a few months last year.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't care about anything in year 11.

ReputationRep:
    omg yea.. i wanted to do medicine since yr 11 and then i switched to econ because i loved the subject once i did it for AS!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wanted to be an actor for ages, then hovered between Acting/Medicine until last year, when I read the course description for IR and was like, this degree was invented for me! Still love to act, but it's just too unstable a career for me, and Medicine is just too much of a life-commitment, so I think I made the right choice

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I'm such a massively flakey person. I want to study everything.

ReputationRep:
    During high school I was pretty certain I would study English Literature/History at university but during college started considering Politics/Economics. I'm not even quite sure now but there's no going back because I've sent off my UCAS

ReputationRep:
    Changed from Law to History. Decided instead of going through the Law shizzle and boring and that to do something I love which is History sooooo. Thought I'd go for it And this was 2 weeks before my UCAS deadline was due in ;D

ReputationRep:
    During my UCAS application i switched from Classical Civilisation and English Lit to Fine Art and English Lit
    I don't know if i thought about it in year 11, i knew what i wanted to be but didn't think of the routes until year 12.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, i'd really wanted to do Journalism for ages, but by the end of year 12 i massively hated Eng Lit (which doesn't really stop me from Journalism but ties in anyway), and suddenly grew the need and interest to do law... so I applied for Law with international relations

ReputationRep:
    well in year 11 i wanted to do chemistry at sussex, then join the marines, then music, then chemistry again, then i didn't want to go, then i wanted to do maths, then medicinal chemistry and now i have my heart set on maths

ReputationRep:
    I always kind of knew that I wanted to study Music but I have had times when I've considered Literature, German with ab initio Russian, Law and Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Hey all, I was just looking through an old email account of mine and saw an email I sent to several universities (Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Durham to name a few) in year 11. The email is below:

Dear Sir/ Madam

First of all I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that I may cause by intiating this E-Mail. My name is (My Name) and I currently attend Whitgift School, Croydon. I am currently in the final stages of Year 11 and as a result I am making several choices regarding my options for next year, in the Sixth Form. I am currently planning to take the International Baccalaureate. The subjects which I am studying are being dictated by what I wish to study in University which is Economics. I plan to study the following subjects:

Higher Level- English, Mathematics, Economics
    Standard Level- History, Biology, Spanish (Please note that this is an Ab Initio course)

However, my dilemma is my choice of Higher Level Mathematics. My Head of Mathematics has advised me not to take HL maths (despite me receiving an A* in my mock exams) because he believes I will not cope. However, after a large search I have found that if I was to choose SL maths instead of HL maths I would be at a significant disadvantage in terms of admission into the top universities. The only other option is that I take the A-Level course instead which, for personal reasons, find to be inadequate compared to the IB because of issues such as "Grade Inflation" and the lack of breadth. Therefore, I would like to know if there is any chance that I will be able to study Economics at your University, having taken SL maths instead of HL and if there have been many similar scenarios such as that of mine. I would also like to know if there are any alternatives which also involve Economics which will help to develop my passion for Economics.

Once again, I apologise for any inconvenience and do hope to here from you soon.

Yours faithfully,
    (My Name)
    Student at Whitgift School

:rofl2: Apart from the fact that I sound like a tool, it just got me thinking about how much has changed since Year 11. I now have two offers to study English, something completely different and I want to know if anyone has experienced this.
    Not that this is at all related, but I used to go to your school for fencing tournaments.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I didn't want to do A-levels, let alone go to uni. I wanted to do a Btec in Forensic Science and hopefully get a job (like on csi :facepalm2:) afterwards. The only reason I decided to do A-levels, was because the only college in walking distance only offered A-levels, and I'd have to take the bus for 30 mins to do the Btec, and I was too lazy for that :p:. Best decision I ever made though

In year 10 and half of year 11 I wanted to do dentistry at Newcastle, in fact, my parents ended up getting me a private tutor to get my maths GCSE so I could do sciences at A-level, I then changed my mind when applying for college.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the easy days of year 11. I remember getting As in Maths and Physics without really having to try too hard, but also the same in Geography and I loved it. So in the end I took Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Geography to AS level with the intention of either doing Physics or Geography at degree level... I proceeded to fail Physics, Maths and Chemistry with flying colours, Geography being the only AS I'm proud of (B). Quit school thinking my life was over and went to college as a bit of an afterthought. Decided to study a 3 A level equivalent in IT since I had always been good with computers and seemed to enjoy the challenges they created. I've now got offers to study IT at some half decent universities (i.e Liverpool) and couldn't be happier that I won't have to spend another moment of my life with Chemical formulae or ridiculous equations. A little sad I couldn't do Geography I suppose, but that's the way it goes

Year 11 seems ages ago, when in order to pass or get a half decent grade most people simply had to turn up to the lesson. I miss those days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.