Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. We've all been receiving similar letters over here. Also, you're allowed to watch iplayer without a license. So long as you're not streaming live TV then you won't need one.

When I was a student at university, we received a letter from our Halls of Residence provost that inspections will be carried out in each room in cooperation with TV licence inspectors. Many people were out for lectures and many got caught for not having a TV licence when the inspection took place, the majority was asked to buy a licence, only those that did not buy one within a few weeks were taken to court, including myself. My fine was £45 and £60 court fees.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rachelkeira)
      Well it did, seeing as people got caught and fined....
      The ONLY way it works is if people confess, let slip or if they can see the TV from the window. THERE ARE NO MAGIC DETECTING VANS. Yes, there are vans with "TV Licencing" painted on, but they have no more detecting equipment than any other regular white van.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by badgerkins)
      Ok, I sent a declaration and i'm waiting for the next step. Thanks for the help guys
      Amateur mistake.

ReputationRep:
      Me and everyone of my flatmates got those letters today as well, so I'm guessing they just send them out to everyone. Watching iplayer or 4oD, itv player etc. isn't illegal so you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
      Completely ignore them.

http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

ReputationRep:
      There is a whole sticky thread about TV Licensing and when you should or shouldn't have a license. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=598313

The short answer is You should havea TV license if you're watching a TV program as it's broadcast (whether it's on a TV, Computer or mobile phone) this also includes things like live streams on iplayer. If you're watching stuff after it was broadcast (most of iplayer etc.) then you don't need a license.

There are also a few exceptions for what could be described as portable equipment (running from internal batteries. Not on mains or connected to an aerial)

In the unlikely event of TVL visiting you don't have to let them in unless they have a warrant from the courts. If they regularly came knocking on your door you could probably report them to the police for harassment (or at least tell them that's what you're going to do)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by rachelkeira)
      Well it did, seeing as people got caught and fined....
      Lol what is this magic van? Wow you are so naive. You say you study at university? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      Everyone who doesn't have a licence gets one. It's kind of iffy that they say in a big red box (if I remember correctly) YOU ARE CURRENTLY UNDER INVESTIGATION, or something. I read it like, ffs, chill out guys.
      Just register that you don't have a TV. The letter tells you how to do this, then they'll send you a confirmation letter at some point, and then leave you alone.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.