Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the harsh reality that we are not all equal? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is the harsh reality that were not all equal?
    Yes, the truth is were not all equal.
    85.00%
    No, were all equal.
    13.00%
    I haven't got an opinion on this.
    2.00%

ReputationRep:
    at the fundamental level we are all equal, we are all human beings descendent from the apes

To relate it to modern times, no of course we're not all equal. We are all subject to human farming and the farmers are the ruling elite. They control every aspect of our lives. They impose a hierarchy with instruments such as , income level, class, religion, ethnicity which promote inequality on the farm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Perhaps in God's eyes were all equal, but right now on this planet, everything seems to be survival of the fittest.

- People are born more attractive than others. The most attractive not only have a much better chance of mating, but not only that they can use their appearance to gain advantages. Making money, popularity or being naturally more favoured above others.

- Some are more naturally intelligent than others. They're able to grasp calculations and theory with ease, where as most have to strive and study to get a general understanding.

- Some are born naturally talented, whether it be music, art, or sports, whilst others have to practice and work hard just to match their level of skill.

- Some individuals have a different levels of mental strength, by this I mean. Whilst some people's moods and emotions are easily knocked down, they become depressed and lack motivation to pick themselves up. Whilst others much more easily get back on their feet, and strive to get back on top things.

- Probably the most common difference on TSR, is the difference is social skills.
    Whilst a lot of people find it easy to make a good amount of friends and can easily interact with the opposite sex. On a daily base there are threads from the socially awkward, who have difficulty in this area.

- People are naturally stronger and taller than others. The fact that there are school bullies and the sort, suggests that from an early age some of us dominate the alpha-male position.

Naturally I get there is a great deal of out environmental influence. I dunno, I'm just bored and venting my thoughts.

What do you think?
    I'm sorry but to me all of this inequality is blindingly obvious stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever actually suggested that all humans are all equally endowed with intelligence, or attractiveness or strength etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bazlehman)
    Has anyone ever actually suggested that all humans are all equally endowed with intelligence, or attractiveness or strength etc?

Crazy guy living under a bridge count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excandersham)
    Crazy guy living under a bridge count?
    Only if he wears a suit and writes books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    I agree it's harsh, but life would be too boring and somehow meaningless if everyone was equal to each other. Just imagine.
    Dawkins addresses this...people often say that the suffering some people face (whether it be due to culture i.e Muslim women, depresion and jealousy due to ambition w/out talent i.e fottballing and ect.) but in reality its not the price we pay but the price they pay.

It's not sustainable to say others should have **** life just so we lucky ones can enjoy the spectacle.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps in God's eyes were all equal, but right now on this planet, everything seems to be survival of the fittest.

- People are born more attractive than others. The most attractive not only have a much better chance of mating, but not only that they can use their appearance to gain advantages. Making money, popularity or being naturally more favoured above others.

- Some are more naturally intelligent than others. They're able to grasp calculations and theory with ease, where as most have to strive and study to get a general understanding.

- Some are born naturally talented, whether it be music, art, or sports, whilst others have to practice and work hard just to match their level of skill.

- Some individuals have a different levels of mental strength, by this I mean. Whilst some people's moods and emotions are easily knocked down, they become depressed and lack motivation to pick themselves up. Whilst others much more easily get back on their feet, and strive to get back on top things.

- Probably the most common difference on TSR, is the difference is social skills.
    Whilst a lot of people find it easy to make a good amount of friends and can easily interact with the opposite sex. On a daily base there are threads from the socially awkward, who have difficulty in this area.

- People are naturally stronger and taller than others. The fact that there are school bullies and the sort, suggests that from an early age some of us dominate the alpha-male position.

Naturally I get there is a great deal of out environmental influence. I dunno, I'm just bored and venting my thoughts.

What do you think?
    Well obviously we are not equally endowed but does every human deserve to have their feelings respected? Absolutley imo.

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    No **** sherlock. You misunderstand what the phrase means. Everybody is different, so how can we be equal?

ReputationRep:
    "There is a world of difference between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal." - F.A. Hayek.

The only equality that is justified is equality under the law, where people have their rights respected. Attempting to give equality of opportunity, skill or outcome is anti-human.

ReputationRep:
    We aren't equal, it's ridiculous for some to pretend that we are.
    Although for some of your points, the effort has a LOT to do with it. Are some (like Asians these days) born extremely intelligent, given that they are accepted to top unis? Or do they just experience a lot of pressure from home. As the quote goes, "genius is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration".

But sure, some are given natural advantages, I think what kind of family you grow up in being the most important. What goes for school bullies, I think some of it is coincidence and some is confidence. Those who are now, at 20, the alpha males, were never school bullies. The bullies when i was a kid, were the academic losers who needed to feel strong in other areas. Which is why you should be nice to the geeks at school; you're going to work for them later.

ReputationRep:
    god created us equall in rights but in abilities we have to be different to continue each other if any one can do any thing no one needs the other and life will be a mess and boring..don't u think so... we need the doctor as we need the teacher as we need our parents and so on..

ReputationRep:
    i like how the mega rich people of the world have some how manipulated society to give themselves a huge advantage for example in nature a stronger animal may be able to get 3 times more resources than an average animal but us humans have some how been manipulated to allowing individuals to have 1000s of times more resources than an average person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    i like how the mega rich people of the world have some how manipulated society to give themselves a huge advantage for example in nature a stronger animal may be able to get 3 times more resources than an average animal but us humans have some how been manipulated to allowing individuals to have 1000s of times more resources than an average person
    x1000? more like x1,000,000,000. I heard that the top 3 richest people have about as much wealth as the annual GDP of all the small developing countries combined. But no use criticizing them, huh? we'd be happy in their shoes.

ReputationRep:
    We're born equal, and then our actions throughout life seperate us.

ReputationRep:
    "We are all equal, but some are more equal than others"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    We're born equal, and then our actions throughout life seperate us.
    The Queen was not born equal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If they've done something themselves which has lead to them being unequal then take that into account.
    How do you determine what is or isn't a person's fault? Circumstances beyond your control shape the person you become.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    How do you determine what is or isn't a person's fault? Circumstances beyond your control shape the person you become.
    If you cut class to have a cheeky smoke which resulted in you failing your exams and thus ended up with a crappy job, or no job. Then that's your fault, you could have taken an opportunity but you didn't.

If you got an illness which prevented you from attended lessons and thus you ended up in the same situation then that's not your fault (unless you intentionally got ill or something odd like that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    If you cut class to have a cheeky smoke which resulted in you failing your exams and thus ended up with a crappy job, or no job. Then that's your fault
    Is it, though? I think you missed the point of my post somewhat. Nobody makes an active, objective decision to fail. You are a product of your environment. Sure, actions are the result of both subconscious and conscious thought, but where do those thoughts come from? You don't get to choose what you think.

Drawing the line between what is and isn't one's "own fault" is not as straightforward a task as you are proposing and throwing out a couple of vague hypothetical situations doesn't go anywhere towards completing that task.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Is it, though? I think you missed the point of my post somewhat. Nobody makes an active, objective decision to fail. You are a product of your environment. Sure, actions are the result of both subconscious and conscious thought, but where do those thoughts come from? You don't get to choose what you think.

Drawing the line between what is and isn't one's "own fault" is not as straightforward a task as you are proposing and throwing out a couple of vague hypothetical situations doesn't go anywhere towards completing that task.
    I understand what you're saying. However I would say that for a lot of situations, it's pretty blindingly obivous that if you do or don't do something it will have a certain consequence. Some people choose to ignore that, or simply assume somebody will step in to help them or that things will work out alright of their own accord.
    You sometimes hear stories of people coming from pretty horrible backgrounds and going on to succeed in life, if they can make life work for themselve, so should anyone else. (Annoyingly I can't think of any names off the top of my head)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.