Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

who else hopes England's World cup Bid..... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hope we don't get it. It would be more interesting in another country.

ReputationRep:
    A bit unfair, is it not? you have the olympics next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    A bit unfair, is it not? you have the olympics next year.
    Brazil have the World Cup in 2014, and the Olympics in 2016... Probably best to have it that way, we will already have all the infrastructure, security and so in in place.

ReputationRep:
    I hope it fails too. Not because I hate Fifa but because the World Cup is unbearable as it is, all the worse if it is right on my doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    Brazil have the World Cup in 2014, and the Olympics in 2016... Probably best to have it that way, we will already have all the infrastructure, security and so in in place.
    oh I see...:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny.fletcher)
    Those who believe Britian will not benefit by hosting the World Cup need to study basic economics. Yes, hosting the World Cup has inevitablly roused suspition among non-football fans, this primarily due to the corruption and capitalist nature of the process. But it will give Britain a chance to show the world how great our country is and we able to cope on a world stage. Even if you detest the game you should stll be able to see the overwhelming benefits rather than the negatives.
    What are the overwhelming benefits?

ReputationRep:
    Why do world cup haters feel the need to tell people they hate the world cup in everythread about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny.fletcher)
    Those who believe Britian will not benefit by hosting the World Cup need to study basic economics. Yes, hosting the World Cup has inevitablly roused suspition among non-football fans, this primarily due to the corruption and capitalist nature of the process. But it will give Britain a chance to show the world how great our country is and we able to cope on a world stage. Even if you detest the game you should stll be able to see the overwhelming benefits rather than the negatives.
    I sgree but i dont get ur capitalist/corruption point.

As England has the stadia lots of money wont be wasted on an unused stadium like in SA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    What is happening in football is like a microcosm of capitalism itself. Professional football has always had a business dimension but more recently it has become so driven by money-grubbing aims that the football itself is just a vehicle for sponsorship and revenue streams. It's the same with the Olympics, these things have turned into money-spinning orgies, leeching off what used to be a noble spectacle.
    What is wrong with football turning into a global business? It has created vast amounts of wealth, jobs and prosperity and the quality of the football played these days is of a far higher calibre than ever before.

ReputationRep:
    I hope England wins as it would be fantastic to have the world cup here. Football coming home, we might even win!!!!!!!!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not that bothered to be honest. They'll probably use the Premiership model - genuine fans will no doubt be priced out in favour of the prawn sandwich brigade/corporate *****. Flame me all you want but i'd much rather take a trip to Spain/Portugal.

(Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    I agree with this totally. I go to Plymouth Uni and the Herald said we had our lowest gate of 4,000 at the last match. They can't fill a 10,500 capacity arena to save their lives so what the point wasting money on an even bigger venue?!?!?!
    I don't see the point of bringing it to Plymouth or MK to be honest. Argyle are in a financial mess and can barely attract fans to Home Park as it is, unless they're downsizing the stadium after the WC to say 20k i'm struggling to understand this. Talk about a white elephant.

(Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Why do world cup haters feel the need to tell people they hate the world cup in everythread about it?
    Because some people think they're cool for being different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
    we might even win!!!!!!!!!
    :toofunny:

Good joke.

ReputationRep:
    Would be absolutely fantastic to have it. Meh, screw the moaners. I don't even like football ffs but just the idea of it is brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why you're all against bringing the world cup to england, it's only going to bring the country forward. It is such a huge event for sports fans around the country and if football doesn't mean anything to you then you won't know how it feels. I really hope england get it, it'll transform the country and create an atmosphere of positivity.
    Imagine the change and the inspiration it will bring to the youth sporting scene. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...2018-world-cup

Russia won it.

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:
    2 votes , and one of them was the English official

so in reality: 1 vote.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Our media called them corrupt and this was the response, not much else to say on the issue really.

Personally I just wanted us to win for the massive economic benefits that would be given.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Our media called them corrupt and this was the response, not much else to say on the issue really.

Personally I just wanted us to win for the massive economic benefits that would be given.
    massive economic benefits ? yes for Fifa and their commercial partners. Fcuk all for you and me

(Original post by usainlightning)
      What is wrong with football turning into a global business? It has created vast amounts of wealth, jobs and prosperity and the quality of the football played these days is of a far higher calibre than ever before.
      What we have seen in football, and other sports, in recent years, is the power of capitalism to infiltrate and pervert the sport itself, beyond merely 'supporting' it and helping it grow. Presumably you're aware of all the betting scandals in which sportsmen have been lured by the power of money to cheat, lose games, or at least do something specific at a certain point in the game, for money. Elsewhere the power of capital to, say, determine where major sporting events will take place, is considered a potential issue. Some argue that the location of future world cups is being driven by the fact that locations that require major building programmes are being favoured because they will mean fifa-approved subcontracting, an easy scenario of bribery. Capitalism is, ultimately, a corrupting force, yes it pays for the technology and the equipment, but the virtues of the sports themselves are progressively drown out under the clamour of sponsorship, betting scandals and the like.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oswy)
      What we have seen in football, and other sports, in recent years, is the power of capitalism to infiltrate and pervert the sport itself, beyond merely 'supporting' it and helping it grow. Presumably you're aware of all the betting scandals in which sportsmen have been lured by the power of money to cheat, lose games, or at least do something specific at a certain point in the game, for money. Elsewhere the power of capital to, say, determine where major sporting events will take place, is considered a potential issue. Some argue that the location of future world cups is being driven by the fact that locations that require major building programmes are being favoured because they will mean fifa-approved subcontracting, an easy scenario of bribery. Capitalism is, ultimately, a corrupting force, yes it pays for the technology and the equipment, but the virtues of the sports themselves are progressively drown out under the clamour of sponsorship, betting scandals and the like.

Do you ever post anything that isn't about the evils of capitalism?

I can picture the scene:

"Hey Oswy, fancy a pint?"

Oswy: "The British public house is a well known method of capitalist oppression and exploitation of the proletariat since 1784 when....."

"You know what, nevermind"

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.