Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Current 3D tech will be worthless in about 2 years when non-glasses 3D goes mainstream, that and it is waaaaaay to big for most halls I struggle to fit my 22inch in.

ReputationRep:
    My living room tv hasn't even gone hd yet lol. Tv's are constantly improving and getting cheaper i'll just wait for the current one to break down then get the best deal. I couldn't see myself wanting to watch much in 3d tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    At the moment, I'm rocking a 32" Toshiba 1080P LCD, but recently, I've been drawn into all this 3D TV hype and was considering buying one. I've found (what I think is) a good deal on the Curry's website - a 50" 1080P 3D Samsung Plasma with a 3D Blu-Ray player, two pairs of 3D glasses and a Shred 3D Blu-Ray, for just shy of £900. Do you guys think it'd be worth investing in? I'd quite like to futureproof myself with 3D, as I was quite late to the party with HD.

Also, as I'm probably going to want to take it to university with me, do you think it'd be too big for my room in halls? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to fit my current 32 incher into a standard sized student dorm, but I'm not sure whether a 50 incher would be practical (or possible).

Anyway, yeah, think some thoughts about my dilemme, then type them out and hit 'reply to thread'. CHEERS.
    Not worth it mate. In a years time when its greatly improved youll be like one of the people who got a 720p tv in all the HD hype.

Also, I have a 37 inch toshiba and its really good. But seriously its the absolute max in halls. Any bigger would not physically fit in my room.

ReputationRep:
    The same TV will probably be cheaper on another website. John Lewis have a couple of good packages (usually price matched to Amazon) and all their TVs come with a 5 year warranty as standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Not worth it mate. In a years time when its greatly improved youll be like one of the people who got a 720p tv in all the HD hype.

Also, I have a 37 inch toshiba and its really good. But seriously its the absolute max in halls. Any bigger would not physically fit in my room.
    Yeah, I am kinda having second thoughts about it tbh. I was thinking maybe an LED TV would be better, and perhaps more futureproof.

(Original post by Addzter)
      Yeah, I am kinda having second thoughts about it tbh. I was thinking maybe an LED TV would be better, and perhaps more futureproof.
      LED is not necessarily better. From what I've seen, they seem to be overly expensive and the whole LED thing just seems to be a bit of a gimmick. If you were willing to pay the price tag that is attached to a good LED TV, I'd go for a Panasonic plasma HD TV. Especially the G20 which is a fantastic TV.

Plasma TV's offer a much more crisp, realistic image with fantastic colour depth and awesome black levels. Panasonic are highly regarded for their plasma TVs and the fact that they have gotten hold of Pioneer Kuro technology (the Pioneer Kuro TV is considered to be the best on the market), and that some of this tech is in the G20, makes it worth a look.

You'll still have to burn in a plasma TV, but at least they've virtually eliminated image retention.

ReputationRep:
      Personally i would wait it out for a while until prices drop like they did with HDTV although to be fair i am shocked to see 3DTV at £1000 already, besides i have heard that Panasonic have a 3DTV which don't require the glasses (i think they are the only thing which is a pain in the butt with 3DTV at the moment)

Then again if you have the money you may as well splash out now and possibly upgrade again down the line when 3DTV has advanced and is a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
      Can you turn it back into a normal HDTV? or is it fixed to just 3D?

ReputationRep:
      It's happened quite often that a new piece of technology comes out, but it ends up being a bit of a flop because there isn't enough content for it, or because something even better caught on straight afterwards. It's happened with MiniDiscs, HD DVDs, and kind of with Plasma Screen TVs too.

You wouldn't want to buy a 3D TV, only to find out that a couple of months later they've brought out something even better, like a 3D TV which doesn't require those glasses, and then everyone stops producing content for ordinary 3D TVs and moves over to the newer technology, and you've basically wasted your money. I'd say wait a while until they've penetrated the market a bit more, and the prices have gone down.
      In fact, Nintendo have already developed the 3DS handheld console which doesn't require glasses. It may be on a small scale now, but I'd guess that autostereoscopic TVs are probably only just round the corner.

Having said that, watching football in 3D is awesome.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willum Infanta)
      Can you turn it back into a normal HDTV? or is it fixed to just 3D?
      Yes, you can watch in ordinary High Definition and Standard Definition as well. You don't have to watch everything in 3D. (A lot of content isn't even available in 3D yet anyway).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tazarooni89)
      Yes, you can watch in ordinary High Definition and Standard Definition as well. You don't have to watch everything in 3D. (A lot of content isn't even available in 3D yet anyway).
      Oh right, that's pretty handy...if you've got the money I don't see why you wouldn't get one. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      Unless you have your small cinema then no. 3-D gets really boring, I'd rather have really good HD or Blueray quality with a movie that is good not only because it has 3-D features

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Willum Infanta)
      Oh right, that's pretty handy...if you've got the money I don't see why you wouldn't get one. :dontknow:
      Presumably because even if you've got the money, you want to be sure you're not wasting it. Prices are likely to be coming down soon, and I don't think current 3D TVs are particularly futureproof, seeing as they've only just entered the market. We can't yet be sure that there'll be enough 3D content to make it a worthwhile purchase either. Personally I'd wait a while, even if I have got the money.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.