Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

best place to order a pizza? Watch

ReputationRep:
    From your house of residence ideally, other interesting places are: From your university campus, your high school as well as from standing outside of the store itself

Best pizza delivery in the Uk on the other hand? Dominoes, closely followed by Papa Johns. Avoid Pizza hut like bird flu

ReputationRep:
    Premier Pizza in Malvern Link. I miss it so.

ReputationRep:
    'Pizza hut', 'Dominoes', 'Pzza express', 'Papa johns'? As an italian i'd say these are the worst places to buy a pizza. The best place would be to buy one from a local take away, preferably italian but even Indian take aways do decent pizza (providing they make their own dough).

ReputationRep:
    From your local takeaway seriously. Got a leaflet in from Dominoes "any pizza any size £8.99" is that supposed to be cheap?? Could get 2 or 3 pizzas from your local takeaway with chips and drinks. And Pizza Hut does not taste good.

ReputationRep:
    dominos purely for chicken wings with spicy sauce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I have a counter argument: my local independent pizzeria was recently shut down by health and safety for having a vermin problem, and their pizza tastes (or tasted :mmm:) disgusting.

On the other hand, the Domino's has very nice pizza and we can get two 13" pizzas delivered for £10 - yes, a touch more expensive than the independent was, but it doesn't come with the added topping of rat ****, which is always a good thing. We may have just got lucky, though - can't talk for all Domino's obviously.

Although neither can you, to be fair.

EDIT: And I don't waste my reps on negging people, so that wasn't me.

Yes, obviously you have to pick your pizzeria carefully. But to some extent you've backed up my point: if it's dodgy it's going to be shut down. Big capitalist chains like Domino's get trade simply because of their recognisable name; it doesn't matter about the quality of the pizza, because people will always order Domino's. Whereas the only thing an independent pizzeria can trade on is its reputation for quality. It has to be good or it will go under.

The difference between Dominos and a good independent pizzeria is the same difference between McDonalds and your local high quality restaurant, except imagine a happy meal cost you £25. Only an idiot would eat there... right?

ReputationRep:
    Buy it frozen from iceland, and buy some extra cheese and cooked mini sausage, less then what you'd pay for in the shop :P.

1 10inch thick crust pizza filled with extra cheese, chorizo's and chilli's fills me up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Yes, obviously you have to pick your pizzeria carefully. But to some extent you've backed up my point: if it's dodgy it's going to be shut down. Big capitalist chains like Domino's get trade simply because of their recognisable name; it doesn't matter about the quality of the pizza, because people will always order Domino's. Whereas the only thing an independent pizzeria can trade on is its reputation for quality. It has to be good or it will go under.

The difference between Dominos and a good independent pizzeria is the same difference between McDonalds and your local high quality restaurant, except imagine a happy meal cost you £25. Only an idiot would eat there... right?
    I think if a customer complained that there was animal fur on his pizza that he ordered from Domino's, it would also be investigated and shut down.

Also, you're ignoring the possibility that some people might like Domino's or McDonalds.

ReputationRep:
    I think if a customer complained that there was animal fur on his pizza that he ordered from Domino's, it would also be investigated and shut down.

Also, you're ignoring the possibility that some people might like Domino's or McDonalds.
    Nah, Dominos have the requisite capital to just hire a cleaning firm to sort out the kitchen before the news got out. Geez, they probably have a team of lawyers on standby with a silencing order. They could just say they were "refurbishing", then they would just sack the one set of 16 year old nosepickers and hire another lot.

It is indeed possible that some people prefer Domino's to good pizza, in the same way that is it possible that some people prefer McDonalds to fillet steak (these people are commonly referred to as "idiots"). But its more likely that they simply haven't tasted good pizza, because they haven't got the breadth of imagination to order food from a non-chain restaurant.

Dominos better be one whole lot better when it costs literally three times the price fora fraction of the choice of toppings.

ReputationRep:
    Pizza Hut or Domino's.:sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Dominos have the requisite capital to just hire a cleaning firm to sort out the kitchen before the news got out. Geez, they probably have a team of lawyers on standby with a silencing order. They could just say they were "refurbishing", then they would just sack the one set of 16 year old nosepickers and hire another lot.

It is indeed possible that some people prefer Domino's to good pizza, in the same way that is it possible that some people prefer McDonalds to fillet steak (these people are commonly referred to as "idiots"). But its more likely that they simply haven't tasted good pizza, because they haven't got the breadth of imagination to order food from a non-chain restaurant.

Dominos better be one whole lot better when it costs literally three times the price fora fraction of the choice of toppings.
    Fillet steak is too much chewing for not much flavour; McDonalds make you feel happy.

And I'm beginning to realise we have an infinitely better Domino's here than wherever you are, because a) we have adult, English workers in the kitchen and the counter, b) it's cheaper than a couple of the independents and c) it's a whole lot nicer than any of the other local (and by 'local', I mean ones that will deliver) pizzerias.

ReputationRep:
    Fillet steak is too much chewing for not much flavour; McDonalds make you feel happy.

And I'm beginning to realise we have an infinitely better Domino's here than wherever you are, because a) we have adult, English workers in the kitchen and the counter, b) it's cheaper than a couple of the independents and c) it's a whole lot nicer than any of the other local (and by 'local', I mean ones that will deliver) pizzerias.
    If you mean the one on Hill's Road...

ReputationRep:
    If you mean the one on Hill's Road...
    No, I don't actually live in Cambridge, so Hills Road isn't my nearest one.

Is it none too good?

ReputationRep:
    Your local independent pizzeria, where someone who actually knows how to make pizzas makes your pizza, as opposed to the spotty teenage temp at Dominos/Pizza Hut making your pizza with his finger up his nose.

My local pizzeria for example, does two 12 inch pizzas, any toppings you like (out of a choice of about 40), with free delivery, for £8.

If that isn't your thing, and you prefer low quality pizza at extortionate prices, then I would heartily recommend Dominos: even with a voucher you are still paying roughly twice what you should be, and the quality is ****.

EDIT: If you disagree, at least offer some kind of counter argument. neg repping a pizza preference is the definition of pathetic.
    You are right. Even paying half price, I was paying £5 for a medium margherita. What the **** is that about? Even that is more then its worth.

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't actually live in Cambridge, so Hills Road isn't my nearest one.

Is it none too good?
    Well it's the same as every other Domino's I've ever had (give em some credit at least they're consistent), in that it was dry and overcooked with a very thin helping of topping. We have it at works functions and everyone complains about how dreadful it is. We had Pizza Hut instead last time, and that wasn't much better (at least it wasn't burnt though). Even if it was passable, I would still never buy it myself because paying more than £5 for a takeaway pizza would make me so angry I couldn't enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Dominoes or the local indian take away.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's the same as every other Domino's I've ever had (give em some credit at least they're consistent), in that it was dry and overcooked with a very thin helping of topping. We have it at works functions and everyone complains about how dreadful it is. We had Pizza Hut instead last time, and that wasn't much better (at least it wasn't burnt though). Even if it was passable, I would still never buy it myself because paying more than £5 for a takeaway pizza would make me so angry I couldn't enjoy it.
    Ok then, I'm obviously just lucky where I am - it's nothing like that. And you can get it for £5.

ReputationRep:
    Ok then, I'm obviously just lucky where I am - it's nothing like that. And you can get it for £5.
    Say I ring Dominos on a Friday night. I want a large (12inch min) pizza with the exact topping combination of my choice (8 toppings). How much would that cost?

(I had a Domino's leaflet through my door this morning so I actually know the answer)

From my local pizzeria its £4 for comparison.

ReputationRep:
    if you want a great deal with home delivery, then the best place to order a pizza is at home.

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you use just-eat.co.uk to order your takeaways?...I also agree with those who are saying look at local alternatives to the national (international even) pizza chains - their just too expensive!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.